Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2021, 12:11 AM   #1
waynet

Default Theft Prevention Ideas??

Any unique idea's on how to prevent theft of our classic automobile?

It is too much of a chore to remove the wheels & engine every night to prevent theft.
waynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Theft Prevention Ideas??

Buy stated value insurance and be happy. No sense in being paranoid about something that odds are will not happen to you anyway.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:26 AM   #3
Brian

In all the years I've had my car, I've never removed the keys from the ignition. I never lock it. Honestly, who wants to steel an old Ford V8? Maybe in the 30's- good get away car after a bank robbery, but today? The way I see it, should some lowlife wish to steal my car, invariably, first thing they'll do is turn the key, effectively they've just locked it, then they wouldn't know where the start button is anyway!!

True story...years ago, I ran outta fuel in my car. Parked on side of highway. Upon returning with a tin of fuel, I noticed someone had swiped one of my hubcaps. My friend that was with me was real pissed off, moreso than me...I simply said to him "It'll come home"
Coupla months later, I returned to my car, parked in the local township, when this Maori guy approaches me and asks "Is this your car bro?" I told him it was...He asked "did some bugger pinch one of your hubcaps a while back?" I replied in the affirmative. He said " That was me bro...I'm real sorry bro...if you come to my place I'll give it back." He had a fresh scar down his left temple; he'd recently had some sorta brain surgery. Now I don't know if he had a near death experience or what, but some weeks later I journeyed to his place; he lived in a real remote location; required a ferry ride to other side of the harbour, and then about a 30 mile drive to his abode, but I got the hubcap back and he gave me some other V8 stuff he had.
I believe in Karma, I believe what I do on a daily basis, influences all things that happen in my life. I am not a thief, I don't think like a thief, thieves think about how to pinch stuff, consequently, they are pretty security conscious when it comes to safeguarding their belongings. My thinking 'I'm not a thief, no-ones going to steal my stuff- [karma]'

Now, you want to safeguard your car, I understand that. However, thing is, if some lowlife is determined to get it, they will! But, the reality is, really? who would steal your old car? Honestly?
Old 09-28-2021, 01:47 AM   #4
waynet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
In all the years I've had my car, I've never removed the keys from the ignition. I never lock it. Honestly, who wants to steel an old Ford V8? Maybe in the 30's- good get away car after a bank robbery, but today? The way I see it, should some lowlife wish to steal my car, invariably, first thing they'll do is turn the key, effectively they've just locked it, then they wouldn't know where the start button is anyway!!

True story...years ago, I ran outta fuel in my car. Parked on side of highway. Upon returning with a tin of fuel, I noticed someone had swiped one of my hubcaps. My friend that was with me was real pissed off, moreso than me...I simply said to him "It'll come home"
Coupla months later, I returned to my car, parked in the local township, when this Maori guy approaches me and asks "Is this your car bro?" I told him it was...He asked "did some bugger pinch one of your hubcaps a while back?" I replied in the affirmative. He said " That was me bro...I'm real sorry bro...if you come to my place I'll give it back." He had a fresh scar down his left temple; he'd recently had some sorta brain surgery. Now I don't know if he had a near death experience or what, but some weeks later I journeyed to his place; he lived in a real remote location; required a ferry ride to other side of the harbour, and then about a 30 mile drive to his abode, but I got the hubcap back and he gave me some other V8 stuff he had.
I believe in Karma, I believe what I do on a daily basis, influences all things that happen in my life. I am not a thief, I don't think like a thief, thieves think about how to pinch stuff, consequently, they are pretty security conscious when it comes to safeguarding their belongings. My thinking 'I'm not a thief, no-ones going to steal my stuff- [karma]'

Now, you want to safeguard your car, I understand that. However, thing is, if some lowlife is determined to get it, they will! But, the reality is, really? who would steal your old car? Honestly?
Great story. Have faith in all of humanity do you think?
Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 AM   #5
expavr

There was a Chrysler woodie parked in a stall next to our car at a motel we stayed in that had a boot locked on the RF and LR wheels. Short of jacking a car up and putting it on a dolly it seems like the use of boots arrayed in this fashion might slow a car thief down.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
D. Jones

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A manual transmission will prevent most drive-away thefts. Most people under 50 don't know how to operate them. A thief with a car trailer would be very difficult to stop if they are determined. Locking the steering with the wheels pointed to the curb should slow them down a bit. Most thief's are not inclined to put a lot of effort or time in to stealing something as that is too much like work, besides someone might see and report them. My insurance requires that my truck be garaged when I'm not driving it and if they get into my garage I'll arrange a meeting for them with the local police.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #7
markdtn

I recently went on a trip on RT66 on my OT '66 Mustang. I did 3 things for theft prevention. 1-a battery cutoff switch in the trunk 2-a pistol trigger lock around the hood latch and 3-a cable lock through the left front wheel. Took less than 5 min to set up at night when we got to the hotels and less than a minute to remove in the mornings. Nothing that would stop a dedicated thief, but hopefully it would deter joyriders and slow down/draw attention to anyone who wanted to steal it. It also gave me some piece of mind at night.

On my 8BA powered tractor when left at a show overnight I take the rotor and swap a plug wire and coil wire in the distributor cap, but honestly that won't do much against a determined crook.

I think the best you can hope for is to slow them down, or draw attention to themselves so they move on. But if someone else wants to bad enough they will take it.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
STEVE O

If you still have the steering lock on you column locked with the wheels turned this is a real theft deterrent if they try to load or tow your car. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
Frank Miller

Preventing theft is pretty difficult as a flatbed truck can just haul it away. Some crs are stolen when it is actually the trailer they want. A Lamborghini stolen on Long Island was found locally in a warehouse via a tracking device.
then there is this lovely lady here who took advantage of the keys being left in the truck.
https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...-truck-arrest/
Old 09-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
Zax40

I bought one of the "boots" they use for parking enforcement and always use it whenever I park my trailer. I haven't really been in a situation where I leave my vintage rides unattended for long periods yet, but could use the boot on them as well. The boots are not very expensive for the piece of mind you get. They stop both drive away and tow away theft.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
Willit Stop

I leave an empty holster on the seat.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
I leave an empty holster on the seat.

Then they'll break in looking for the gun.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
There was a Chrysler woodie parked in a stall next to our car at a motel we stayed in that had a boot locked on the RF and LR wheels. Short of jacking a car up and putting it on a dolly it seems like the use of boots arrayed in this fashion might slow a car thief down.

I've no first hand experience with parking boots but I've heard the lock mechanisms are pretty easy to defeat. But his might just be from someone who says "ran when parked" Just putting this out there.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
drolston

The business model of car thieves pretty much excludes early Fords as targets. They are way too easy to spot, and have zero market at the chop shops for parts.

When I park someplace questionable I remove the keys, only to preclude the possibility that some SOB might steal the keys, just for the pleasure of ruining my day.

Not one in a thousand could figure out how to start and drive these things. I loaned my '41 to a friend who wanted the car as background for some wedding photos. She knew how to drive a stick shift, but the simple difference between floor shift and column almost cost me a transmission.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Just for the record if a car is stolen that had the keys in the ignition your pretty much SOL on making any type of insurance claim.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #16
waynet

All great responses above - thanks.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
Clem Clement

My late uncle put an On/off switch on the ignition circuit under the dash. removing the rotor is a good one as is q tip tip in the dissy cab. If you have a Model T coil, you can wire i to a nearby puddle and the car. Good fun.

Last edited by Clem Clement; 09-30-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
jimTN

The battery cut off switch is a good way to go and a good thing to have for safety. I put them out of sight on the floor.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #19
Lawrie

I have a battery cut off switch under the seat on my 33 with a little extension on the lever so I can operate it ,
Not my idea, but my mate Keith ( Kpar )
Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #20
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
... Some cars are stolen when it is actually the trailer they want. ...
That happened here in Albuquerque. A guy was hauling a boattail speedster in an enclosed trailer, and parked for the night at a local motel. Trailer was gone in the morning. They found the speedster shoved down in a ditch on the edge of town, all they wanted was the trailer.

Door locks on the F-trucks are a joke, plus they have wing windows easily pried open. I have a special kill switch for the starter, column shift trans. I've never had a problem, I don't even bother locking the doors.