Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Cockshutt Kid

Default Spare tire covers

Good evening and happy Canada Day. Do any of you more knowledgeable and experienced guys happen to know what is correct and original on a 31 Model A for a tire cover. I have a 31 Tudor with single left side spare and an original luggage rack. Apparently it had a stainless tire cover but the previous owner thought that it was ugly because of the cracked spare tire and gave it away and replaced it with a cheap vinyl one that I think is truely ugly. All of the more knowledgeable A guys here claim that it could not have come from ford that way and quote things like the depression and Ford being a cheap car etc. to back up their arguement. Please, what could have come from Ford, what would be dealer installed, and what would be a time period correct aftermarket accessory. I am leaning towards a stainless cover with a black side panel to match the black car paint but would also like it to be as correct as possible. I have looked at as much literature as possible, but I have had no luck. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Arlen

Default Re: Spare tire covers

In the judging standards, it shows a tire cover with a large ford oval on the side similar to the reproduction ones being sold today, they are just a much cheaper piece now. Lebaron Bonney makes some beautiful tire covers as well in both tan cloth and black. I've also seen some people take closed car top material and make tire covers from it. Thought that looked cool too. The metal tire covers were around back then but I think sold outside the ford dealerships.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Tudortomnz

The metal tire covers were an accessory & probably not that common in the Model A era. Price new was $US 4 for all black or $US 6 for chromium outer ring. The fabric covers [ $us 2] were very common & often were put on when the car was prepared by the Dealer. They often are listed on receipts of new cars then, along with pedal pads.
I have read [ The 1932 Ford Book ; D. Rehor] that in 1932 Ford Canada often included the fabric cover in the new price, along with 5 tires, which was not Ford US policy.
Model A's new in Canada [ & their foreign companies also] sold the Model A with 5 tires.
The modern fabric covers are not identical to originals, but look good enough.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
john charlton

Check out page 554 in the yellow Ford Service Bulletin for April 1931 It shows the new style metal tire cover . I have the outer cover NOS found in the loft of an old Ford dealer building being demolished in Manchester England . Sadly the inner cover was also demolished in the process. My cover differs in that the moulding strip is stainless not chrome plated . Interestingly the cover has a small gold transfer on the inside which reads " Made In Canada" . Although pictured on the back of a Victoria I would guess it would also fit a side mount . I have been searching for 30 years for the inner cover but no luck yet !!!

John in lovely morning Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
JohnLaVoy

At the Model A Museum there is an original fabric tire cover. I found it interesting that it had metal rings at the outer edge to keep it stretched tight. Of course I like the full coverage I get from my non original cover on my sedan!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sedan at mill low res.pdf (224.8 KB, 139 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just saw your post and thought these images might be of interest of an all chrome Lyon metal tire cover produced by Skinner Mfg of Oshawa, Ontario in the early thirties. It was original before I had it re-plated. Lyon covers produced in the US were typically chrome with black band.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
1crosscut

The vast majority of the spare tire covers that I have seen on A's are shall I say... really cheesy looking. Loose, with plenty of wrinkles. I can't say that I have seen a spare tire cover that looked (to me at least) like it belonged on the car.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Cockshutt Kid

Very nice. About fifty years ago I learned to drive on a 31 Tudor which had an original side mount cover. It was chrome on the outer ring and and had a black body colour side panel. A buddy of mine who is wintering in Florida has found me a painted outer cover with a stainless strip around the circumference. I am anxious to see it, and think that it might be the right amount of bling for my car. I have to find the side cover . I eventually plan on installing a right hand side mount with matching covers, but that will probably be when I repainted the car. Nice to hear from you, and I earlier sent you a message when I saw that you were from Ontario.
Cockshutt Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockshutt Kid View Post
Very nice. About fifty years ago I learned to drive on a 31 Tudor which had an original side mount cover. It was chrome on the outer ring and and had a black body colour side panel. A buddy of mine who is wintering in Florida has found me a painted outer cover with a stainless strip around the circumference. I am anxious to see it, and think that it might be the right amount of bling for my car. I have to find the side cover . I eventually plan on installing a right hand side mount with matching covers, but that will probably be when I repainted the car. Nice to hear from you, and I earlier sent you a message when I saw that you were from Ontario.
Hmnn...no message in my inbox. I normally try not over accessorize, but I can't seem to resist displaying such a uniquely period correct Canadian item on a Canadian vehicle. I fear I will blind oncoming traffic with this glitz!

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote