Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #21
JK1934

Default Re: carb question

I have used those new 97s, they are quite good quality, I bought one & pulled it apart & looks like a factory one inside, but actually a bit better quality casting etc, I have been running one on my 34 coupe for over a year & I drive it quite a bit, it runs nice with no problems, I was happy enough with the quality that I have been selling them here in Australia, sold over 20 of them so far & no problems so far. John
JK1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #22
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1934 View Post
I have used those new 97s, they are quite good quality, I bought one & pulled it apart & looks like a factory one inside, but actually a bit better quality casting etc, I have been running one on my 34 coupe for over a year & I drive it quite a bit, it runs nice with no problems, I was happy enough with the quality that I have been selling them here in Australia, sold over 20 of them so far & no problems so far. John
Very interesting. This could be a game changer.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:58 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Very interesting. This could be a game changer.
"JK1934" doesn't really qualify WHICH "New 97" we're talking about. It could be the one in question up at the top of this thread, but it sounds more like the REAL ones being built in England. We know that the English variants are 'top shelf', precision pieces. With a price variation being roughly two and a half times what the new 'FOREIGN-made' units are going for, there must be some reason that the English units demand that kind of pricing.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:03 PM   #24
tubman

You're right. I made an assumption that the poster was referring to the carburetors that were the subject of this thread.

Stupid me.

Perhaps the poster will come back and clarify his remarks.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #25
JK1934

sorry guys, my mistake, I didn`t think I needed to clarify which ones I was talking about as the question was about the new chinese ones, the ones I buy are unbranded in plain brown boxes from a wholesaler, I haven`t had any experience with the english ones, some friends have bought them & happy with them but they are a bit out of my price range to buy one to check it out, I still have a shelf full of originals at home for myself but I have had some guys asking me for carbys & these new ones were cheap enough for me to buy one to have a look at & I was surprised at how good the quality was, its not often I am surprised by one of these cheap import parts
JK1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:36 PM   #26
GB SISSON

I am currently running a knockoff Chinese carb on my '79 toyota landcruiser. Some of you will recall that I adapted '47 jailbar truck sheet metal onto it's chassis a few years back. I paid 67.00 for this carb on amazon two years ago. I can't remember now if the toyota factory replacement (which is available) was 1200.00 or 1800.00 . Mine was missing as I had stolen it for a project. This 2 bbl carb fit remarkably well, does everything it is supposed to and has proven reliable. During the first week the float needle hung up in the closed position a couple of times and took a tap with a wrench and was fine. Has been perfect since, musta been a small burr.

As you might imagine, most folks on the primary landcruiser forum have nothing good to say about the 'cheap crap from China'...I have found them to be extremely snobby (ok, cultish)about their use of only high quality authentic toyota parts. Many of us will recall saying the same thing about the poor quality Japanese products in the past.
On the fords I have only used the 94s and I have a couple boxes of them and 3 daytona kits, but If I needed a carb I would not hesitate to buy a Chinacarb. I also run one on my Honda powered sawmill, my tecumseh powered log splitter and a Honda dirtbike. Those are always between 13.00 and 18.00 and same good results. Like Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a Changin'.......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:04 AM   #27
tubman

This is very good to hear (depending on who you are).

Now, I have to wonder how the Chinese can start from the ground up and be able to produce a good carburetor for a couple of hundred bucks while Offenhauser can't make more of the cylinder heads they have been producing for years for over a thousand.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:03 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This is very good to hear (depending on who you are).

Now, I have to wonder how the Chinese can start from the ground up and be able to produce a good carburetor for a couple of hundred bucks while Offenhauser can't make more of the cylinder heads they have been producing for years for over a thousand.
Interesting comment. I appreciate Offy’s commitment to doing things the “old” way, but it seems all of the manual hand machining is costing them a lot more in labor and they are passing this on to the consumer. I don’t think they will be long in this market if they don’t change their operational practices.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:09 AM   #29
GB SISSON

Here's that toyota carb on amazon now for 76.00 ...How on God's green earth can they show a profit? No idea, but smokestacks with no scrubbers, machinery with no guards, a billion desperate factory workers with no age limit, no vacation or sick pay, and no labor unions. No EPA or OSHA also comes to mind. This carb looks considerably more expensive to produce than a 97 and somehow they ship it from China to my mountainside home on an island for free. Hmmmm, gotta work on that link.

https://www.amazon.com/KIPA-Carburet...0-4513d670b6bc
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-13-2022, 11:44 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Dang, I've been on a roll with this one. I hope I haven't muddied up the OP's thread with my rant about carbs that aren't even used on a Ford product. I will try to stay more on topic in the future. Thanks, GB