Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default Need Advice on Heinz Wiper Installation

I'm in the final stages of finishing the restoration on our '29 Town Sedan, and would appreciate some advice and insight on the possible installation of a later, 1930 model Heinz electric wiper. At last year's MARC National Meet, I purchased an original Heinz wiper from Gary Johnson, who advised that it was his opinion that the wiper I purchased, originally from a 1930 car, would allow for a little more flexibility than the Heinz wiper that would have originally come on the car. The 1930 wiper has at least two additional shafts and will require that additional holes be drilled into the windshield frame to accommodate the "new" wiper. However, it also appears that the electric lead may not be quite long enough to extend through the windshield to allow making the connection on the inside ridge of the windshield frame. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a difference in the windshield frame between 1929 and 1930 that would prevent making this transition
(other than adding new mounting holes)?

2. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to extend the electrical lead on the wiper, if necessary, or if not, recommendations on how to attach the wire leading to the wiper?

3. Any other recommendations on how I might be able to install this wiper?

I don't plan to drive this car in the rain, but will instead use RAINEX as my primary combatant against any rain should we be caught out. But since everything else works on the car, it would be nice to having a working wiper as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and recommendations.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote