Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Craig CT

Default Vertex magneto question

Is anyone running a Vertex on a street motor? Are you using an internal or external coil? Did you get a flathead mag. or have a Chevy converted to flathead? What did you do about the advance? Thanks, Craig.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Tim

Default Re: Vertex magneto question

I am not running a Flathead, I am running a Chevy on the street with a Magneto. If you run a locked advance you will need to be careful in your timing. If you are lucky enough to find one with advance for a Chevy or any other make besides Flathead you will need to have it curved for the Flathead. They can't handle as much as a Chevy. Chevy starts at 10-12' and goes all the way to 40' for a really radical one. Flatheads are best on about half that for total advance. But if your question is can it be done- Yep! many trouble free miles on mine. Internal coil is the way to go no muss no fuss.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The Vertex mags take a fair amount of torque to pull them through a rotation. The Fairbanks Morse takes a lot less torque to turn. Most mags were set up to run full advance with an impulse coupling to retard em for starting. You don't see them on too many street cars for that reason.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Is anyone running a Vertex on a street motor? Are you using an internal or external coil? Did you get a flathead mag. or have a Chevy converted to flathead? What did you do about the advance? Thanks, Craig.
We have built and set up quite a few for the flathead with no problems to speak of.
The vertexes are expensive but a good used Chevrolet unit is pretty easy to find and machine for the flathead.
Advance can be added to any of these mags but could very well cost $350 or so. About half the ones we have done had no advance. Doesn't seem to be a major issue on the flathead. Just set the timing at 2500-3000 rpm to be approx 20 degrees etc for a max timing, and take some care when starting the engine., toggle switch the engine and crank for a round or two before turning the mag on. They seem to run ok like this with no overheatingproblems etc..
We have also used a few with bad mag coils ( too expensive to repair) by taking the coils out for a no load mag look a like using only the vertex ignition points and a hidden ignition remote mounted coil. These also work very well.
If for no otherreason they have the look for sure....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

If you are using a 6 volt starting system the Vertex is a poor choice. They will, however, generate enough fire for starting when the engine is spun with 12 volts on the starter.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
HotRodmicky

Yes,i do
Have it setup with advance curve for a flathead and
You are fine
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote