Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
fourfords

Default Tireshop for '37 Ford wheels

I have discovered that there may not be any tire shops that have the equipment to remove tires from '37 wheels to put on a new tire. I understand this requires a piece of old school equipment called a "Table Top" adapter.

Question: Is there anyone who has this equipment in the Los Angeles area?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Tireshop for '37 Ford wheels

my sons firestone/bridgestone store has the pinch tire demounter and the rim clamp so they can do these rims
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
I have discovered that there may not be any tire shops that have the equipment to remove tires from '37 wheels to put on a new tire. I understand this requires a piece of old school equipment called a "Table Top" adapter.

Todays tire machines have four air operated self adjusting griping points that grip on the back inside radius of the rim. They are designed to hold all types of rims steel and aluminum and being adjustable can easily hold the diameters of early Ford wheels. So any good tire shop should be able to remove the tires from your wheels and install the new ones. The tricky part will be if the tire machine operator knows how to protect the tire tube.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
fourfords

Of the twelve tire shops I talked to, most of them will not reuse the inner tube. because they cannot protect it. Just more expense on something simple. These people think they are on the cutting edge of designing space travel technology instead of changing a tire. Hmmm.

Problem is, I can't tell if they're Good. I can't make them do something they don't want to do.. If anyone knows someone who wants to change a tire and get paid for it, please let me know. I would be grateful.

Last edited by fourfords; 12-11-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
J Franklin

In Oregon they will change my tires, even a few model T clinchers. Take a little vacation.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Try contacting the local chapter of the EFV8 Club and see who they use, https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Regional_Club_Directory.cfm

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 12-12-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #7
cas3

get some tire irons and do it yourself. the old drop center rims have quite a bit of clearance, its not as big of a project as you may think
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:08 AM   #8
fourfords

I used to change my Model A wheels all the time. I had plenty of mobility and plenty of room to work on anything then. As far as contacting the local V8 guys, they don't have a go-to guy. There seems to be a disconnect on accurate information on what I thought was a simple, straight forward task. I'll contact the national EV8 club guy for '37's and maybe things will start to fall into place. After which I'll take a recommended vacation.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

Do as "cas3" suggests. If tires are new and pliable, put a trash bag on the rim, lube the tire and they should "slide" right on. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
Mart

I can't see a tire shop having a problem removing or fitting tires on a wide 5 rim, other than maybe familiarity with older tube type tires. But can see them having a problem balancing the assembly afterwards. I had a plate made to assist in balancing. People buy an adaptor from speedway to allow wide 5 rims to bolt to a "normal" bolt pattern hub. They use these so the wheel and tire can fit on a balancing machine.
You might do better finding an older place or one that does truck and tractor work.

Finding a place where you can ask the operator to exercise care and skill seems to be a problem.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
51504bat

Quote:

I recently had a spare tire mounted on a wide five wheel for my '39 p/u at a local independent shop no problem. The the new machines grip the inside of the back rim unlike the old Coates 10/10 I used to use when I worked at a service station back in the '70's. There has got to be a local shop that can do it near Lake Elsinore. If not PM me and I'll give you the names of at least one shop in Redlands that will do it. Balancing a wide five is a completely different can of worms.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
Yoyodyne

For 25 years or more new tire machines have been built to hold the rim by the OD of the rear side, to accommodate newer styled wheels without damage. If the shops you contacted don't have them, they are using nearly obsolete equipment. I'd suggest trying a small independent motorcycle shop, most of them have manual machines for motorcycle wheels that are of a size that will handle V8 size rims nicely, and they will know exactly how to deal with tubes.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:

There are adaptors made for mounting a wide five bolt pattern wheel to a 5 on 5-1/2 bolt pattern drum. I've seen them advertised in Speedway's catalog. An adaptor like this could be used when changing tires or balancing a wide five wheel and tire assembly.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
There are adaptors made for mounting a wide five bolt pattern wheel to a 5 on 5-1/2 bolt pattern drum. I've seen them advertised in Speedway's catalog. An adaptor like this could be used when changing tires or balancing a wide five wheel and tire assembly.

The Speedway adapters have 5/8" inch studs but the will still work to allow a wide 5 to be balanced on a standard tire balance machine. Dick Sprado used to make/sell an adapter with the correct studs for use when balancing a wide 5 but unfortunately he is no longer with us. There was a guy over on the HAMB that was making selling adapters but last I knew he had sold all of the production run and hadn't made any more. Back in the day Hunter made made a balancer that used a clip on device that in conjunction with a power spinner allowed a tire/wheel assembly to be balanced on the car. I doubt any tire shops today still have one. Also back in the day there was a strobe light balancer that was used mainly for truck tires. The one the service station I used to work at in the '70's had was a PITA to use. Doubt if even big truck shops still use them. One other balance option is balance beads but a PITA with tubes.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #15
Newc

The 'circle track' adapters with the 5/8" studs do usually work for balancing. They are a tight fit in the Ford lug holes, just go easy. Newc.
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
fourfords

After much searching, I found a tire shop. They did a super job! I did learn a few lessons: 1) Not everyone wants to work. (Maybe its just here in California?)
2) If they would rather NOT do a job, they will quote an unreasonably high price.
3) My hobby interests may be outdated to some.
4) I should probably "Lighten up"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9525.jpg (41.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
J Franklin

Don't lighten up. If you find a shop that doesn't want the job or marks it up just because, it is time to call them out on it. Then do business at shops that will cater to the job at hand.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #18
OldFordPrick

Find an old guy that is around 84 years old and ask him, He will know of a shop that is still in business that installed those tires when the cars were new. That's what I did and now i got all 5 of my tires mounted on my 1936 for $125 plus tax. Don't take it to Mavis or discount tire, they won't have a clue.
OldFordPrick is offline   Reply With Quote