Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
F-ONE

Default Help with old Mallory zb 275

Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

I have this Mallory ZB. It's the dual point model with the vacuum brake. As you can see somebody has drilled through the cap for the vacuum brake.

I would really like to get this distributor restored. Since Bubba has retired do any of you know anyone who can repair it and get it back to spec?

If that is not an option, can it be used without the vacuum brake feature? Will work just as a mechanical unit? I can do some basic things to try to get it going.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Travis.

Last edited by F-ONE; 08-17-2021 at 12:20 PM.
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
flathead4rd

Default Re: Help with old Mallory zb 275

I'm not aware of a vacuum brake on that particular model. I thought that model had mechanical advance.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
F-ONE

It has both. Mechanical advance and a vacuum brake. My understanding is the vacuum brake is not really "vacuum advance" but it's a "buffer"...so to speak that works with the mechanical advance in this model.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
tubman

The ones I have seem with a vacuum brake work exactly like the pre-49 Fords. They even use the same leather "brake pad".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #5
F-ONE

Thanks tubman. Do you know how this comes off?
It looks like someone has monkeyed with it before.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
tubman

I think I have one at my shop; I'll take a look. I know I've had one apart before.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
F-ONE

Thanks Tubman.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
tubman

I finally found the original thread I was looking for; sorry it took so long. I have to agree with "flathead4rd" that you do NOT have a distributor with a vacuum brake. I think the boss is cast into the distributor body as a provision for a mechanical tach drive (which isn't there either). Here are the pictures I took of the Mallory for my '51 Olds that does have a vacuum, brake. I think you can see it is completely different from what you have. In my third picture, I think you can see the disc inside the distributor that the piston with the leather pad rides on.

As an aside, this is a very interesting distributor. Not only does it have the vacuum brake, but it also uses a special Mallory "FlashFire" coil that has two primary windings, but only one secondary winding. Each set of points acts independently to alternately energize each of the primary windings that induce an impulse in the common secondary winding. It is a "poor man's" dual coil that doesn't need the expensive specialized cap and rotor most require. In essence, it is like all dual coil distributors in that it is two independent 4 cylinder units, firing alternate cylinders, thus the need for two condensers.

Oh yeah, the last picture is the leather pad that I make for both Ford and Mallory distributors (they use the same one). Note how thick it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1862.jpg (63.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1863.jpg (56.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1864.jpg (63.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1865.jpg (42.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by tubman; 08-30-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #9
tubman

Crap, I see now that I have one of my older condensers on that distributor. We initially had a lot of problems getting the bottom piece to fit right.

Be assured that problem has now been solved.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:53 PM   #10
F-ONE

Quote:
I have to agree with "flathead4rd" that you do NOT have a distributor with a vacuum brake.

It's threaded right there for what I assumed was a vacuum port. It's really interesting.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:09 AM   #11
F-ONE

I got it out. Blowing in that welch plug hole with the advance hole plugged. Air blows out the bottom of the distributor. Pulling a vacuum...air sucks in through the bottom of the distributor. It appears that the vacuum stuff has been removed, if it ever had any.
I guess the best bet is to see if it will work as a mechanical only unit.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:11 AM   #12
F-ONE

Thumbs up Re: Help with old Mallory zb 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I finally found the original thread I was looking for; sorry it took so long. I have to agree with "flathead4rd" that you do NOT have a distributor with a vacuum brake. I think the boss is cast into the distributor body as a provision for a mechanical tach drive (which isn't there either). Here are the pictures I took of the Mallory for my '51 Olds that does have a vacuum, brake. I think you can see it is completely different from what you have. In my third picture, I think you can see the disc inside the distributor that the piston with the leather pad rides on.

As an aside, this is a very interesting distributor. Not only does it have the vacuum brake, but it also uses a special Mallory "FlashFire" coil that has two primary windings, but only one secondary winding. Each set of points acts independently to alternately energize each of the primary windings that induce an impulse in the common secondary winding. It is a "poor man's" dual coil that doesn't need the expensive specialized cap and rotor most require. In essence, it is like all dual coil distributors in that it is two independent 4 cylinder units, firing alternate cylinders, thus the need for two condensers.

Oh yeah, the last picture is the leather pad that I make for both Ford and Mallory distributors (they use the same one). Note how thick it is.
Thank you so much I appreciate it. Beautiful stuff.