Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Craig CT

Default Still sober & spark plug location question

Sober 13 years today. I don't do it alone and I'm not looking for a pat on the back, it's just to tell, and or remind everyone, if you or someone you know needs help, it's a phone call away from you're local phone directory. Also I haven't posted here for awhile and to my friends here I'm waaaay behind on my emails again. My friend BOB warned me years ago that these computors and internet can become a real monster so I listened and stay away from time to time. I know different sparkplug locations have been tried over the years. Because of the shape of the "L" head combustion chamber it makes sense to me to keep it as far away from the piston as possible so the flame front travels more in one direction instead of over the piston and have it push down and towards the valves at the same time. Is there some science here I'm missing? PS to my friends here a reminder if you need to reach me and I'm not responding to an email it's our home number on our website please call. Currently we have an eleven puppy litter almost a month old and doing great. I love waking up mornings instead of coming to and I love my work.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Still sober & spark plug location question

Me too, 28 years now. Had allot of help. This is a topic that can lead to allot of speculation. I moved the plug into the transfer area to reduce the flame front. This works with a tight combustion chamber (.045-.050" piston to head clearance), JWL did this in his book "Flathead facts". My plan was to run a test of a stock head against the modified head with the same CR. The Edmonds head has the blug in the center of the chamber between the two valves, allowing the use of a power tim plug and this had shown improvement in economy. However with all this said, someone would have to make an effort to "TUNE" these comparisons for accurate results. That takes time and money. Not many of us left that want to do this.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Sober 13 years today. I don't do it alone and I'm not looking for a pat on the back, it's just to tell, and or remind everyone, if you or someone you know needs help, it's a phone call away from you're local phone directory. Also I haven't posted here for awhile and to my friends here I'm waaaay behind on my emails again. My friend BOB warned me years ago that these computors and internet can become a real monster so I listened and stay away from time to time. I know different sparkplug locations have been tried over the years. Because of the shape of the "L" head combustion chamber it makes sense to me to keep it as far away from the piston as possible so the flame front travels more in one direction instead of over the piston and have it push down and towards the valves at the same time. Is there some science here I'm missing? PS to my friends here a reminder if you need to reach me and I'm not responding to an email it's our home number on our website please call. Currently we have an eleven puppy litter almost a month old and doing great. I love waking up mornings instead of coming to and I love my work.

Congratulations! You, too Ol' Ron.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
waltere

Congrats guys!! New life for a little over 18 years by grace and the big guy!
Walter
waltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
merc40

a wonderful thing. dick t. god bless you i know .
merc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Congrats to waltere, Ol' Ron, and Craig CT, I'll have 26 later this month. KISS
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
funrunr

Congrats to all of you. My mother will have 34 this April 4th.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
waltere

Small World!
waltere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
mfagan

Keep up the good work!!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
B-O-B

Congratulations guys for staying sober & a big happy St Pattys day to all of you. Craig if you are referring to me I never said thatdid I.???I miss you E-mails so get busy. We want pics of you project too or maybe three. Got a bunch of catching up to do. Must be cooling off as it is only 91 o/o as I type this. Best go do some work on the roadster. Gas tank project today. This tank has never been apart & is not giving up very easy. Had to use the B F H a couple of times just to show who rules. The sending unit looks practically brand new. There is some very minor rust so looking at the POR- 15 tank sealer after I soak it with some vinegar.
Ben D doing his thing & bringing it to warmer climes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140211_141510_676.jpg (44.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 34 last check.jpg (63.4 KB, 22 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
Congratulations guys for staying sober & a big happy St Pattys day to all of you. Craig if you are referring to me I never said thatdid I.???I miss you E-mails so get busy. We want pics of you project too or maybe three. Got a bunch of catching up to do. Must be cooling off as it is only 91 o/o as I type this. Best go do some work on the roadster. Gas tank project today. This tank has never been apart & is not giving up very easy. Had to use the B F H a couple of times just to show who rules. The sending unit looks practically brand new. There is some very minor rust so looking at the POR- 15 tank sealer after I soak it with some vinegar.
Ben D doing his thing & bringing it to warmer climes.
Hi Bob; I see that my roadster was delivered to your house again. What the heck why don't you just keep it. Also in an email you sent me on Thursday August thirteenth two thousand nine at 624PM est. you wrote "This monster can consume a lot of your time if you let it". Thanks for your post, Craig.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
tubman

Good for you guys.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Me too, 28 years now. Had allot of help. This is a topic that can lead to allot of speculation. I moved the plug into the transfer area to reduce the flame front. This works with a tight combustion chamber (.045-.050" piston to head clearance), JWL did this in his book "Flathead facts". My plan was to run a test of a stock head against the modified head with the same CR. The Edmonds head has the blug in the center of the chamber between the two valves, allowing the use of a power tim plug and this had shown improvement in economy. However with all this said, someone would have to make an effort to "TUNE" these comparisons for accurate results. That takes time and money. Not many of us left that want to do this.
Hi Ron; I knew you had a lot of years, thanks for posting it. Also thanks for mentioning JWL's book, beginning on page 59 he relocates a plug. I hope he writes another one soon. As for the Edmonds heads isn't improvement in economy improvement in efficiency? Thanks again, Craig.

Last edited by Craig CT; 03-17-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Craig CT is offline   Reply With Quote