Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
Fairview

Default Bring a Trailer Auction results 1928 Sport Coupe

Looks like a good result for a decent Model A:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1928-ford-model-a-7/
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Bring a Trailer Auction results 1928 Sport Coupe

Good result for buyer or seller?
Add buyers premium and looks really good for seller and auction house
Way below restoration cost but seems expensive for a 28 coupe
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Obviously somebody wanted it and stepped up.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

Yep an auction is the absolute determination of value
Willing buyer/ willing seller
Old 12-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
RUNNERBUN

That car is worth exactly $26750. That is what someone was prepared to pay for it. And don't forget that there was a second bidder that pushed the price up to where it finished at.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
Oldbluoval

+10% !
Old 12-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
+10% !
No, on Bring-a-Trailer, the buyer pays +5%.

Not too bad.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
No, on Bring-a-Trailer, the buyer pays +5%.

Not too bad.
At a local auction last August ,well actually it was Lloyd Young's estate auction,some of you may know his name as an installer for years of overdrives. At the auction I think at least three Model A's sold one a '29 roadster that was I think $26,000,but the reason I even went to the auction was the red '31 pickup. Lloyd did not restore the pickup but another local guy did and I was very interested in it.I didn't think it would go as high as it did,think it was close to $20,000 but the auctioneer added a 10% so I had to keep reminding myself of that and I dropped out of the bidding. I never understand a premium added especially when the auction is an onsite one not on auctioneers premises.I think sales tax was added also at 6 1/2% but may be wrong on that. A local old car club guy was standing next to me and told me he had looked at the pickup 10 years ago,same condition mayby less the overdrive but he regretfully thought the asking price of $8,500.00 was a bit too high. He was in shock.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
ronn

well kept coupe for such an old restoration.

Pricey, maybe, but try and restore one for that today. wont happen.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Fairview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
well kept coupe for such an old restoration.

That is for sure. It is not just limited to Model As. I can’t think of many cars that financially justify a complete and competent restoration, at least in the short term. If you can restore a desirable car, then wait for the market to catch up while you enjoy owning it, then it starts to make sense.

I’ve seen several nicely restored or preserved Model As struggle to be sold in the last few years. That is why it is heartening to see the Model A sold on Bring A Trailer fetch a good price and get favorable reviews on a platform that seems better suited to more recent and exotic cars.

There are some exceptions to the restoration costs are more than the market value, but don’t you agree there are very few?
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
old Tom

I have a 28 sport coupe and my spare is in the rear. Did they make different types for 28?
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Tom View Post
I have a 28 sport coupe and my spare is in the rear. Did they make different types for 28?
Yes, they were sold both ways. Rear mounted more common.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
. I didn't think it would go as high as it did,think it was close to $20,000 but the auctioneer added a 10% so I had to keep reminding myself of that and I dropped out of the bidding. I never understand a premium added especially when the auction is an onsite one not on auctioneers premises.I think sales tax was added also at 6 1/2% but may be wrong on that.

I keep saying this over & over but labor have become too expensive in this country. The amount of labor it takes to mobilize parts, cars, & items for an auction has become too expensive. Someone must pay to have it done. Most auction companies know their #1 job is to extract as much money as possible for their client (the Seller). If two auction companies appraise the contents of the estate and both a privately thinking they need 35% of the proceeds to have a successful sale, when they approach the Seller and one company says they will do it for 35% of the hammer price, --and the other says they will do it for 25% of the hammer price and will collect 10% from the Buyer, ...who do you think the Seller is going to sign with??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

Exactly, -and unfortunately it is Model-A hobbyists themselves who are the worst at "armchair appraising" what someone else's Model-A is worth on the market. Generally speaking they want to keep the market prices low, ….except when they want to sell their own Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I keep saying this over & over but labor have become too expensive in this country. The amount of labor it takes to mobilize parts, cars, & items for an auction has become too expensive. Someone must pay to have it done. Most auction companies know their #1 job is to extract as much money as possible for their client (the Seller). If two auction companies appraise the contents of the estate and both a privately thinking they need 35% of the proceeds to have a successful sale, when they approach the Seller and one company says they will do it for 35% of the hammer price, --and the other says they will do it for 25% of the hammer price and will collect 10% from the Buyer, ...who do you think the Seller is going to sign with??

Exactly, -and unfortunately it is Model-A hobbyists themselves who are the worst at "armchair appraising" what someone else's Model-A is worth on the market. Generally speaking they want to keep the market prices low, ….except when they want to sell their own Model-A.

Do Auto Auctioning/Listings with a buyer's premium affect final proceeds to the Seller much? In other words, do Buyers have a tendency to spend more, or do they figure total cost and stick to the max they want to spend?

My father used to pretty much shun buying things at Farm Auctions that had Buyer's premiums unless there was something he really wanted/needed. We knew of some farmers that would not even go to any auctions with Buyer's premiums.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
barry022

Just because an auction site states a car sold for a certain price, that doesn't mean the car sold for that price or in realty even sold at all.

Happens all the time.
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
ronn

Happens all the time.

very good point Barry. Auction cos like to look successful for future clients.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
old Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Yes, they were sold both ways. Rear mounted more common.
Thank You
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Do Auto Auctioning/Listings with a buyer's premium affect final proceeds to the Seller much? In other words, do Buyers have a tendency to spend more, or do they figure total cost and stick to the max they want to spend?

My father used to pretty much shun buying things at Farm Auctions that had Buyer's premiums unless there was something he really wanted/needed. We knew of some farmers that would not even go to any auctions with Buyer's premiums.

While I have no scientific basis for my answer, my instinct is that a premium does not. Most people do not know the real value of something, -and while they might choose an arbitrary number ahead of time at a sale or even an eBay listing, so often the auction bids blow right past what someone valued it at. That, and the mindset that you were the top bidder but you are outbid however one more $10 bid might get it bought also plays in your mind.

For me, I would rather pay the premium as to get caught in the 'Bidder's Choice' triangle. If you are unfamiliar with this technique, the auctioneer groups items and lets the high bidder choose. A great example might be a group of 10 fenders in the lot which might consist of a mint R/F 1930 fender, a pair of nice factory welled 1931 fenders, a pair of 1932 fenders, and maybe a NOS 1937 fender and several other unidentifiable fenders. Everyone is gathered around and the bidding is moving fast. You have your eye on that 1930 fender and have hoped to buy it for less than $500 (-because you need it). You are bidding against 6 or 7 others but you have no idea whether they are bidding to pick that same R/F fender you are wanting, -or whether they are after the 37 fender or those '31 fenders. Generally speaking, no one is willing to take a chance on losing out on the fender they want, so in this type auction, the first 2 or 3 items go for way more money than they are worth. Knowledgeable Auctioneers are aware of this and will tell you that the entire lot will bring more money this way than individually selling the items. Ironically, to save time the auctioneer will allow the highest bidder to take as many items from the lot for the same money. So if the hammer fell at $750 for an item, the high bidder has the choice to take two items from that lot for $1500. Then they will ask the back-up bidder if he wants an item at his bid. If he bid $740 and wants the '37 fender, then he gets that and they start the lot auction over again. I have even seen where they will add the next lot of items beside the one you were just bidding on to keep the price up. Maybe you were holding out for those '32 fenders and now we have new items added to the lot which likely is drawing new bidders that you do not know what they are bidding on. Oh, and then factor in an auction that is simultaneously running an internet auction too on these items you are bidding on, and it really makes getting a bargain tough.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry022 View Post
Just because an auction site states a car sold for a certain price, that doesn't mean the car sold for that price or in realty even sold at all.

Happens all the time.
I dont understand, I am not saying it is not true but I dont understand. Why the auction sites would say that.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Brent - thanks for your insights, seems auctioneers know all the tricks, as a seller that is what you want. As a buyer trying to get deal sounds like it is frustrating., have to be careful or you quickly can overpay.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote