Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #21
mike42

Default Re: Fuel problem on my '40

Oh crap……..pulled the dip stick and crank case has gas in it for sure. Do I just drain it and replace filter ? Anything special I need to do ? New power valve hasn’t shown up yet. So much for overnight delivery ! Other than the power valve…..is there anything else I need to replace while I got the carb apart ? Glad you guys mentioned something about gas in the oil.

Thx…..Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #22
Zeke3

I would just drain the oil and refill with new.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Are you sure the fuel pump is not leaking as well? It is a more likely source of a lot of fuel in the crankcase.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #24
19Fordy

Mike, Mr. Seery makes a good point. A bad power valve would not dump gas into your crankcase. A fuel pump with a bad diafragam will allow gas to enter your crankcase.

Play it safe and rebuild the fuel pump along with your carburetor. Easy to do. Make an index mark on the top of the pump before you take it apart. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING INTO THE INTAKE WHEN YOU REMOVE AND REINSTALL THE FUEL PUMP & ROD.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #25
mike42

Seery and Ford …….I’m only running an electric Carter fuel pump. I have the other blocked off. The new power valve still hasn’t shown up !!!

Is there anything else that would cause fuel in the oil ? I bought oil and filter today and will change tomorrow.

Just for the hell of it I ordered another Holley Fuel Regulator. Could that internal pump be causing probs ? The rebuild kit has seal one made of neoprene. I also saw they have them in leather !

Thx…….Mike
Old 06-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #26
mike42

PS - Gas was coming out of the base of the carb.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

How is you fuel line run? Does it totally by-pass the original fuel pump? Hard to see how you would get that much fuel into the oil pan from the carburetor. About the only route is past the rings and through any open valves. If there was that much fuel in the intake and cylinders I would think it would be very difficult to start or "Hydraulic" a cylinder and bend a rod.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:04 AM   #28
mike42

Seery …….from rear tank…..

Through a fuel filter and then to Carter Electric pump……to Holley Fuel Regulator and then to carb. I installed this set up in 2013 and have not had one problem since then until a week or so ago. Once I take the carb apart to check things out and I changed the power valve with one I had from the original carb it started and ran great so I could move from driveway to my barn. Then…all of a sudden it starts to cough and sputter and eventually stalls out. Base of carb is wet again. When it runs…..it’s like it always was…..it purrs !!
Old 06-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #29
mike42

Maybe the fuel reg is bad and putting through more fuel than necessary or the fuel pump is causing the problem. I ordered a new reg and have a new Airtex Electric I bought as a spare. Or…..the carb is bad in some way. I don’t think it’s a bent rod or valve because when it runs…..it runs smooth as hell !
Old 06-11-2021, 02:25 AM   #30
mike42

Installed new power valve and reassembled the carb. It started right up and ran perfect up and down the driveway. Fuel pressure at 2.5psi and steady. Shut it down and went to wash up and take it out for a spin. 20 minutes later will not start and gas dripping heavily from Throttle area at carb base. They overnight rebuild kit never showed up so I’m bitting the bullet and buying a new carb. I can’t keep working on this everyday like I did the brakes. Too much other work on the property.

Any recommendations on where to have mine rebuilt or buy new ?

Thx………Mike
Old 06-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #31
rockfla

PM sent!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #32
mike42

Got it and thx Rock !
Old 06-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #33
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Mike, are you still needing the rebuild? Or is it taken care of?
Old 06-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #34
mike42

Seery .....just got back from the barn.

I'm still waiting 6 days now for my "overnight mail" rebuild kit !!!! I did get the correct power valve....installed that and the car started right up and purred ! Drove up and down the driveway great and then went back 20 minutes later and it would not start and when it finally kicked over it ran rough as hell again. Gas started to flow at the base of the carb again. So....I ordered a new carb and it will be here Monday or Tuesday. Also a new Fuel Reg will be here today. This is so weird as it was running so well and smooth ! All suggestions are welcome !!

Thx....Mike
Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #35
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Were it me, sounds like a fuel pump & carburetor trip to the CharlieNY spa for a week or so long rejuvenation trip and remove that electric fuel pump and pressure regulator and install Charlie's handy work and you are golden!!!! AS Henry built it!! JMO, maybe not even $ .02 worth.

Heartily concur. Another vote for a Charlie-NY restoration!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #36
rockfla

Sounds like a stuck float valve, trash in that seat or a bad float valve and seat!!! A total cleaning and rebuild for sure is in order IMO!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #37
mike42

Ant and Rock …….I thought having it rebuilt but decided to go new. I do plan on having the current one rebuilt as a backup. I’ve never had a fuel issue like this in the 9 years of ownership ! New fuel reg arrived today as well as the rebuild kit. Next Tuesday I’ll spend the day getting all the new stuff installed. The whole thing is strange as hell.

Thx for the comments.

Mike
Old 06-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #38
russcc

Glad to see the culprit was the power valve. If you ever need to replace the electric fuel pump, Facet, (Made by Purlolater in NY) as noted by 19Fordy, is solid state, and is self regulating. No regulator needed. There are several models, I use the one that has the lowest flow rate, at is 2-3 PSI. As 19Fordy reported, I get them from Aircraft & Spruce.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #39
mike42

Morning Guys......

So....I opened the rebuild carb kit that I got yesterday and proceeded to rebuild the old original 1940 carb I still. Replaced as much as I comfortable with. I did leave the leather plunger alone and i did not replace. I just put a small amount of oil on it ! It was dry as hell. Used all the new gaskets and a few other pieces as well as new .50 jets & needle valve that came with the kit. Used the new power valve I just bought also. Got everything back together and checked all fuel connections. All "A" Okay.....fired it up and the damn thing purred like a kitten. Let it run for about 5 minutes and turned it off. No leakage at the base and fired right up again after 20 minutes. There is only a slight hesitation when I hit the accelerator, but I'm thinking that may be the old plunger ! We'll see. An 81 year old carb too ! Geez....

The new carb will be here on Tuesday and will put that on and just save the old "40 unit since I rebuilt it and it works.

Going back out and try it again before I head out for a drive.

I just want to thank you guys again for all the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated !!

Thx.....Mike

PS - There just might be a Jack Daniels in my future after all this !! Just sayin'.....
Old 06-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #40
19Fordy

Mike, Glad your kitten is purring.

As a side note, I used the Grose Jet set up to avoid needle and seat problems and it always worked fine and dandy. Consider it as a future possibility.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1226&bih=836

https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/200...the-grose-jet/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-13-2021 at 11:04 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote