Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Garcia

Default I guess I am a Model A person

I want to again thank all the folks who responded to my previous whining about how frustrating my new car was. Time heals all wounds, though, and after changing out the coil and condenser and blowing out the gas line, I have a car I can confidently drive around.
I am in some ways unhappy and in others happy that the car wasn't what I expected from the advertisement. I guess restored means different things to different people. I'm unhappy because I feel as if I paid too much for a car in this condition. I'll know the next time a bit more as to what to look for, such as the rusted metal (and dead mouse) under the rumble seat cushion, the paint-everything-over-the-rust undercarriage, and the screwy electrical system.
On the other hand, I'm happy because I have something to work on. Right now, I can't drive it because I'm replacing the wiring. I'll be working on the radiator hoses next, and then whatever catches my interest. I expect this car to go along the same as my 52 Buick, which would spend a week or two in the garage partially disassembled, a week or two on the road, etc.
So, there probably are people suited to owning a Model A, and I'm one of them.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Gil Sissons

Default Re: I guess I am a Model A person

Garcia nice to see you and the Model A working things out.
Pause and reflect how very fortunate you are. A vehicle many would love to have.
Skills and tools to keep it running. A roof over not only your head... but the A covered.
Enjoy the journey.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
chrs1961815

Time to enjoy your car! You are not alone, a lot of Model A'ers and other classic car guys have overpaid for their cars. I am one of them!!! You live and learn.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Bob C

Here is a link to an excellent article with lots of pictures on wiring
the Model A.
https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...ex%20Janke.pdf
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
nkaminar

Glad you sorted the major things out and have some enjoyable work to do on the car. I enjoy working on my car as much as driving it. As far as paying too much, you could go back to the seller and ask for a partial refund, in the dollar amount of repairs you have had to do. I have no idea what the Model A market will do but history says that the dollar value of your car will increase. Back in the early 1970's I picked up a nice 1930 Tudor for $150, which would be about $1,500 in today's dollars. It was an untouched original.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Brentwood Bob

Day to day is a philosophy I follow. Sounds like you like to both drive, and work on your cars. What a lucky guy!
Good to fill the passenger seat too. Notice how many positive reactions you get just going to the gas station. Had a friend get distracted and pull the hose off the gas pump across the island from me when I went for gas. That was funny!
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
jayvee34

Congratulations on your decision, I too paid to much for my car, but enjoy working on it
and being able to drive it. I get a lot of self satisfaction out of the work I have done on
my car, and am sure you will too!

As far as going back to the seller for some re-imbursement on parts and labor, waste of
time and effort.

Best wishes
Old 07-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
Rob Doe

Nice going Garcia.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
warrene

Take heart, it IS a Model A so relax, a car that most anybody can fix. Got my '29 Town Sedan two years ago, not running, BAD wiring and more, I paid 4100. I've since rewired 100%, I use all black automotive wire, I solder everything, all connection eyelets etc.
Lots of guys would give anything just to own one, you have one so enjoy, sounds like you have it in hand, keep at it and all will fall into place.
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #10
ETAModel

I am very glad to see you are getting your A issues resolved and didn't do something rash like sell her. I have had issues with old vehicles and tractors before, and it can be so frustrating.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
gdmn852

Hello,Glad to see you have changed your mind, we can always use a another Model A owner. I also have a 1949 Buick Super, one nice thing with Fords is part availability,had to hunt for ring and pinion for the 49 .As far as overpaid for cars I might be the “poster boy” for that ,the 31 Ford I recently bought was supposed to be an older restoration but from working on it,was just an older paint job.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Cape Codder

I guess I have had my downs also with my car this past year in the way of paying toooooo much for a repair. I had two axles repaired????? as in bringing the King Pin holes back to spec. I asked at least twice how much this repair would cost but was told he would have to figure it out. So with that I left them for repair as I was unable to find a suitable axle. After waiting six weeks, making several calls to ask how the progress was coming, I always asked how much was this going to cost, to hear I need to figure it out, I was told they were ready for pickup. When I went to pick them up I was given the bill which was NORTH of $1,000! I was STUNNED and when I said he was S_ _ _ _ ing me he lowered the price by a $100. I tried the king pins, which I had left and they would go in from both sides, BUT not all the way through. When I asked what was up with that I was told you have to DRIVE them in with a hammer!

In hind site what I should have done was told him I wouldn't take them NOR pay for the work BUT I didn't. Now they at another Local shop getting the holes cleaned out!

When I first bought my car I thought it was a fair price for what it is BUT I think this was way beyond GETTING TOOK!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
dlfrisch

Hello, Garcia - I bought a 1928 Sport Coupe. Payed to much for it, but it was not in too bad of condition. I slowly started analyzing things that could be upgraded…..project after project, I ended up totally disassembling the whole vehicle and started rebuilding things. Between me, my wife and the body shop, have all accomplished a neat restoration - It has been a very high $ dollar after $ dollar investment, but it has been a very knowledgeable, exiting and satisfactual experience to see and build this car back to factory.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
Jim M

I paid too much for mine as well. But I wouldn't part with it for 5 times what I paid! I drive it to the grocery store every day and EVERYONE waves at me as I putt down the street. Enjoy it!!!!!!!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

If you “ restore” or “repair” the assemblies on a model A correctly, with good workmanship, they are a good reliable car that seldom gives you trouble. Many cars I see break down on tours, have hob cobbled parts and workmanship ect.
I’m sorry you paid too much for what you got. Unfortunately, that’s a too common occurrence.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
Greg Jones

Keep after it as long as you enjoying making the old beast better. As far as paying too much, I am sure I am the undisputed king of paying too much. Of course, I know a guy that regularly gambles away thousands of dollars with not much to show. I use that in my justification....at least I have a Model A. I just finished up CORRECTLY wiring my 30 Model A which was goobered up with homemade turn signals, kill switch, and Lord knows what else was in that wiring mess. Feels good to have it right and look neat and clean. Good luck!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #17
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Thank God Model A s are a hobby. That means you can spend what you want to on them.
I am currently re-babbitting my engine. Dad taught me how to do it and just working on it brings back a lot of great memories. The number one rule for Model A Fords is HAVE FUN.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #18
Ed in Maine

Hello Garcia, we all spend too much on our hobby. Its because we buy what we like and we are motivated to an extreme at the moment of purchase. We are also dedicated to the hobby and do not give up when things don't go just right. But after a while we find ourselves behind the wheel and everyone we drive by smiles and we know we made the right choice. I too purchased a nice looking Victoria which turned out to have a bad head gasket, some paint defects, doors that don't quite hang right and an inside switch for the over head dome light that was covered over with the headliner by the folks who put in the upholstery. But, it was the correct paint colors and twin side mounts that sealed the deal! Now, like you, I enjoy a very reliable nice looking car. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote