Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
fundytides

Default Broken Venturi

My Zenith carb has a triangular piece broken out of the upper portion of the venturi. Does this make any difference? Seems to work ok. Leave it alone or order a new venturi and puller and fix it?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Broken Venturi

I doubt a small missing part of the Venturi would make much of a difference. But if you want to fix it, why don't you tape off the holes in the carb and block off the venturi opening to prevent sanding dust from getting in the carb and apply a little J-B Weld and sand it down to the shape it was?
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
KMeredith87

Flow is changed. However, it most likely doesn’t make much of a difference. Personally I would replace the Venturi, they’re cheap and it will ensure it has the correct flow. If it is an original pot metal Venturi I have used a torch in the past to remove broken ones. No need to use a fancy puller on a broken part that won’t be reused in my opinion. They melt quickly and won’t harm the cast. Just be warned the pot metal can pop and splatter a bit when heated.
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
ursus

Zenith venturies tend to become stuck in either the top or bottom half of the carburetor. Efforts to remove them may cause damage when it was probably better to leave them stuck in place and move on with the cleaning and restoration of the unit.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
fundytides

Thanks guys. I'll get a new Venturi next time I am ordering parts and replace the broken one when I have a chance. Doesn't sound like it's a must do item but might as well have it right. The missing piece is actually fairly large. These carbs seem to function quite well even when they have problems. One time in the 50's, when an A was my daily driver, my car started missing on one cylinder. Investigation found that one valve was not closing. When I removed the head, one of the jets from the carb had come loose and was jammed under the intake valve. Put it back in carb and away we went.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

This is how the venturi works:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carburetor Jet Tips Location 227kb.jpg (72.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
nkaminar

Why is a venturi used and not a simple plate with a hole in it. The hole would increase the velocity too and create a low pressure area to suck in the gasoline.

The answer is that the venturi does not create as much pressure drop and it is thus more efficient.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
Fhane

One of the definitions of a Venturi.
A Venturi is a system for speeding the flow of the fluid or air by constricting it in a cone shape tube. In the restriction the fluid must increase its velocity reducing its pressure and producing a partial vacuum. As the fluid leaves the constriction, its pressure increases the flow.
An example of a Venturi would be the large concrete structure typically seen at a nuclear power house used in the process of cooling water. The shape pulls the air from the bottom to the top at a greater speed to the shape of the Venturi.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

The venturi is more efficient because of its laminar flow characteristics. A plate with a hole would have chaotic flow.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
Rob Doe

Nice thread, just had my carb apart 5 times. Detail, fine point question that could help me. Is the ledge the venturi sits on still the exact point within the venturi? And how do you know the tips are level with the ledge?

Do you have a disc that fits into the space and rests on the ledge and rocks if the jet is high? I looked from the intake end of the carb, but still must estimate as the tip of the jet and the ledge are just out of view.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

fundytides here is a nicely machined new venturi from Snyder's.

Under 5 bucks American money not sure what that is in Canadian dollars. But cheap.

Don't mess around you probably need a gasket set and maybe a few other items anyway. Good luck.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../gaskets-parts
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #12
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
fundytides here is a nicely machined new venturi from Snyder's.

Under 5 bucks American money not sure what that is in Canadian dollars. But cheap.

Don't mess around you probably need a gasket set and maybe a few other items anyway. Good luck.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../gaskets-parts
Thanks Jeff. That's the plan. I periodically order several small parts and have them shipped to a mailing depot in Maine and then go pick them up. It's only an hour away and a nice Sunday drive. However because of the current border closure, I haven't been able to do that. The cost of the item is the not the issue, it's the shipping to Canada, plus the "brokerage fee" the carrier ads on to collect the border fees (taxes). I needed a shut off valve a short time ago and the carrier charged $10.00 to collect $7.00 in border fees. By the time you add in exchange on the money and shipping to Canada, actual cost of the item is more than doubled. I'm not really complaining, I'm glad to be able to get the parts I need, but if it's a non urgent item I will wait until I can travel again. Thanks for you interest and stay safe!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
McMimmcs

Do you not have Model A parts distributors in Canada?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
Thanks Jeff. That's the plan. I periodically order several small parts and have them shipped to a mailing depot in Maine and then go pick them up. It's only an hour away and a nice Sunday drive. However because of the current border closure, I haven't been able to do that. The cost of the item is the not the issue, it's the shipping to Canada, plus the "brokerage fee" the carrier ads on to collect the border fees (taxes). I needed a shut off valve a short time ago and the carrier charged $10.00 to collect $7.00 in border fees. By the time you add in exchange on the money and shipping to Canada, actual cost of the item is more than doubled. I'm not really complaining, I'm glad to be able to get the parts I need, but if it's a non urgent item I will wait until I can travel again. Thanks for you interest and stay safe!
Holy crap I forgot about you guys having to pay all of that
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote