Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
lakeside

Default god bless the Chinese but...

I just received a complete set of wheel bearings and see they are made in China. Brattons sells U.S. and Mexico made wheel bearings. I was going to return the Chinese products but would like to know if anyone out there can give me some real proof that it makes a difference. Thanks.
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: god bless the Chinese but...

A couple years ago I had to replace wheel bearings on both sides on the front of my 1999 Olds. I bought the expensive one for one side, and the cheap Chinese one for the other side. So far both are doing fine. I think I paid extra money for no good reason on the left side.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

As far as buying anything from a foreign country ......... appears every prosperous Country has a good restaurant and a so-so restaurant ...... just have to shop & look .... likewise with foreign manufacturing.

After hearing what China "was" like, a few years ago ..... a visit to Modern, Prosperous China today would blow the socks off of most visiting foreigners ...... especially if compared to our abandoned parts of U.S. cities "today" ...... that "were" so very prosperous with manufacturing when China was not.

Forums like this can help lots to share recent, past "good" experiences with foreign made parts.

Thanks, Mr. Tom W. for your comment.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Synchro909

A common term for shoddy workmanship is "Gerrybuilt". Think about where that came from. After WWI, the Germans were not liked in most of the world and were in a bad way economically so to find markets, they had to cut prices. That meant poor quality, hence Gerrybuilt. No one now would call everything German made to be poor quality. They found markets and success and have moved on to making better products. The Chinese are no different. We are used to seeing rubbish come out of China and that is often because of poor control over standards by our businesses who buy over there and sell here. They will/are improving.
Just because something is foreign made does not mean it is rubbish.
America has about 5% of the world's population, I believe. That means that to 95% of the people in the world, Americans are foreigners and US made is foreign made.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I personally find the title line to be outlandish and reprehensible taking God's name in vain. The subject of wheel bearings does not relate to God in any manner. I would hope the monitors or the poster would remove this post. It appears to be an attempt to be funny that blatantly failed. I have given it one star because you can not give less. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 11-20-2016 at 08:26 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
lakeside

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. There still seems to be, in general, a negative reaction to Chinese manufacturing regarding automotive parts. That's why I was looking for some ''real proof'' rather than anecdotal comments.( I suppose anecdotal could be interpreted as real proof). If I install these bearings and there're junk, you'll be hearing my anecdotal proof on this forum.
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
ursus

The fact of Chinese manufacture is of minimal concern if the entity arranging for production set standards for quality that are equal to what would have been produced in the OEM country. If Timken or SKS puts their name on the product, that would mean something. If it is from some generic Chairman Mao's Backyard Foundry, don't plan it lasting around the block. Another thing to consider is the possibility of counterfeit product labeling, which has become real problem with some critical items like fasteners.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
updraught

If it is a matter of life and death, I use Japanese bearings.

Much less likely to be fake.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

have never had a chinese bearing hold up for long. they do not know how to make them.

their alloys are suspect. a knowledgeable person told me they just melt down all the different grades of steel that comes in from the scrap ships into one big pot and pay no attention to maintaining/making specific alloys. All the steel I have seen from there is very soft. Tom, I think you got lucky. I wish I could say I have had the same experience. I have had air tools disintegrate their bearings literally within 5 min.

Timken uses various overseas manufacturing but I have not seen once that their country of origin was china. I make it a point to track down Timken bearings for every purpose I encounter. Never had a problem

Bottom line , use whatever you want

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-20-2016 at 08:45 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
TinCup

When a US company sources parts overseas they determine their profit margin they want to make on any goods. When the manufacturer can't make that margin then of course sacrifices are made. I have manufactured goods in Taipei, Singapore, Phillipines and of course China. Brains are brains, hands are hands if the product is of inferior quality the cause is almost always the constraints made to make the margins.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
Rex_A_Lott

You may just be the first person I've ever seen say God BLESS the Chinese bearing makers.
I can remember when everything from Japan was considered crap. They gradually learned that it was going to take a higher standard. Now look at them, pretty well respected.
There is a similar thread going on over on the HAMB right now, if anybody cares to read it:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...rings.1040371/
I prefer name brand stuff myself, Timken, Torrington, SKF, FAG, and others. Most of those try to ensure some sort of quality control, regardless of where its made.
Good Luck

Last edited by Rex_A_Lott; 11-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
tbirdtbird
BANNED

molds....bearings

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-20-2016 at 10:11 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
mshmodela

In the end it boils down to the quality of the Chinese steel --it can vary a lot...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A couple years ago I had to replace wheel bearings on both sides on the front of my 1999 Olds. I bought the expensive one for one side, and the cheap Chinese one for the other side. So far both are doing fine. I think I paid extra money for no good reason on the left side.
Tom,
This almost screams for a comment about the cost of things for the left vs the right but you might be doing a lot more turns to the left and thus be putting less strain on the let side bearings!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I lived and worked in China for five years in automotive engineering and have some knowledge of this.
What you described totally false.
They make all types of standard and specialty steel, and it is not low quality.
Many US buyers prefer to buy the cheapest lowest cost products they can find.
That is the problem - The buyer.

I always have at least a couple large injection molds built each year in China for the last 12 years. I also have some built in Detroit and Windsor Ontario.
I worked at the Embassy In Beijing and the Trade office in Peking and I totally agree with you. They didn't make their satellites from American made parts. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 11-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
Tom,
This almost screams for a comment about the cost of things for the left vs the right but you might be doing a lot more turns to the left and thus be putting less strain on the let side bearings!
It's a bearing and hub assembly, and surprisingly easy to install.
One side was $125 and the other was $60.

Just a warning.....it was my fault they went out in the first place. I installed new disc pads but didn't lubricate the slides for the disc brakes, so they dragged a bit and overheated the rotors and bearings. I figured since it was winter time when I installed the pads, they would soon wear in and not overheat. BIG mistake.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

We use the "CONSUMER FRIENDLY" hubs, bearings, rotors alot here at the shop.. the cost is usually half that of the name brands, and we have not had any real trouble with longevity.
9 out of ten times the consumer wants the cheap way out on repairs..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #18
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
SKF are some of the most counterfeited bearings available worldwide. Beware! In China SKF are everywhere and are suspect. The bearings originating in India now are maybe the worst.

Counterfeiting is driven by profit greed on the part of both producers and buyers. It has little to do with the actual capabilities to produce quality if necessary.

Also check the link.

http://www.skf.com/binary/21-252392/Counterfeiting%2Bbrochure%2B-%2B6940_1%2BEN_tcm_12-252392.pdf
I had not heard of the counterfeiting thing. Thanks for the info and the link.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
...9 out of ten times the consumer wants the cheap way out on repairs..

...and everything else. It's actually us who forced companies to find cheaper sources of labor in order to satisfy our demand for lower and lower prices. Don't blame the Chinese and other low wage countries, or US manufacturing companies. They are just doing what we told them to do.

(the above applies to most everything EXCEPT Model A parts, of course )
Old 11-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
SKF are some of the most counterfeited bearings available worldwide. Beware! In China SKF are everywhere and are suspect. The bearings originating in India now are maybe the worst.

Counterfeiting is driven by profit greed on the part of both producers and buyers. It has little to do with the actual capabilities to produce quality if necessary.

Also check the link.

http://www.skf.com/binary/21-252392/Counterfeiting%2Bbrochure%2B-%2B6940_1%2BEN_tcm_12-252392.pdf
That WAS interesting thanks also for posting this. Really opens your eyes. It's criminal to what is going on here.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote