Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Fourdy

Default Cam bearings

Unable so far to locate cam bearings for .010 undersize journals.

Any ideas? and thnx.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
papanomad

Default Re: Cam bearings

check with vanpelt
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Frank Miller

Not to say they do not exist but I never heard of undersized journals. Usually the cam is just replaced. I know Schwalms makes or used to make brass inserts to resize the Model A block where the cast iron wore out. There are no cam bearings in a Model A. He would undercut the cam journals to get them to uniform size.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Bob C

Here they are. http://reds-vintage-parts.com/our-st...32-1953-at-010

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdy View Post

Any ideas? and thnx.

Fourdy
Dura-bond makes them F-1x10
I believe standard is 1.800 and undersize is 1.790 ID
Vanpelt should have them
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

They are definitely available - I have two sets on my shelf (just in case I need them).

It was a pretty common thing for some of the performance cam grinders to refinish the journals to be .010 under. Where I've seen it the most is when they took a steel 32 Billet cam core (which ran in the block - with no bearings) and reground it for a performance profile (think Potvin 425) - the journals would be ground .010 as part of the regrind process. I recently saw an original Winfield SU-1A with .010 journals.

I always MIC every cam I put into an engine - to ensure that I don't make the mistake of putting a .010 cam into STD bearings . . . instant major loss of oil pressure and a cam "flopping around" in the bearings.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdy View Post

Any ideas? and thnx.

Fourdy
Cam brgs for .010" under cam journals are still available, not a problem!

They are also still available in .020" and .030" under!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Just a tip but if you go down this path you MIGHT able to "build-in" the needed clearance, this can't always be done? This is a nicer way to do the build, "shoot" for .002"/.0025".
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

Gary, Have you found any New cam bearings under size. I was told my another builder he had .006 " cam clearance. Unfortunately it's not something i always chedk, I do now and find most oK. but some with as much as.003" Now, I find that most original cam bearings to be OK, surprising they don''t wear as much as we think. Don't build any more, but the track roadster will need balanced. Need a set of used 3 5/16X 3 3/4 forges pistons.
Take care Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Gary, Have you found any New cam bearings under size. I was told my another builder he had .006 " cam clearance. Unfortunately it's not something i always chedk, I do now and find most oK. but some with as much as.003" Now, I find that most original cam bearings to be OK, surprising they don''t wear as much as we think. Don't build any more, but the track roadster will need balanced. Need a set of used 3 5/16X 3 3/4 forges pistons.
Take care Ron

Ron give me a call I have a set of used Forged 3 5/16 by 3 3/4 stroke pistons.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
russcc

I believe you will find that Fred Wilner at South Side Obsolete has those bearings. Barnfind08 here on the barn.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #11
Fourdy

Thanks and I appreciate all your info.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Take care Ron
Hi Ron, how you guys doing up there??

For years now we record EVERY hole size in EVERY block before we start any machining, this includes cyl bores, lifter bores, main bores, guide bores (in the Flatheads case), etc. These original sizes are all kept here on record for every build when it come in the door. This helps us determine any "pitfalls" we may encounter BEFORE we get into the actual build.

Not sure what you mean (highlighted in red above), the .010" unders I spoke about above are for the journals that are either already .010" under OR "standard" journals that need to go undersize.

If the cam journals are already .010" under and you use the appropriate brgs you will be locked into the oil clearance that you end up with, still cannot be fixed.

If you plan on grinding the "standard" cam journals to .010" under you would FIRST order the .010" brgs, install them in the bores, measure the EXACT size using some type bore gauge THEN machine the journals to get the desired oil clearance. We like between .002" and .0025" generally speaking.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'm certain you know what I'm saying here and there really aren't many options as to correcting oil clearances in the cam brg area. Rods and mains have some easier fixes?
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote