Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
phartman

Default Stumped on a color code...need help

I am looking for a color code for a 1948 Woodie Wagon dashboard. The color is this one shown here in this photograph of the dash (sorry for the poor quality):

The Auto Paint Library lists the yellow as Canary Yellow, but the paint looks browner than that. Any ideas what the color name/color code might be?

There is currently a wagon on Ebay with the same dashboard color. You'll need to scroll through, but there is a shot of the dash and interior. Same caramel yellow color. Here is a link to that listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-...#ht_500wt_1182

Any guidance you might give me on this dashboard color is much appreciated.

Pete
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Gary in La.

Default Re: Stumped on a color code...need help

The station wagon and the open cars for 1946-48 had a woodgrained dash. (maplewood) This is an applied finish not a single coat color.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
waterboychuck

The dashboard on a woodie wagon is painted to look like wood grain. When I had my woodie I took it to a guy who did a great job at recreating that wood grain look. It was so long ago I cannot remember the persons name who did it, but he was in So Cal. I hope this helps you some.

Chuck
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
phartman

Not all of the dashes appear to be grained. Many are, but not all of them. This one in the junkyard pic does not appear to be.

But even if they are grained in maplewood, what is the paint color/code for that base color? There is a background color that is applied before the graining is appied on. That's where I'm stumped. Can't find any listing for where to begin on the dash.

Also, in the junkyard pic, you'll notice the same color extends to the windshield garnish moldings and I presume the inner door. I'm no expert, but I doubt that the insides of the doors were grained. What would be the matching color for the doors to the base color of the dash? Additionally I've seen auxillary heaters painted this same base color that are not grained (again, look closely at the junkyard pic). What is the color/code?

Nobody seems to know, but it looks to be a different shade than the 1948 Canary Yellow. Is it? That's my question.

Last edited by phartman; 12-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Fibber Mcgee

On my 41 the dash and all interior metal was woodgrained. I dont know if the later cars are like that though. Sorry I dont know the color code, I wouldn't mind knowing mine as I need to refinish it eventually.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
phartman

A fellow from Norway on Jalopy Journal tells me his books say the color is, in fact, "Maplewood Grain", but he doesn't have a paint code for the base.

Anybody?

And before I forget to say it, I appreciate your help. I've made more progress here in 10 minutes than days and days of asking around in car circles. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Gary in La.

Just for info the windshield and door garnish is also woodgrained.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Richard Wilson

Check out Grain It Technologies Inc in Winter Haven, FL. They sell wood grain roller/plate kits and base color paints and inks for most autos. I bet that they can fix you up with colors and paint products to. woodgraining.com
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Check out Grain It Technologies Inc in Winter Haven, FL. They sell wood grain roller/plate kits and base color paints and inks for most autos. I bet that they can fix you up with colors and paint products to. woodgraining.com
Wow, GREAT suggestion. Here is the chart I was looking for off their website:

Thank you, sir!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
On my 41 the dash and all interior metal was woodgrained. I dont know if the later cars are like that though. Sorry I dont know the color code, I wouldn't mind knowing mine as I need to refinish it eventually.
Fibber.41's had straight grained walnut wood graining. I had 2 41's and all 41's ive seen were done so. Including all window frames. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Fibber.41's had straight grained walnut wood graining. I had 2 41's and all 41's ive seen were done so. Including all window frames. ken ct.
Thanks Ken
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
felix37

Call Evin at Grain -it technologies as he can tell you the exact base color and the cross reference for PPG or 3M so you can have it mixed locally. I have used his products for several years. He offers all the correct plates and ink colors to do the most realistic wood graining possible!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
Call Evin at Grain -it technologies as he can tell you the exact base color and the cross reference for PPG or 3M so you can have it mixed locally. I have used his products for several years. He offers all the correct plates and ink colors to do the most realistic wood graining possible!
Thanks for the contact name. Yes, their paint colors are exacty what I am looking for.

Pete