Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
28ACoupe

Default Interesting new product on the market

I do not know anything about this product but it looks interesting. Has anyone who has actually used this? if so, what are your impressions?

I am going to research this more.

I have used their firearms products for years with great results as have many other people.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: Interesting new product on the market

http://www.archoil.com/
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

OH NO! Not ANOTHER OIL----Meybe we'll take a break & finish Vermin----Buster T.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
johnsor

A lot of B.S.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

I try to never bash a new product, because like many similar new products, some folks are just skeptical ........................ only time will tell.

Now if this company would begin advertising their product on national TV that this product could also:

a) Grow new hair on one's head; or.

b) Could have magical testosterone effects like ........... "If the experience last more than (4) hours, call your doctor" .......... then I definitely would recommend that all Model A owners "not" buy it ..................... buy a lot of stock in this company to add funds to your retirement.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

ATTENTION

FLORIDA LAND FOR SALE

CHECK LOCAL TIDE TABLES, AVAILABLE FOR INSPECTION

AT LOW TIDE

CONTACT Paul in CT at Ludlow 254-6666
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I have been using ARCHOIL now for over 2 years and it is a FANTASTIC product and works and does exactly what it says..a Friction reducer. Don't bash it Jonsor until you have experimented with it for a long term period.

Here is a great video with Jay Leno.http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...cation/n45203/
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
MikeK

The only thing "NEW" is their advertising push, which leads you to believe their Boron compound additives are something new that is their own proprietary technology. Not so. Many brands of lubricants contain additive packages with the same technology, they just don't make a big deal out of it.
Here is an abstract from a published research paper 30 YEARS AGO about this:

Dithiophosphates containing nitrogen and boron as effective antiwear and antifriction additives for lubricating oils

V. A. Parfenova, I. A. Buyanovskii, P. S. Belov, R. M. Matveevskii, D. G. Prisyazhnyi, V. A. Lapina
Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils (Impact Factor: 0.12). 01/1984; 20(4):192-196. DOI:10.1007/BF00731768

ABSTRACT Various modifications of dithiophosphates are used extensively as additives to improve the lubricity, oxidation resistance, and anticorrosion properties of mineral oils. In order to increase the efficiency of the dithiophosphates, they are combined with additives of other classes, particularly with organic esters of boron [1, 2] and nitrogen-containing compounds [3]. Of undoubted interest are compounds containing all of the active elements in the same molecule: nitrogen, boron, phosphorus, and sulfur. Here we are reporting on an investigation of the antiwear and antifriction properties of dithiophosphates containing nitrogen and boron; these are salts of dibutyl-, dioctyl-, didodecyl-, Cxo-Cls dialkyl-, and di(octylphenyl)dithiophosphoric acids and a nitrogen-containing borolidine. These compounds are viscous llquids, readily soluble in mineral oils. The antiwear properties of these additives were determined in an IMASh four-ball friction tester [4] with standard balls (diameter 12.7 mm, material ShKhl5 steel [similar to 52100]) at a rotating speed of 1450 rpm and an axial load of 200 N. The test time, in accordance with GOST 9490--75, was I h. The antifriction properties were evaluated by the temperature method in a KT-2 tester in accordance with GOST 17604--72 [5]. For comparison, the same procedures were used to determine the antiwear and antifriction properties of DF-II additive, which is a solution of a zinc dialkyldithiophosphate in a low-viscosity oil; also tested for comparison was an oil-soluble molybdenum compound. The additives were blended in M-11 mineral oil at concentrations of 0.5-2% by weight. From the test results (Table 1), it can be seen that the use of the additives in the oil reduces the wear scar diameter. Here the salt of di(octylphenyl)dithiophosphoric acid and the nitrogen-containing borolidine, at the concentrations investigated, is considerably better in antlwear properties than the commercial DF-11 additive. The salts of the dialkyldlthiophosphoric acids and the nitrogen-containlng borolldine, the molecules of which contain 8-13 carbon atoms in the alkyl group, have approximately the same antlwear properties, and are somewhat better in this respect than the DF-II additive. With a smaller number of carbon atoms in the alkyl group, the wear is considerably greater. For the salt obtained from the alkylphenol, the wear scar diameter is reduced to 0.27-0.31mm. The nitrogen-containing borolldine itself, the same as the amine salt of di(octylphenyl)dithlophosphoric acid, is quite ineffective under these test conditions. At the same time, the salt of the di(octylphenyl)dlthlophosphoric acid and the nitrogen-containing borolidine is distinguished by high efficiency. Since the evaluation of antiwear properties of lubricant formulations according to the wear scar diameter is only approximate, we also used a procedure given in [4] to test the most and least effective additives, i.e., the salts of di(octylphenyl)dithiophosphoric acid and dibutyldithiophosphoric acid with the nitrogen-containing borolidlne, in comparison to the nitrogen-containing borolldine and the corresponding salts of dithiophosphoric acid and amines; the DF-II additive was also included in this comparison. In this test procedure, the wear process is characterized by parameters of a linear approximation of the dependence of the linear wear rate Ah/As (where h is the depth of wear of the lower ball; s is the friction path) on the contact pressure p; these parameters are the slope K of this linear relationship and the intercept on the p-axis.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The only thing "NEW" is their advertising push, which leads you to believe their Boron compound additives are something new that is their own proprietary technology. Not so. Many brands of lubricants contain additive packages with the same technology, they just don't make a big deal out of it.
Here is an abstract from a published research paper 30 YEARS AGO about this:

Everything old is new again.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 AM   #10
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I have been using ARCHOIL now for over 2 years and it is a FANTASTIC product and works and does exactly what it says..a Friction reducer.
Makes me wonder whatever became of Wynn's Friction Proofing?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Uncle Bob

Thank you MikeK for bringing reality to the discussion rather than just "feelings".
Friction modified lubricants have been mass marketed for over 30 years (if you've got some "vintage" oil cans from around 1980, especially 10w-30, there very likely is some phrasing on the label indicating "friction modifier" or similar). With the mandated reduction of ZDDP those other technologies, e.g. boron, nitrogen, are now present in most commercial crankcase lubricants. However, "specialty" lubricant marketers have been using "flowery" rhetoric probably since the dawn of written language to attempt to "differentiate" their product from the common. Arch probably does work fine.............given that it is very likely similar or the same as most more common products that work fine too.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
GANGA

The fact that the DOE did the research and the technology to make nano particles of boron is why this different. Most of the oil manufactures use boron as a detergent which it is. Archoil reacts differently at the nano level than a micron particle of boron. Nano technology is going to change every part of your life including how drugs are ministered and how engines and gear boxes are lubricated. If you would like to talk to the PHD who developed this technology let me know and I will arrange a phone conversation with you. The only request is to keep an open mind!!
GANGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Slowplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Makes me wonder whatever became of Wynn's Friction Proofing?
I think its available from Justice Brothers in Duarte California. I believe they've owned Wynn's for many years.
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
700rpm

>>I do not know anything about this product but it looks interesting. Has anyone who has actually used this? if so, what are your impressions?<<

Thanks for the post, Ron. I'm always surprised how some people get apoplectic over the smallest things.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
denis4x4

Years ago I got a call from a gentleman asking me to prepare a marketing plan for a windshield wiper preservative. I told him to save his money....it was Alan Ripinsky, founder of ArmorAll!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #16
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I have been using ARCHOIL now for over 2 years and it is a FANTASTIC product and works and does exactly what it says..a Friction reducer. Don't bash it Jonsor until you have experimented with it for a long term period.

Here is a great video with Jay Leno.http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...cation/n45203/
OK Mark -What does it do . Specifically what do you find that is fantastic about it ? -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
amdriven2liv

My .02 on Archoil.

Started seeing this product back in 2011. The additive was being looked at specifically for the Ford 6.0L diesel engines. These engines get what they call "injector stiction". Stiction is from carbon build up on the spool valves in the injectors. 2 ways to fix this issue.

One, is to replace the injector. Cost $260 plus core. (x8 injectors)

Two, as we have been learning, is to take the injector a part and fine sand the spool valve.

Along the way someone found Archoil AR9100. http://www.archoil.com/ar9100-nanobo...tion-modifier/

Here is the forum this subject started in. Post #5 is when it showed up.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=112058

Since then, many 6.0L owners have been having very good results clearing up the Stiction issues. Since then, Archoil has set up Ford 6.0L kits.

I went with a preventive direction. I used the AR2300 cleaner. I figured, one good cleaning, I wouldn't have to add AR9100 every oil change. It sure dirtied my oil quickly.

I'm new to the Model A motors, and really am not sure I would really need to use a product like this.

Will be interested in reading others .02 on this.

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote