Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default 30-31 pickup cab

I have a 30-31 pickup cab that was damaged badly. The right side of the rear part of the cab behind the doors where it wraps around the back of the cab has been pushed in pretty bad. We tried pushing it back out with a porta-power and when we released the pressure it springs right back in. I didn't kn ow if heating it up would hurt it or not. Can someone offer any ideas? I'd love to find a complete right hand panel that wraps around from the belt line down but so far no luck so I guess I'll have to figure out a way to fix mine. thanks, Mike
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Pdgx

Default Re: 30-31 pickup cab

Sounds like you still have something out of alignment/square that is pushing it back. I wouldn’t use any heat until you get it close.

Have any pics from a few angles ?
Pdgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
john charlton

The problem you have is that the damaged area is stretched and no matter how hard you push and pull it you will never win . You can shrink panels by heating/ quenching but I think by the sounds of it the damage is too bad for that . You really do need to bolt the cab to a straight frame . First try to get the door to open and close cleanly with the right gaps . I have the same problem with a 30/31 P/U cab which had been burnt out in a fire . The whole rear panel being badly buckled . I bolted it hard down on a frame and got the doors true . I then made suitable vertical cuts with a cut off wheel . I could then dress the panel back to shape with hammer and dolley . Nearly finished and it is coming out OK The only problem is the cab is in Chandler AZ and I am in Suffolk County England Covid 19 has stopped me DRAT !!! . Do not persist with the portapower as you could be introducing more stretching . If you do not have a MIG welder enlist the help of a friendly rodder some of these guys are real artists chopping the top on a 36 coup for instance . You will need to use bondo but if used correctly it will last forever .My 31 AA truck has solid bondo in since 1985 and no problems . Post some pics so we can see what you need to do .

John in bitterly cold 28 degrees with 50 MPH wind Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Mike/Nebraska

Do you know how to post picture that are on my phone? My doors both open and close but not latch. There's no crease so to speak, originally the cab was pulled back. If I can figure our how to post the pics on my phone I will. Just not computer savvy.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
Pdgx

See if this makes sense to upload from your phone.

Make sure you are on the advanced posting page by clicking at the bottom on
‘Go Advanced’. Pic #1

Then click on ‘Manage Attachments’. Pic #2

Then click on ‘Choose File’ then ‘Photo Library’ Pic#3

Then choose the photo from your phone album.

However, this forum does not like large photo files - (If they are larger than about 1/2 meg (500kb) they will not be allowed when you select them, and you will need to ‘resize’ them with another app.) if this happens, let us know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A193B913-41FE-4710-9FC3-B08A992AF944.jpg (49.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 759CA760-B741-4096-9DAF-EC8782EB5DBC.jpg (37.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 55D56F5F-B8C1-4512-9ED8-C2207AFC03DB.jpg (51.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Mike/Nebraska

Here are the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2357.jpg (40.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2356001.jpg (51.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Pdgx

Ya that hurt.

If I were doing that, I’d probably separate the back wall completely, and lay it down, using plywood to keep the belt line seam from being damaged, and work on it horizontally.

It looks like the panel is still in pretty good shape without serious rust through, so structurally it looks good.
It will take some work pressing and pulling it back in shape, but very doable from what I’m seeing. Looks like the front right of the panel is folded inward, which will keep the back from standing up where it belongs.
Using a flat floor will give you a much better idea of what you need to do to get it squared up.
Careful doing a any beating on the large wall, as large flat panels are the hardest to make look right after they’ve been beat on.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
Here are the pics
IMO, it is not that hard to repair, ...just time consuming. As mentioned above, the rear section needs to be removed and repaired. Once repaired, then re-install correcting the door gaps. This will correct your latching issues.

If you feel you are in over your head, I have a friend named Pat Brubaker in Hastings that is a metalshaping teacher. You can likely take one or two of his classes which would allow you access to some of his tooling which would make this go much easier (-and faster.). The experience you would gain will likely help you in other areas too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #9
Mike/Nebraska

That picture was when I bought it. The corner you saw pushed in was way worse, but we pushes it back with a porta power and when we released it it sprang back. Right now it's being held out by a 2x4. Now as it sits the left side is really close and the passenger side is close, but it still, has the 2x4 holding it out. Maybe it would be best if I took the back of the cab of.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #10
Mike/Nebraska

Oh and thanks for the replies. It'll probably be spring before I mess with i again.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
Mike/Nebraska

Thanks Brent, and I will take the back of the cab back off. It's gonna have to get warmer before I mess with it as I don't have room in the garage right now.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
Mike/Nebraska

Brent, how would you go about straightening it once the back of the cab is off? Is using heat a no no? If the cab corner needs pushed back out will spreading it with a porta power and heating it while it's spread hurt it. I'm not much of a body man.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
Brent, how would you go about straightening it once the back of the cab is off? Is using heat a no no? If the cab corner needs pushed back out will spreading it with a porta power and heating it while it's spread hurt it. I'm not much of a body man.
PM me your phone number and we will chat about it offline.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote