Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Mobil 636 Has Changed

I just did a Google search on Mobil 636 and see it's changed to Mobil 600 XP 680. The next time I drive to Anoka I'll check on price and availability.

Here is the description I found on Google:

"Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 is an extra high performance gear oils having outstanding extreme pressure characteristics and load-carrying properties, intended for use in all types of enclosed gear drives with circulation or splash lubrication systems. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 is designed to stay ahead of the changing needs of gearbox technology. Gearbox technology design trends are towards smaller units with similar power throughput. This increase in power density places increased demands on gear oils. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 oils are formulated to meet the stress by providing extra protection for gears, bearings and seals.

Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 is formulated to protect gear teeth from wear at its earliest stages. Microscopic wear, called micropitting, can lead to significant gear tooth damage. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 exceeds the industry requirement for bearing wear protection. In fact, Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 provides up to 15 times the wear protection as measured by the industry standard FAG FE 8 test. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636's balanced formulation is able to provide maximum wear and corrosion protection while maintaining compatibility with common gearbox seal materials. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 helps to maintain gearbox seal integrity thereby preventing oil leaks and keeping contamination out. By protecting the gears, bearings and seals, Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 can improve equipment reliability and increase productivity.

Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 oils are recommended for industrial spur, helical and bevel enclosed gears with circulation or splash lubrication, operating at bulk oil temperatures up to 100�C. They are particularly suitable for gear sets working under heavy or shock loads. Mobilgear 600 XP 680, Formerly Mobilgear 636 oils also find broad application in marine gearing applications. They may also be used in non-gear applications include highly loaded and slow speed plain and rolling contact bearings."
PRODUCT DATA SHEET MSDS
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: Mobil 636 Has Changed

Are you sure that Mobilgear 600 XP 680, is actually Formerly Mobilgear 636 ?
Sound like marketing hype to me. If you liked the old 636, you should be fine with the new name.
For some reason we see this type of thing a lot with industrial lubricants where I work. Some of our less-maintained documentation specs out lubrication that is 3 or 4 generations old...on fairly new equipment.
Thanks for the info!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I have to agree about marketing hype. I think the Mobil 636 I bought about 10 years ago was also refered to as a "steam cylinder oil", which would imply high temperate and pressure, if it's used in steam engines. I see the Mobil 600 XP 680 is only rated 100*C., which is the boiling point of water. This hardly sounds like a steam cylinder oil, but should be fine for the Model A.

I just called two bulk oil dealers and got a price of $131 plus tax for a 5 gallon pail, and a price of $92.30 plus tax from the other dealer. I ordered a 5 gallon pail from the second dealer, and he said the price is going up in a couple weeks.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Mobil 636 (600 XP 680) is different from 600W steam cylinder oil.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...nder_Oils.aspx
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Patrick L.

That ad tells you about everything but it weight doesn't it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
marc hildebrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I have to agree about marketing hype. I think the Mobil 636 I bought about 10 years ago was also refered to as a "steam cylinder oil", which would imply high temperate and pressure, if it's used in steam engines. I see the Mobil 600 XP 680 is only rated 100*C., which is the boiling point of water. This hardly sounds like a steam cylinder oil, but should be fine for the Model A.

I just called two bulk oil dealers and got a price of $131 plus tax for a 5 gallon pail, and a price of $92.30 plus tax from the other dealer. I ordered a 5 gallon pail from the second dealer, and he said the price is going up in a couple weeks.
Sounds like you will be set for many years !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote