Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
darrell

Default Re: Leaking differential

it is not a dana
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #22
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post

it is not a dana
How to you arrive at this conclusion. If not a DANA, what? 12 Bolt CHEV - 8.8"FORD (also a DANA). Can you give the board a clue?

DANA 41 and 44 were used in this period not to mention a DANA 45 used in MERC wagon.

It is difficult to narrow the exact usage as most info refers to later truck axles.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Leaking differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Until now I thought the Dana only came in wagons and Tbird in 56 or trucks.
That rattled a few cobwebs. You are correct. FORD used a removable carrier rear assy prior to the 1957 9".

Now the question is, was the rear drained with removal of a rear cover or a drain hole? The pinion seal should have been able to have been replaced without carrier removal.

Sorry about that

There was a lengthly discussion on THE OTHER FORUM about this not long ago and once again, CRS overtook me ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REAR ASSY - 1955 FORD.jpg (68.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg REAR ASSY - HSG ASSY (4010) - 1955-56 FORD.jpg (22.3 KB, 7 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 02-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #24
Dobie Gillis

Question is who supplied the pre-1957 light duty axles if it wasn't Dana? I've found no info on the web and, believe me, I've looked.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #25
55blacktie

A banjo-style (not 9") was also used, but it wouldn't have a rear cover. Here are quotes from my 1955 Ford Car Shop Manual: "Passenger cars are equipped with a semi-floating, banjo housing, hypoid rear axle."

"An integral housing hypoid rear axle (fig. 21) is installed, as standard equipment, on Country Squire, Country Sedan, Ranch Wagon, Courier, Thunderbird, and Interceptor Models."

1956-56 Thunderbirds came with the latter, which is a Dana 44, and it has a rear cover, unlike the banjo-type. If the axle has a rear cover, and it's not a Dana 44, it is not a 55-56 OEM axle. If that's the case, it must be a non-Ford axle.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
Ford56

Thumbs up Re: Leaking differential

[QUOTE=KULTULZ;1982034]That rattled a few cobwebs. You are correct. FORD used a removable carrier rear assy prior to the 1957 9".

Now the question is, was the rear drained with removal of a rear cover or a drain hole? The pinion seal should have been able to have been replaced without carrier removal.

Sorry about that

The rear was drained with a drain hole. FYI, the instant the mechanic looked at it he said it wasn't a DANA. Initially, when he looked at the parts manuals for the local guys, they all said it was a DANA. When he phoned around to other "old" guys who've worked on these differentials over the past 40 years, they agreed it wasn't a DANA, and took to their own, dusty, dog eared, parts books, to look up what was needed, and called him back. The mechanic then knew what to get, and was able to get it from NAPA, which surprised me, because of the difficulty in identifying the part, I thought we'd have to go to an on-line source out of state, and wait for delivery. But, the local NAPA place had it, and we were in business.

Thanks to all who've added to this discussion. It has been educational, and appreciated.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Leaking differential

Quote:
The mechanic changed out the pinion seal and drained and put in new oil. Initially there was some calling around for the seal, and all the sources kept saying for a DANA, but, this differential isn't a DANA. So, it took some time to get the right one, but, NAPA had one. The oil was pretty thick, and the guys were laughing about it, and called me over to show me. Guess it hasn't been changed since Hector Was A Pup.

OK, that and it took a while to drain points to a FORD rear.

DARREL, I apologize.

It would have to be a P/I or had a transplant to be a DANA.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #28
TedEaton

I did some work on a '55 Crown with a 272 and 3 spd OverDrive that had a Dana (rear cover) and not the Ford (pumpkin style).

As far as the amount of time to replace the pinion seal, if it's a Dana, I would expect it to be about a 1-2 hour job; if the Ford drop out, then maybe give myself a half a day. 3 hours if feeling really energetic. Ted Eaton.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:28 AM   #29
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Leaking differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedEaton View Post

I did some work on a '55 Crown with a 272 and 3 spd OverDrive that had a Dana (rear cover) and not the Ford (pumpkin style).

Ted Eaton.
I have found it BEST never to say never regarding FOMOCO ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #30
5851a

I helped/watched a friend put a Dana from a wagon in a 56 Victoria from a 56 wagon, he also put a T85 and a 427 in front of it. But 50 years ago is a long time. Anything possible over the years. BTW that was quite a ride, passenger seat back was bent 2 inches further back than driver. Nothing to hang on to.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote