Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
davidGR

Default Turn Signal Advice and vacuum line

Morning guys,

I need some advice, I'm in the process of adding turn signals to my Model A before the big metro cruise is Grand Rapids this weekend, I'm using the Union Pacific switch I got off Ebay here

1. I have to do anything different or backwards for this switch since my car is positive ground?

2. on the back end, when I took apart the Duo Light tail lights, it appears the the parking light has a two filament bulb, but only one filament is being used for the park lights, the other is just sitting in the loom taped up (almost looks like the PO was going to add turn signals and just never got around to it) the question: Did Duo Light make a a light like this or did the PO solder new light sockets in there?

2A. Since I have the open light on the park bulb should I just wire my turn signals to that light? Or should I wire them with to the stop light like the instructions say?? Is the stop light brighter, better for turn signals?

3. I noticed the other day that I have steel line that threads into the firewall and out to the engine but isn't connected to anywhere, on the inside the line runs up my right right side of my windshield behind the interior panels, was this for a fan?

3A. If this was for the fan, what type did it take? and where do I connect it to the engine if I want to return to the vacuum fan? Does anyone have pictures of there's?

Last edited by davidGR; 08-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Jim K 1119

Default Re: Turn Signal Advice and vacuum line

The steel line (vacuum) is for the wiper
Jim K 1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Big hammer

I’ve thought turn signals in the head lights would be a good place, but with the head lights on how would that work!
Adding lights to your bumper brackets not to difficult. LED’s are ground sensitive, incandescent bulbs are not! Follow your instructions with the turn signal kit.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Badpuppy

The tail lamp socket has been replaced, the original is a single contact like the brake socket. I would go ahead and use your extra contact for the turn signals. Then you won't have to mess with the brake circuit at all - your signals will be on a separate circuit. Just insulate and tie back the wire that goes to the brake switch.

Another thing, the bulbs are probably 21/3 cp (1154 or 1158); 3cp is pretty dim for either signal or running lights, although the original tails were 3cp.

Yes, the vacuum line runs above the windshield to the wiper.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Ronald

Stop lights are 1029 ?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Badpuppy

Stop lights are #1129 - 21CP.

Another thing - don't tear up the paint on your column for the pilot light ground. I opened up the switch and soldered a 18AWG wire direct to the socket and ran it with the bundle and connected it with a #12-24 nut behind the D-nut holding the cowl welt to the left side. (That's where one of the three harness brackets mounts, if you have cowl lights.) You can also just hang the wire end between the clamp and switch body if you don't want to open up the switch.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote