Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #21
DavidG

Default Re: Mack hills bed for a 34

My mistake, sorry.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-30-2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: correction, apology
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Per their web pages:
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #23
29A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
I am working on my ‘36 pickup bed right now. The only part that is new on my box is the steel bed floor that is Mack Hils brand. This thing is a $350 piece of scrap. The holes do not line up with the threaded holes in the subframe. I’m sure these work fine for their complete beds, but this might take more trouble than it’s worth when replacing just the original floor tin. If I don’t just make a new floor myself, I would have to do what 40Larry did to relocated the holes.
You guys are worrying me. But there are no other choices. Couldn't be as bad as some of the crappy patch panels you get now. I'll find out in 20 weeks.
29A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #24
OldGold360

I got the center holes to work, but the outside bed tin mounting holes will have to be redone, as well as 4 of the bed to frame mounting holes. Two of the bed to frame mounting holes were off by a little more than 3/8”. There is no way this would have mounted to the frame.

There really are no other good options, but between my Mack Hils bed wood and bed tin, I’m not impressed. Next time I will make what I need. You might have better luck than those of us who have had issues. Some folks are happy with them, but they seem to be the guys who buy complete beds... but those aren’t Ford beds.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #25
Nicks33

Just found this thread. Bought a 34 Ford stock length bed unassembled from Mach hills last year. Bolted the cross frame pieces to the frame, bolted the side rails to the cross frames, squared it up, set on the sides and head board, squared it up, welded, very happy, and it fits.
Nicks33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #26
art ebeling

I just ordered my 36 bed with the steel floor from them. They do not cut the hole for the fuel filler neck. Can someone help me with that hole size and location? I am using a Bob Drake tank and Bob Drake filler original style neck. Thanks, Art
art ebeling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #27
OldGold360

Here ya go Art…

The hole on my ‘36 bed measures 2.8125” in diameter. If you have an original sub frame, the notch for the fuel filler in the sub frame will tell you exactly where it’s located. Otherwise, here is a picture of its location. The bottom edge of the hole is not quite flush with the bottom edge… it’s about .1875” above the lower edge. Let me know if this doesn’t make sense or if you need anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D08E3B2-4BBD-4FCF-AB48-78BD3AEDA214.jpeg (133.4 KB, 30 views)
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #28
art ebeling

Thank you Josh. I am looking forward to getting my fender patches and cab corner. Art
art ebeling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:56 AM   #29
jimTN

I rebuilt my 34 bed to stock specs using some side pockets, a rear crossmember and I believe the front upright bed head. All that stuff from Mack's and it fit well. It was fun riveting it but with help we got it done. I sawmilled the oak sub floor and used the old wood as a pattern to cut it and everything worked fine. And yes, I did put the correct metal floor in, not metal and wood strips like so many so called original trucks have.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote