Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
700rpm

Default Considering buying a T

I’ve always been a Model A guy, but this is tempting. The seller says it’s all original, 90% complete, and was running when parked. Been in the family since new. It looks a little rough, but good unrestored T’s are getting hard to find. He’s only asking $1500. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelT.jpg (149.2 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg T2.jpg (147.6 KB, 257 views)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Considering buying a T

I always wanted a T and bought one fully restored 3 years ago. I refer to it as a major mistake.
A 1924 one door turtle back roadster.
[/B]
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Stingray70

A couple of new tires and some fresh gas and you are all set!
Old 02-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I’ve always been a Model A guy, but this is tempting. The seller says it’s all original, 90% complete, and was running when parked. Been in the family since new. It looks a little rough, but good unrestored T’s are getting hard to find. He’s only asking $1500. What do you guys think?
The headlight reflectors look good...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Mike Peters

Ray, surely you jest! I think the cows got the better of that car. Not much left useable. Couple hundred bucks? I think new wooden wheels alone are over a grand, RUN! Plus T's aren't worth much finished. I put a '15 T touring together a few years ago, and it really is an interesting car, nothing like a Model A, but to be honest, I don't put 300 miles a year on it anymore.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
rogerkb1936

i can see 2 or 3 weeks work in that
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
I always wanted a T and bought one fully restored 3 years ago. I refer to it as a major mistake.
A 1924 one door turtle back roadster.
[/B]
Wayne, wow!! I'd much rather tour in one of my Model-Ts than As. More leg room for me, arguable more crowd appeal at stops, more touring opportunities, etc. I've had e of my T to the top of Mt. Rushmore, we've toured the New England states, several tours through the Midwest, toured the same routes and location as Henry Ford & the Vagabonds did 100 years to the day, driven on the sand of Daytona Beach, and even drove 340 miles in one day on the Blue Ridge and Skyline Parkway from Blowing Rock, NC to Luray, VA. My daughter even hillclimbed her speedster when she was still in high school at the FAST hillclimb in Unicoi. My kids would 10 to 1 rather have a Model-T over an A. Matter of fact, both kids started driving their own Ts on tours when they each turned 16. My family definitely does not feel like Model-Ts are a mistake. Several other regulars here like Bill Stipe, Randall Strickland, and a few others likely feel the same way about their Ts.

Below are a few random pix of my family touring with our Ts. Even a video clip of my son Blake unloading & starting his speedster on a tour in Galax, VA. It definitely runs out of steering WAY before it runs out of throttle, ...and will easily outrun most stock Model-As.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZ8uQ0VkiA

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beach.jpg (40.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Ridge Parkway.jpg (73.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Clear Lake IA.jpg (59.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Michigan Tour 2007.jpg (71.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Hillclimb 01.jpg (63.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Hillclimb 02.jpg (77.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Hillclimb 03.jpg (98.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Gateway Mountain.jpg (77.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Blake & Bre with friends in Minnesota.jpg (74.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Vagabond Tour.jpg (102.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Richlands Tour.jpg (93.8 KB, 115 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wayne, wow!! I'd much rather tour in one of my Model-Ts than As. More leg room for me, arguable more crowd appeal at stops, more touring opportunities, etc. I've had e of my T to the top of Mt. Rushmore, we've toured the New England states, several tours through the Midwest, toured the same routes and location as Henry Ford & the Vagabonds did 100 years to the day, driven on the sand of Daytona Beach, and even drove 340 miles in one day on the Blue Ridge and Skyline Parkway from Blowing Rock, NC to Luray, VA. My daughter even hillclimbed her speedster when she was still in high school at the FAST hillclimb in Unicoi. My kids would 10 to 1 rather have a Model-T over an A. Matter of fact, both kids started driving their own Ts on tours when they each turned 16. My family definitely does not feel like Model-Ts are a mistake. Several other regulars here like Bill Stipe, Randall Strickland, and a few others likely feel the same way about their Ts.

Below are a few random pix of my family touring with our Ts. Even a video clip of my son Blake unloading & starting his speedster on a tour in Galax, VA. It definitely runs out of steering WAY before it runs out of throttle, ...and will easily outrun most stock Model-As.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZ8uQ0VkiA

Looks like you have great fun. I found it more work than fun. I am sure I am in the minority. No offence intended to Model T people. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
nkaminar

I have also always been a Model A person. I wanted to buy a Model T in high school. It was for sale for $150 and pretty much stock. I would guess mid 1920's. But my father said no. He had experience with Model T's and knew they could be dangerous. He lost an axle or gears on a down grade in LA with his parents in the back seat and had to head for a curb to stop. I kind of agree with him that it can be dangerous car.

Fast forward to about 12 years ago when I had the money to buy a 1915 Model T touring car. I bought it because I had never owned one and wanted the experience. I put a lot of work into the that car, basically increasing the value twofold. One of the first things I did was put working brakes on the rear wheels so that I would not have to depend on a connection between the transmission and rear wheels. I really enjoyed that car and drove it all over the south east. But eventually I had enough experience and sold it to buy another A. If I had the money and space I would have kept it.

The A is a modern car compared to the T. It has a real transmission and 4-wheel brakes. Plus a steering box. The T had a steering setup more like a gokart. The transmission brake is almost useless. Coast to a stop then apply the brake. The ignition system is from another era. But that is part of the charm of a T.

A comfortable speed is 35 mph and maybe 40 on a 4 lane road that is flat and straight. It cannot go on the highway. Although people build speedsters that can do 70 mph but you will never catch me riding in one.

If you can afford it and have the room, I recommend owning a T and an A. A 1915 Model T or earlier will get you into the Horseless Carriage Club tours which are a blast because of the variety of brass cars. Even an occasional Stanley Steamer.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I have also always been a Model A person. I wanted to buy a Model T in high school. It was for sale for $150 and pretty much stock. I would guess mid 1920's. But my father said no. He had experience with Model T's and knew they could be dangerous. He lost an axle or gears on a down grade in LA with his parents in the back seat and had to head for a curb to stop. I kind of agree with him that it can be dangerous car.

Fast forward to about 12 years ago when I had the money to buy a 1915 Model T touring car. I bought it because I had never owned one and wanted the experience. I put a lot of work into the that car, basically increasing the value twofold. One of the first things I did was put working brakes on the rear wheels so that I would not have to depend on a connection between the transmission and rear wheels. I really enjoyed that car and drove it all over the south east. But eventually I had enough experience and sold it to buy another A. If I had the money and space I would have kept it.

The A is a modern car compared to the T. It has a real transmission and 4-wheel brakes. Plus a steering box. The T had a steering setup more like a gokart. The transmission brake is almost useless. Coast to a stop then apply the brake. The ignition system is from another era. But that is part of the charm of a T.

A comfortable speed is 35 mph and maybe 40 on a 4 lane road that is flat and straight. It cannot go on the highway. Although people build speedsters that can do 70 mph but you will never catch me riding in one.

If you can afford it and have the room, I recommend owning a T and an A. A 1915 Model T or earlier will get you into the Horseless Carriage Club tours which are a blast because of the variety of brass cars. Even an occasional Stanley Steamer.
Yes, -the older we get, the wiser we get. Check your PMs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #11
jb-ob

RPM,

Are you handy with money ??
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
MARKA

Hello ,
I bought a 20 Model T tourer about 20 years ago .

Since I was a kid I was attracted to the history and looks of the T as well as its agricultural Mechanics.It was the first Antique car I purchased.

After owning it and driving it for 12 months I decided to sell it.
Why ? Every time I it took it out for a a drive whether short or long at the end of the drive I had a headache.
I never had headaches before this.
I put this down to the stress I was under driving it in a big city.

Every time I got close to a set of traffic lights I had to decide whether to proceed at normal speed or slow down in case the traffic lights changed.This was stressful as I knew if the lights changed when I was reasonably close to the lights I could not stop in time if travelling at 35 mph.All I had was the transmission brake band to stop the car.

It was only a matter of time before my luck would run out and I would be T boned by another car..
The number of red lights I ran through made me decide the T was not suitable to drive in a big city with lots of traffic.
If I lived in a small town this would not have been an issue.

After I sold the T and got the A I no longer got headaches when driving the A.
I still love the look of the T models but for me they are not suited to driving in big busy cities.
Mark.
MARKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
i can see 2 or 3 weeks work in that
Roger is on the right track with this one.

Turn it over to any one of the impossible time schedule car 'restoration' shows on cable TV and they'll have this baby tour and show ready in what, 5 days tops? Throw in the drama of the wrong set of rims that were sourced and the cussing and stupidity and vo-ila,,, we gots a SHOW

THAT is how you handle this.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #14
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
RPM,

Are you handy with money ??
Seems the only kind of money I ever have is real slippery.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #15
Greg Jones

I have my grandfather's Model T (it was his work car in the 40's and early 50's). My Dad gave it to me and I restored it. All of the above is true in that driving in modern traffic is risky, certainly in a populated city. They don't move fast. And the bit about a broken axle and loosing your brakes is all too true. If you do want a Model T, certain modifications are almost essential, particularly floating rear hubs and auxiliary brakes.

I will never get rid of my Model T even though I rarely drive it, and when I do, only out on a sparsely traveled country road. By comparison, I refer to my Model A's as my "modern cars." A Model T owner has to be willing to tinker and tweak and not everyone is willing to do that. Far more tinkering and tweaking on a Model T than a Model A. Having said that, I sure would like an early brass T.......
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #16
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKA View Post
Hello ,

Since I was a kid I was attracted to the history and looks of the T as well as its agricultural Mechanics.It was the first Antique car I purchased.

Why ? Every time I it took it out for a a drive whether short or long at the end of the drive I had a headache.

Every time I got close to a set of traffic lights I had to decide whether to proceed at normal speed or slow down in case the traffic lights changed.This was stressful as I knew if the lights changed when I was reasonably close to the lights I could not stop in time if travelling at 35 mph.All I had was the transmission brake band to stop the car.

It was only a matter of time before my luck would run out and I would be T boned by another car..
The number of red lights I ran through made me decide the T was not suitable to drive in a big city with lots of traffic.

I still love the look of the T models but for me they are not suited to driving in big busy cities.
Mark.
What city were you in?

Old 02-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #17
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKA View Post
Hello ,

Mark.
I like to look at them, and that is about it. Took a spin in one at The Henry Ford. They just are not practical these days. They sure were great in the day. I love my A. Cast iron drums, super heavy duty radiator, and an overdrive. I can take it to the hardware store, out for a spin, on tour with my local club. It's a very nice car.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #18
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I have my grandfather's Model T (it was his work car in the 40's and early 50's). My Dad gave it to me and I restored it. All of the above is true in that driving in modern traffic is risky, certainly in a populated city. They don't move fast. And the bit about a broken axle and loosing your brakes is all too true. If you do want a Model T, certain modifications are almost essential, particularly floating rear hubs and auxiliary brakes.

I will never get rid of my Model T even though I rarely drive it, and when I do, only out on a sparsely traveled country road. By comparison, I refer to my Model A's as my "modern cars." A Model T owner has to be willing to tinker and tweak and not everyone is willing to do that. Far more tinkering and tweaking on a Model T than a Model A. Having said that, I sure would like an early brass T.......

And Greg just think about this, The T was the first little car, that the average person could afford, THAT WORKED. That's why they sold so many of them.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #19
MARKA

Ray
I live in Melbourne Australia which is about the same size as LA. 5 million people. I live 15 miles out in the burbs. The city spreads out in a radius of 50 miles in all directions from the center.

In the suburbs there are traffic lights everywhere , now they have cameras on them so you incur a $200 fine if you run them.

Once out in the countryside it is great. It just getting there that is the problem.
You cannot run a T on a freeway, but with an A you can .

Big cities suck. Avoid living in them if you can.
My plan in a few years is to shift to Dunedin NZ my favorite city , with less than a million people and get out of the rat race.

Mark.
MARKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #20
Slowmotoring

90% completely gone
Slowmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote