Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Bolts

Default 8BA valve spring compressor

OK boys, I admit it. I'm stupid.

I need to remove the keepers on my 8BA valve assemblies which are out of the engine. I also need to put them back together eventually so I'm looking for a tool to make life easier.
I used a hammer and socket to remove the keepers from some OHV valves once, but I'd like to have a tool for the flathead valves.

I see these KD pliers type tools with jaws that open bigger when you squeeze the handles together. I also see some big C-clamp type with a squeeze lever. Then there are the knob type deals.

I think I get how the big C-clamp type with the squeeze handle works, but I'm confused about the pliers type especially and the screw knob deals.

Would some one school me on how to use these tools?
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 8BA valve spring compressor

Maybe I'm missing something here but once the valve/guide/spring assy's are removed you should not need any special tool to remove the keepers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1.jpg (237.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 02-14-2017 at 05:16 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
flatheadmurre

Most of the plier types are for use in the block.
Put it in and push the spring up to compress it.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post

I need to remove the keepers on my 8BA valve assemblies which are out of the engine. I also need to put them back together eventually so I'm looking for a tool to make life easier.
I used a hammer and socket to remove the keepers from some OHV valves once, but I'd like to have a tool for the flathead valves.

I see these KD pliers type tools with jaws that open bigger when you squeeze the handles together. I also see some big C-clamp type with a squeeze lever. Then there are the knob type deals.

I think I get how the big C-clamp type with the squeeze handle works, but I'm confused about the pliers type especially and the screw knob deals.

Thanks.
There are two type of the tools for the keepers. One is readily available and one is out there, but you have to hunt for it.

The KD-type that Flat Head Jack sells works well. I also have an All-Power that has a Chinese finger-type of clamp on it. Meaning, the harder you pull, the tighter the clamp. This only comes out when all else fails.

I'll take a picture of the valve assembler I have. Not sure where I got it, but it sure works nice.

Once together, any pickle fork type of bar will pull down the spring in order to get new keepers in place.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
cas3

van pelts to the rescue again http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...al_tools-1.htm
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

With assemblies out of block and stock springs...you can compress'em with your fingers and take 'em apart or assemble. Springs are light and they are not full compressed until you put the assemblies back in block and lock them down with the clips.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
RalphM

I have used the C type clamp on them and it works well.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
GOSFAST

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi Alex, I'll put 2 photo's below showing a "portable" spring compressor, sounds like the type you're asking about??

Just a tip, but we use a "conventional" C-clamp style spring compressor to install the valves, springs, retainers, and locks one at a time in the lifter area (photo below). Just like doing a cylinder on the bench. We find it really easy. Our compressor is an air-operated one which makes it even easier still. A hand-operated one should do the same job?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a few shots of the tools. I believe we picked up the small "portable" compressor from a local lawn-mower repair shop, have it over for 30 or 40 years now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Valve Spring Compressor A.JPG (61.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Valve Spring Compressor B.JPG (68.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Spring Compressor.JPG (90.7 KB, 139 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Bolts

Thanks everyone.
Gary, I had the pleasure of installing one of the valve assemblies and inserting the horseshoe retainer clip using the long pry bar, so I assume the reason you use the big C-clamp and install the keepers in the block is because the horseshoe clips are such a pain otherwise?
Thanks for the pictures.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
GOSFAST

Quote:
Thanks everyone.
Gary, I had the pleasure of installing one of the valve assemblies and inserting the horseshoe retainer clip using the long pry bar, so I assume the reason you use the big C-clamp and install the keepers in the block is because the horseshoe clips are such a pain otherwise?
Thanks for the pictures.
Alex, not too many of our guides are able to be installed with that bar you mention as of a few years ago now, and actually I never owned or had one of those bars here?

The way we set up the bronze guides those lips are removed (unless a customer requests them to remain intact when we're doing their guide work) and a set of "Viton" stems seals sits in their place. (Photo's below)

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The way we have it set up here, with that air-operated compressor, we can have all the valves completely installed in a about a 1/2 hour or less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides-Seals.JPG (74.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides-Seals-Valves.JPG (76.0 KB, 81 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
tubman

To get back to the poster's original question, here are a couple of pictures I took of a tool I made to do the exact procedure. It works great. I made it from a piece of pipe and some angle iron.

Mr. Lancaster; I usually agree with your postings, but if you can do this with your bare hands, you are a better (or at least younger) man than I.

BTW, I made this by copying a K.R. Wilson tool that was pictured in George McNichol's flathead book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valve tool 01.jpg (62.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Valve Tool 5.jpg (72.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by tubman; 02-15-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Misplaced "r"'s
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Bolts

Tubman, thank you for showing that. I was trying to figure out how to make a tool. I have everything here to make something just like that. Doing so will allow me to get the valves apart and keep going ahead in the next day or two.

I think having a big C-clamp type tool to assemble everything in the block will make life easier if I can find one that will work. I see several different ones on Ebay at reasonable prices.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
cmbrucew

Bolts
You can buy the big c clamp spring compressor at auto swap meets for 4 or 5 bucks.
Or rent one from O Reilly's.
Bruce
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
With assemblies out of block and stock springs...you can compress'em with your fingers and take 'em apart or assemble. Springs are light and they are not full compressed until you put the assemblies back in block and lock them down with the clips.
For those of us who have forgotten.
I doubt that I could compress the original setup by hand pressure. The original valves did not allow the guide to move up against the head of the valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kp1.jpg (20.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg kp2.jpg (20.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 02-15-2017 at 06:08 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
Bolts

It takes some squeezing to get the spring compressed. I used Mr. Tubman's idea to make my own version of his tool this morning. I needed to get the valves apart so I could get them over to the machine shop today. First attempt worked pretty good, only 15 to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7082.jpg (58.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7083.jpg (55.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7084.jpg (58.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
It takes some squeezing to get the spring compressed. I used Mr. Tubman's idea to make my own version of his tool this morning. I needed to get the valves apart so I could get them over to the machine shop today. First attempt worked pretty good, only 15 to go.
Looks great. Maybe throw that bad boy in a vise and let that do the work?

Just a suggestion.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
40fordpu

Home made tools are the best. The old tools work wonders. They knew what they were doing back then and made to quality.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote