Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
Kpar

Default My Winge for the Month

I know just about everyone here has complained about this but here is my Beef.
What the hell is going on with Repo stuff Verses original or NOS.
You would think with modern technology things could be manufactured a lot better than the original. The advertised fuel pumps I purchased (and others) are almost impossible to stop leaks unless you machine the ends of the inlet body. Then when look at the inlet/outlet seats what a mess. the old pumps are a lot better in quality.
What is going on, is it all about the $ or just poor quality control.
That's my Beef
Kpar
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: My Winge for the Month

Machining isnīt the issue...itīs the total lack of pride in what you make and quality control that is the issue.
And that everybody complains...then turns around and buy the cheapest stuff they can find.
I prefer to rebuild over buying the who knows where made stuff.
Sad thing today is that even when you buy an item to try it out...next you buy from same company is made by another manufacturer so canīt be sure itīs same product.
I even got so tired of quality i started making my own gearbox shafts and wearsleeves for the rear axles...and you know what...the gearboxes stopped leaking with a correct sized part
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpar View Post
I know just about everyone here has complained about this but here is my Beef.
What the hell is going on with Repo stuff Verses original or NOS.
You would think with modern technology things could be manufactured a lot better than the original. The advertised fuel pumps I purchased (and others) are almost impossible to stop leaks unless you machine the ends of the inlet body. Then when look at the inlet/outlet seats what a mess. the old pumps are a lot better in quality.
What is going on, is it all about the $ or just poor quality control.
That's my Beef
Kpar
Instead of being critical of the fuel pump did you ever give a thought that the fitting being installed into the fuel pump is not correct??
Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
Lawrie

I saw both pumps in my shop, it was NOT the fitting,the machining of the seat in the pumps was RS,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

prefer to rebuild the old pumps, you can easily replace the valves, the newer pumps have pressed in valves and are very hard to replace them and as you say the seats are less than desirable--had one recently and the fitting could not screw in far enough to seat it, ended up using a o ring the make due!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Poor quality is most often the fault of the U.S. "businessman" going offshore to get the absolute cheapest price to maximize his profit. So he is actually specifying junk! Chinese and other factories build whatever the customer wants, although they can meet or beat the highest quality standards if that is what the "businessman" wants (and is willing to pay for). So poor quality repo parts are the fault of the guy on this side of the pond! (This includes the guy who only buys the cheapest stuff!)
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Talkwrench

yes its all made to a price now....
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Poor quality is most often the fault of the U.S. "businessman" going offshore to get the absolute cheapest price to maximize his profit. So he is actually specifying junk! Chinese and other factories build whatever the customer wants, although they can meet or beat the highest quality standards if that is what the "businessman" wants (and is willing to pay for). So poor quality repo parts are the fault of the guy on this side of the pond! (This includes the guy who only buys the cheapest stuff!)

This is not false. Reason made in American is overlooked sometimes too. Not true in every case and it's complicated.

It takes a village, I guess as they say.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
Kpar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I saw both pumps in my shop, it was NOT the fitting,the machining of the seat in the pumps was RS,
Lawrie
Thanks for the backup Lawrie. I've got the old pump back on and will pay you a visit with my junk & see if we can come up with a restored original unit.
Kpar
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Lawrie

OK ,we are up in rocky tomorrow for Carol
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
Dave Castle

Not true that we buy the cheapest stuff, most of the time the cheap junk is all that is available.
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
ct1932ford

Just got new rubber bumpers for my 32 five window coupe trunk. Old ones are getting hard. Well I am keeping the old ones. The new ones are so much smaller that the trunk would never hit them. How hard is that?
Old 11-07-2018, 03:16 AM   #13
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Castle View Post
Not true that we buy the cheapest stuff, most of the time the cheap junk is all that is available.
True but only because demand for the more expensive quality reproduction parts is so limited. If we were all prepared or able to pay top dollar then we would get perfect reproduction parts. There are people out there who will produce quality reproduction parts but less and less as time goes on- Demand is there but not at a price that makes it economic for them -Karl
Old 11-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #14
Kpar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
True but only because demand for the more expensive quality reproduction parts is so limited. If we were all prepared or able to pay top dollar then we would get perfect reproduction parts. There are people out there who will produce quality reproduction parts but less and less as time goes on- Demand is there but not at a price that makes it economic for them -Karl
Very true Karl, I for one will be prepared to pay for quality, it's just soo hard to get these days. What do we have to do start a massive campaign and lobby all the companies to get their act together or what ?.
Kpar
Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #15
flatheadmurre

Making parts for theese cars are difficult since the salesvolume is low compared to other stuff...i make parts for more modern stuff and order volumes are higher since the reseller will have the batch sold within a year or two.
To make a part good and fair priced you need volume...ordering even 100pcs for theese old cars need a solid reseller that can sit on the stock for years...
Making low series parts on order can be done....but since you have to tool up the machines for every order that static cost is distributed on a low number of parts giving a higher price for each item.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #16
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Making parts for theese cars are difficult since the salesvolume is low compared to other stuff...i make parts for more modern stuff and order volumes are higher since the reseller will have the batch sold within a year or two.
To make a part good and fair priced you need volume...ordering even 100pcs for these old cars need a solid reseller that can sit on the stock for years...
Making low series parts on order can be done....but since you have to tool up the machines for every order that static cost is distributed on a low number of parts giving a higher price for each item.
Some one once told me you have Quality, Price and Volume
You only get two - Most suppliers sacrifice quality in favour ( English spelling ) of price and volume -Karl
Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Thanks for writing this as you saved me time. I've been saying the same thing for years. If China can launch a rocket built with their own parts they obviously have manufacturing knowhow.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
Fortunateson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Some one once told me you have Quality, Price and Volume
You only get two - Most suppliers sacrifice quality in favour ( English spelling ) of price and volume -Karl
Not English spelling; correct spelling! LOL
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Thanks for writing this as you saved me time. I've been saying the same thing for years. If China can launch a rocket built with their own parts they obviously have manufacturing knowhow.
And remember, Harbor Freight (which so many profess to hate) is a 100% American owned company based in Calabasas, California.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #20
Kahuna

I love Harbor Freight
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #21
tubman

So do I. I think it's because I understand them for what they really are, as you seem to do, too.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote