Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
shew01

Default iPhone App to Track Maintenance, Fuel Ups, Etc.

I currently use the “Road Trip” iPhone app to track car maintenance, fill ups, etc. for my Model A. It does an okay job. It lets me save comments (like how I was able to take something apart) to the data entry items for future reference, but it doesn’t allow storage of pictures. It also syncs its data only to Dropbox for a backup. I’d rather get off of Dropbox if I could.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone car maintenance app that allows storage of pictures and syncs with OneDrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Tobey

Default Re: iPhone App to Track Maintenance, Fuel Ups, Etc.

I don't think it exists for iPhone, (sorry, but it might help someone else reading this thread), but I use an android app called My Cars. It does pretty much everything you want, except you have to periodically manually backup the data. No automatic sync. I've been using it since 2011.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
shew01

Default iPhone App to Track Maintenance, Fuel Ups, Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
I don't think it exists for iPhone, (sorry, but it might help someone else reading this thread), but I use an android app called My Cars. It does pretty much everything you want, except you have to periodically manually backup the data. No automatic sync. I've been using it since 2011.

Hmmm... I found a “My Car” app for the iPhone. I don’t know if it is what you are using, but I’ll check it out. (I posted because I had previously tried a number of other iPhone apps that didn’t really meet my needs.)

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by shew01; 05-25-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Tobey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Hmmm... I found a “My Car” app for the iPhone. I don’t know if it is what you are using, but I’ll check it out. (I posted because I had previously tried a number of other iPhone apps that didn’t really meet my needs.)

Thanks for the tip.

I looked it up. Definitely not the same app.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 AM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
I looked it up. Definitely not the same app.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I keep notes in a small, $1 ringed note book and keep one in each car.
Now I’m trying “notes” on my phone. A separate note folder for each car. It uses iCloud. Seems to work because it gives me my notes when I am away from the car.
I still like the separate little book for each car that has all the history on the car since purchase. Nice book to pass off to the next owner. I don’t bother with how much gas I put in it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Now I’m trying “notes” on my phone. A separate note folder for each car. It uses iCloud. Seems to work because it gives me my notes when I am away from the car.
I still like the separate little book for each car that has all the history on the car since purchase. Nice book to pass off to the next owner. I don’t bother with how much gas I put in it.

I do something similar for all of our “modern” cars. The only downside is that a prospective buyer sometimes wants the log, which I prefer to hang onto (mostly for sentiment value I guess). Cars have always seemed to be “part of the family” for me. Lol

Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
Cape Codder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Hey there JacksonIII
I was just wondering if that $1 Ringed Note Book automatically syncs to your computer or do you have to manually sync it? Have "A" Great Day tomorrow!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Hey there JacksonIII
I was just wondering if that $1 Ringed Note Book automatically syncs to your computer or do you have to manually sync it? Have "A" Great Day tomorrow!
I have a 3 ring binder to track maintanence on my vehicles as well. 2 work trucks, 2 DD, 2 classics and half dozen motorcycles. Each vehicle has a tab and a spreadsheet I printed. I can enter info anytime I want. I put receipts in a paper file. Has worked great for me for years. No need for electricity to make an entry! I even keep a paper log for DOT stuff!! I love computers/phones but my experience with them is that they become obsolete after a few years time, then its on to figuring out another system that fits, or having to transfer data. I like to keep things as simple and uncomplicated as possible.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I currently use the “Road Trip” iPhone app to track car maintenance, fill ups, etc. for my Model A. It does an okay job. It lets me save comments (like how I was able to take something apart) to the data entry items for future reference, but it doesn’t allow storage of pictures. It also syncs its data only to Dropbox for a backup. I’d rather get off of Dropbox if I could.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone car maintenance app that allows storage of pictures and syncs with OneDrive?

On the iPhone, look at Fuelly. It remembers fuel fills, services done, notes you make for yourself, and you can add reminders. You can save pictures. You can save data for multiple vehicles. It keeps the data in the cloud, you can get to it from the web through their website. You can download it from their website into a text file for import into Excel.

I use it to keep records for all of my modern cars and trucks, my antique cars, my wife's JetSkis, and even my car hauler trailer.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
On the iPhone, look at Fuelly. It remembers fuel fills, services done, notes you make for yourself, and you can add reminders. You can save pictures. You can save data for multiple vehicles. It keeps the data in the cloud, you can get to it from the web through their website. You can download it from their website into a text file for import into Excel.

I use it to keep records for all of my modern cars and trucks, my antique cars, my wife's JetSkis, and even my car hauler trailer.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
PalAl

I have two, (almost ready for the 3rd) 3 in. 8 1/2 x 11 style binders that have tracked work completed, parts purchased and anything related to my car that goes back to the late 70's. I also have tracked cost.... YIKES! I have lots of clear plastic front folders with information on most parts for the car for fast refference for future maintenance. And yes... friends ask if I am anal or have any bouts with OCD. Just nice records to have. Did I say friends?? LOL
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Not an app either, but Excel works fantastic for me as I can keep all of my vehicles on a separate tab. When you own half a dozen antique cars, off-road vehicles, RVs, trailers, personal vehicles, yada-yada, having something you create that fits your way of thinking is better than a pre-made app.

The benefit of this for me on a spreadsheet is you/I can add a list of tasks that need to be done on each car to plan for the future, along with making a 'running' parts list for your favorite parts vendor. Maybe you noticed you need to replace a choke rod grommet in the future, -or maybe you want an extra carburetor gasket. Both of those items are not big costly to ship by themselves, and you might forget about them when ordering parts for a specific project, but an ongoing list of parts needed in the future is a great reminder.

Also, you can use Excel to sync to your Outlook Calendar, and sync your phone to Outlook Calendar. When I am on tour with my own antique vehicles (-or even my modern vehicles), I use Notes on my phone to make a list of items such as new rattles/noises I hear, or items I want to check later as we have driven that leg of the day. Once I am home, I copy my notes onto my spreadsheet where I can remember what all I wanted to do during maintenance time.

Also, since I log tours, events, and such on my Calendar, I can use my phone calendar to send myself 'reminders' a few weeks prior that will remind me when I need to begin checking over a vehicle. This gives me time to order any necessary parts, -or make any last minute repairs prior to the event. This also works for your trailer, your tow vehicle, swap meet stuff you plan to take, etc. etc..

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #14
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Not an app either, but Excel works fantastic for me as I can keep all of my vehicles on a separate tab. When you own half a dozen antique cars, off-road vehicles, RVs, trailers, personal vehicles, yada-yada, having something you create that fits your way of thinking is better than a pre-made app.

The benefit of this for me on a spreadsheet is you/I can add a list of tasks that need to be done on each car to plan for the future, along with making a 'running' parts list for your favorite parts vendor. Maybe you noticed you need to replace a choke rod grommet in the future, -or maybe you want an extra carburetor gasket. Both of those items are not big costly to ship by themselves, and you might forget about them when ordering parts for a specific project, but an ongoing list of parts needed in the future is a great reminder.

Also, you can use Excel to sync to your Outlook Calendar, and sync your phone to Outlook Calendar. When I am on tour with my own antique vehicles (-or even my modern vehicles), I use Notes on my phone to make a list of items such as new rattles/noises I hear, or items I want to check later as we have driven that leg of the day. Once I am home, I copy my notes onto my spreadsheet where I can remember what all I wanted to do during maintenance time.

Also, since I log tours, events, and such on my Calendar, I can use my phone calendar to send myself 'reminders' a few weeks prior that will remind me when I need to begin checking over a vehicle. This gives me time to order any necessary parts, -or make any last minute repairs prior to the event. This also works for your trailer, your tow vehicle, swap meet stuff you plan to take, etc. etc..

I keep a parts list in Excel as well. I agree. It makes parts ordering much manageable. Before using Excel for tracking parts, sometimes I reordered items that I already had on hand by mistake.

Also, it’s nice to be able to search Excel to determine who the supplier was (and the date) for a parts that is on my shelf.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #15
Nabco

I use DayOne, it’s actually a journaling app, it allows you to document by day and time and allows you to save pics and videos to each post.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #16
MikeK

When I think back about all the maintenance and repairs I've done on cars over the years I would like an app to make me forget!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 AM   #17
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
When I think back about all the maintenance and repairs I've done on cars over the years I would like an app to make me forget!
I think a lot of us are in that boat, the others are just missing out on all the Fun???

Mike what part of the Windy City are you from? I grew up in Logan Square and Norwood Park/Edison Park area. SuperDawg...MMMMMMM
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
I think a lot of us are in that boat, the others are just missing out on all the Fun???

Mike what part of the Windy City are you from? I grew up in Logan Square and Norwood Park/Edison Park area. SuperDawg...MMMMMMM
Grew up just south and east of Belmont/Central. Now near Oriole Park, just south of Res. Hospital and the Kennedy. You should know that area LOVE SUPERDAWG. . .
Old 05-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #19
Jack Shaft
BANNED

All my cars have an odometer,in a glance I can see when the next service is due.As for parts I change them when they wear out or break..fuel? That littleglass at the top of the dash with the fractions on it....done.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #20
MikeK

It appears the societal regression from books and paper to apps and internet has redefined behavior. Anal retentiveness, once an oddity, has become the norm. I realize this as I type . . . on my laptop. Now I'm worrying about the next software or app updates crashing.