Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default Source for new top bows for 68C

I am wondering who might be a good source for replacement wooden top bows for a 68-C/slant window Cabriolet? Is Classic Wood still in business and/or might there be other good resources available? Thanks in advance for any help and guidance along these lines.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Source for new top bows for 68C

Classic wood has them. I have a 68 C to restore and have the wood but have not yet actually tried them out.. but have looked at them and they look good. Hopefully when I get to that point all is well. Classic does a nice job on their wood.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Dick Carne

Thanks Larry -

I want to think that I had heard that Steve had suffered some sort of illness and had perhaps cut back on production or maybe even sold his business - glad to know that is not the case (if I am mistaken, then I at least hope that he is doing well). Thanks for confirming that Classic is still a possible resource - I'll reach out to them this next week.

Thanks again -

Dick
Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
Thanks Larry -

I want to think that I had heard that Steve had suffered some sort of illness and had perhaps cut back on production or maybe even sold his business - glad to know that is not the case (if I am mistaken, then I at least hope that he is doing well). Thanks for confirming that Classic is still a possible resource - I'll reach out to them this next week.

Thanks again -

Dick
Dick,
I believe Steve passed away a few years ago as I had heard he was quite Ill but the business is continuing on. I believe that's what his office lady had told me last I spoke to them on the 68c wood.

I have all their kits so when the time comes I'll have it. I know some trimming and mods may be necessary but at least having it is better than not.

Keep in touch on yours and let me know how it goes.
All the best!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
w.michael

Classic Wood Products is indeed still in business under new ownership, after the death of the previous owner. The owner and staff treated the Piedmont Region MARC to a tour of their facility in November, in their Greensboro, NC location. They were most gracious in providing us with a tour of the shop, the stock, and the "dungeon" where they store original wood parts for pattern verification. We actually watched one of the craftsmen build a Model A windshield header from start to finish. While I have not actually used any of their woodwork, I have never heard anything negative about this operation. They were certainly very welcoming to us. This is a first-class operation.

Website is www.classicwoodproductsllc.com

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
Dick Carne

Thanks again guys. Sorry to learn of Steve's passing. The rest of the wood in this car should do fine for patterns in making new wood, I'm just uncomfortable with steaming new bows. Larry - I'll try to keep you posted once I get into re-doing this old gentleman - please do the same as you make progress on yours as well.

Dick
Old 12-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

Steve originally had the bows wrong. He used the wrong joint and did not have the faces level between the two parts. The #2 bow was not steam bent one piece and did not have a metal piece in it.

I told him they were wrong and he did not believe me. Then he got an original full set of 68C wood in pretty good shape (I would have used the wood). He made up a set of top wood based on the new woods and sent it to me. I set it up (I have a set of bad original top wood to check against) and found the problems and he correct them. The corrected set he sent me worked much much better. He copied the original joints of the #1 bow which made set up much better.

The major problems with the wood will be the shape. All the original wood has lost the curve across the top. It should not be flat. This affects how the top goes down and puts the sides at the wrong angle. The top is spread out because the curve flattened out.
The other problem is the position of the machine screw for the #1 bow hinge mount. It was in the wrong place and would not set the edge of the bow in the right spot to be in line with the body side.

Since all this I have a set of prints for the wood. I know the correct curve that needs to be in the wood bows. That is important to get right as it makes a big difference in the look of the top.

I also believe you want to get a single piece steam bent bow for the #2 bow. I have an original bow I intend on trying to save. It is flat across the top and has the metal reinforcement in it. I plan on steaming it back into shape. If that does not work I will try and make one from scratch.

Understand the top is a functional part of the car. You need to do a lot of work in setting it up properly. The wood can mess you up if it is off slightly from what I have discovered. If you have original wood, even in bad shape, mock that up first. It kind of just works, it is amazing. Then fight with the repro wood. In any event, expect to take some time to get it right.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Oldbluoval

I just made one but did make it out of lumber stock (hard maple) rather than steam bent. I have a decent original but it has stressed in the corners from the wood being steam bent. Also, I have seen new roadster and deluxe phaeton repo steam bent bows that begin to try to go back to original shape; they become a rhombus. All-in-all, I would not use steam bent; they will distort. I put a 1/2" stainless metal reinforcement in as original, glued and pinned joints. I think with the good glues and tight joints it is better than the steam bent ones. Just IMHO. Granted, I do not have one made as above that is 85 years old
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
Dick Carne

I'm beginning to get a little confused as to what might be the best course to take going forward. I'm not opposed to trying to duplicate a set of bows if I could properly establish the correct shape. On the one hand, I have an old template that was used to make the wooden interior wheel wells on our old '29 Mail Truck, and presume that in one sense that method might be one avenue that could similarly be used for making a set of bows; I'm also aware that glue can be used to work magic in fashioning "unnatural" wood shapes with quite good results (my nephew and I used that method when re-doing the wood on both my '29 Town Sedan and a friend's A-400). The bows that are currently on the car could be original, but I'm just not sure (the fellow I purchased this car from was the son of the second owner who purchased the car from the original owner in 1936 - it was essentially a two-owner car; the top that is on the car now was replaced in the mid-sixties, but I don't know about the bows).

Kevin - Would you be willing to share a copy of your prints for these pieces? If so, I'd be glad to cover your costs in making up a duplicate copy in that event.

Thanks once again guys. Please know that your thoughts and guidance are most appreciated.

Dick