Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
shaefer

Default Starter motor fuse?

The link is to an image of a '30 with some sort of fuse on the starter motor. http://www.wallpaperup.com/141958/19..._engine_r.html

My question is what does this fuse do?

My hope is that it cuts out the starter in the event that the starter gets stuck ON...as happened to me recently for the first time in over 15 years.

Here was my issue...and it's good because I learned something new! I had a battery issue that forced me to change it out and tinker around a bit with the connections to clean everything up. When I hooked it all back up I noticed that the starter "button" (the foot button...sorry for not knowing the real name) seemed stuck....I couldn't move it.

I fiddled around a bit and then it came to life...AND WOULDN'T STOP! The starter was just spinning and spinning! Thank goodness I had the fuel off and was able to get the battery unhooked.

I took apart the mechanism on top of the starter (that the "button" goes into) and it was full of junk.

It's now totally cleaned up and I know all about how that works. But I am wondering if there is some kind of fuse I could install so that in the event this happens again I can just pull a fuse and not burn up my starter.

Any suggestions?

I am about to completely replace the wiring harness (that will be another thread) so this would be a good time to tackle such a thing if it exists.

Thanks!
I was born in 1982 and in 1989 my father found the perfect '31 Cabriolet. In 1997 he finally bought it and it became our favorite thing to do together. While my friends were buying Playstations and XBoxs, I was saving up for a muffler. 9 years later, while their game systems were gathering dust, I was picking my wife up for our first date in that car. I drive it to this day and I hope to keep it up so my son can enjoy it just the same. That's the joy of a Model A!
shaefer is offline   Reply With Quote