Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: Biggest scare in a Model A

Last edited by Pete; 10-19-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #22
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
We just went through that tunnel in Zion, I bet you were nervous, I would have been.

We were more than nervous. My wife was watching the right side and telling me I was too close and I was trying to see the center line. Somewhat scared defines it.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
al's28/33

We love them and if we take care of them they will give us many hours of fun and enjoyment. I have had numerous instances when people see me coming and still wait till the very last minute to pull out in front of me or bicyclists that think sharing the road means I need to drive at 8 MPH while they can ride tandem across two lanes of traffic. AHOOOOGA!!!! and everyone clears a path.
JUST BE SAFE and don't put yourself in a bad situation. No dark and rainy nights.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #24
RUNNERBUN

I lost my left front wheel while doing 45mph. I survived the wild ride, unhurt but badly shaken. My wife often asks me now (have you checked your nuts lately)
Old 10-14-2019, 03:53 AM   #25
Apperloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Scariest moment I've had was this past June coming home at night I hit a deer. I had just switched from LED bulbs back to the 50/32s and hadn't readjusted the height of the beam so it was low... if I had adjusted the lights I probably would have had enough time to slow down and go around the deer but as it sat I took one out at 25MPH. No damage to the car other than some fur on the bumper but you can rest assured that the second I got home those lights got adusted...
Why did you go back from led I ask?
Old 10-14-2019, 03:54 AM   #26
Dodge

I’ve had two in 53 yrs. of driving them. One was in my Model T Speedster driving down a two lane highway at about 45 miles an hour. On my right a girl in a Mustang pulled out of a driveway and way half way across the road when she saw me and stopped in the road.
Luckily she had pulled out her driveway far enough and it was wide enough I went right
behind her kind of cross ways into a field on their property. She even left the car in the road when she came over to check on me.

The second one was in my 1919 Cadillac. I was driving down a 4 lane road near our house
and was coming up to a traffic controlled intersection. There was a car in the left lane about
A car length ahead of me when a soccer Mom in her mini van came up behind him and
swerved over in to my lane just barely having enough room, you guessed it the light started
To turn Yellow, instead of going thru it she slammed on her brakes to stop.
I stopped that 4800 lb. car with rear wheel brakes about two inches off her rear end.
I was pretty pissed so I got out and took her keys out of the ignition and thru them over the fence and into the tennis court of the school there. Then I proceeded to ream her a new one.
I drove off and left her hunting for her keys.
I didn’t do much for old car public relations that day, but I felt better.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #27
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apperloo View Post
Why did you go back from led I ask?

They just didn't cut it in my opinion. Bright but unfocused and even with a dedicated ground I would get flickering and occasionally a light would cutout completely. Never had that problem with incandescents. With the new Brattons reflectors, the 50/32 bulbs put out plenty of light in my opinion.

Also, while nothing scary happened, I recently drove 70 miles home in the dark rain and fog with those 50/32s and original electric wiper going all the way. It was a stressful drive but with properly functioning equipment I don't feel it was dangerous.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
We were more than nervous. My wife was watching the right side and telling me I was too close and I was trying to see the center line. Somewhat scared defines it.

I had a similar experience going through the Smokies at night, albeit in a more modern ride. Ran into fog so thick I couldn't see the end of the hood - no place to pull over and couldn't see it if there was. So I had to hold the door open to drive by the center line...SLOWLY! To top it all off, I hadn't had my license very long and was inexperienced - at least there were no other fools out.

That Zion tunnel can be scary but it's worth it - the place is beautiful.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 10-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #29
woofa.express

At the national rally. Driving back to our rented house I was close to being collected from behind. Next day I purchased a large quality reflective sticker for the rear tail gate and rear mudgards. When I got home I purchased a pulsating red light like cyclests use. Even so I endevour not to drive at night.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #30
Swingle

Was headed south on I-41, close to the EAA grounds in Oshkosh WI, in my '29 Tudor. Felt a very little, slightly sideway jiggle, that came from the back of the Model A, and wondered what that was. Next thing I saw was a newly powder-coated Model A Rim and Tire passing me on the left.

Sounds stupid, but I remember thinking "Where did that come from?".

All this time, I was running on 3 wheels. Realizing that the tire free-wheeling down the road was mine, I slammed on the brakes, and headed for the shoulder. At the sudden reduction of forward motion, the rear end dropped to the ground as the car just managed to barely clear the fog line.

Meanwhile, I was watching my tire bounce south-ward down the divided highway, drifting left as it went. Each bounce was a little bigger than the bounce before. It finally edged into the center median/ditch, and picked up even higher bounces as it came out of the center ditch in the median. My big fear was that it would take a car out, or even worse, a person or persons.

I walked over a mile down the road, and found my tire on the shoulder on the north-bound side of traffic. Walked it back to my Tudor, and quickly realized that a Model A jack is designed to lift a car with a flat tire, not lift a car that is missing the wheel. The jack was too tall. I ended up putting the jack under the axle where it would fit, by the banjo, jack it up high enough so i could put my toolbox under backing plate, so I could reposition the jack actually get the rim back on the car.

Now I am missing 5 lug nuts. Original plan was to borrow one from each of the other wheels and limp to a parts store. A Good Samaritan was nice enough to stop, ask if I needed anything, and ran to the store to get some for me.

When I got back on the road, I got off the freeway, and took the highway the rest of the way home in Menomonee Falls. Do not think I took the car above 35 mph for the remaining 70 mile road home.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #31
bdtutton

There are a lot of scary stories in this thread. There seem to be some common things that have some reasonable solutions to prevent them from happening to others....

1. Wheels coming off....check your nuts boys...well I guess girls too.
2. Driving in the rain at night.....This is dangerous..even in a modern car.
3. Brake failures....Check your brakes often...
4. Night driving....I upgraded to 6v LED lights...almost as good as my modern car.
5. Not being seen by other drivers....I drive with my bright 6v LED headlights on during the day and I have LED tail lights and a third brake light in my back window. My LED tail lights are brighter than the tail lights on my modern car.
6. Highway driving...stay off the highways...

I am sure there are several that I am missing....
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
Chris in WNC

A bright Sunday morning in 2008, enroute from Florida to the MARC/MAFCA meet in Dallas in our unrestored '31 Tudor.
Rolling through Shreveport LA on I-20, one of those stretches where the old US highway joins the interstate for a while.
Three lanes of traffic, I'm in the center lane at about 55MPH.
Suddenly about 50-75 yards ahead I spot a long 6"x6" timber laying across my lane. Looked like the ones truckers carry under their flatbed trailers.
Vehicles in both other lanes made changing lanes impossible.
In the few seconds before impact, a few of the unpleasant possibilities flashed through my mind, but all I could do was take my foot off the gas and grip the steering wheel tighter.
My two right wheels went over it "blump-blump", but it felt like the timber was only about 3/4" tall and I experienced no loss of control.
First opportunity to get off the road was at the Texas welcome center a few miles later, where I checked out the wheels and tires for any problems and there were none.
Was very glad I had just put on a new set of Goodyear tires for the trip.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
Ray in La Mesa

1963, new to me '30 fordor. Backing down a long, straight hill, my brakes wouldn't hold it. Ended up swerving into a pine tree at 30 mph, seat brackets broke & I ended up the back seat. Wrapped the rear spare around the tree & left the hubcap embedded in the bark. Set the seat up & pulled away from the tree and inspected the damage, whole rear panel pushed in & rear doors hanging askew-- I cried, my first car! This started my adventure in Model A restoration & still at it.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Interesting thread

I'm more scared now to even leave town! Been getting gun shy about driving the Model A on the local 55 MPH highways. There are way too many people anymore, too distracted. Even driving a modern car isn't getting to be much fun anymore. The fun factor is decreasing especially for antique cars.

My most recent experience. Last fall I was driving the Roadster here IN TOWN (we live in a small farming community) I was on a stretch of road posted at 30 MPH with double yellow lines on a curve and a slight hill. I slowed down to turn left and had been signalling a turn for 200 feet and at the last moment I caught a glimpse of some idiot passing me on the left, going like a bat out of hell. I swerved back to the right and he narrowly missed me by inches. He was bookin' man that guy was flying. I'd guess easily 65-70. All I saw was a set of Iowa license plates disappearing down the road and his middle finger waving at me out of his driver's side window. My fault ?? Dip-wad. That would have been the end of the Roadster and probably me too.

Forget driving at nite or in the rain I haven't done that since 1972.And it wasn't a good thing back then.

Another close call just yesterday, again here in town. 40 MPH limit double yellow lines heading out of town in another direction. 2 lane highway. Large hill looming ahead. In my F-150, I was stopped to turn left against oncoming traffic. Another newer Ford pickup was behind me and two cars behind him, all stopped. I hear this commotion just in time to see some 18 year old something girl flying I mean FLYING around us on the shoulder heading in the same direction we were, rocks and stuff going every which way, she smashed into the curb just ahead of me and turned the stupid car sideways in the road. The oncoming traffic was swerving to get out of her way. When she got stopped her eyes were as big as Morgan silver dollars staring out of her window and (hang on are you ready, you will be shocked) her cell phone grasped tightly in her right hand in front of her face. Evidently she was bookin' down the road texting and came up on us and was trying to keep from rear ending the line of cars.

It's only a matter of time one of us on here is going to get it.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 10-15-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #35
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
It's only a matter of time one of us on here is going to get it.

Sadly, I'm sure you're right... defensive driving can only get you so far

Had a very close call on the way back from Rochester two weeks ago. On I-90 eastbound in the right lane going 70 and some guy comes flying up on my tail in a Honda Odyssey. I figured we were getting rear ended but he swings into the breakdown lane and just keeps booking it, probably 90-95. I then watch him swerve back across the road into the left lane and keep swerving around everybody and the road was busy... I was sure we were going to pass him wrapped around some other poor car but it never happened.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #36
burner31

Before I got my turn signals installed...
I put my hand out to signal a left turn at a stop sign, the car on the other side waved at me and came thru the stop sign and damn near center punched my car, but he was all smiles and waved again.
Put my turn signals on that week-end.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #37
ericr

this is a very frightening thread but valuable to us Model "A" owners. Driving in an urban area even in a modern car is stressful, with the advent of SUVs and dark windows in passenger cars that you can't see through or around; and these blinding blue-white lights on some new cars; and millennial drivers in general

Incidentally, my father, who was a young man in the Model "A" era, once said that in heavy rains back then, drivers often just pulled over and waited it out...but that was a different, calmer era, of course.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
kooljunkguy

I've had 2 experiences that weren't scary for me, but rather my neighbors! Haha

Once, I was starting my grandparents Tudor after doing a little maintenance and BAM! it backfired in my driveway, all my neighbors came out and made sure I was ok! Sounded like a gun shot.

Another time, (with the same Tudor) I was coming around my neighborhood when I heard the sound of metal parts pinging on the road. I thought it was suspicious but I was only about 500ft from my house so I thought I'd just pull up to my house then walk and go check what fell. As I swung around my cult de sac to pull up to my house, BAM! the drivers rear wheel fell off... and once again all my neighbors came out to make sure I was ok.. it was the lug nuts that fell off...
At least I'm glad to know that I have good neighbors!
kooljunkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #39
Russ/40

My scariest experience was my first Model A drive. I was shopping for an A and was sent on my way down a long and steep driveway by the owner. It scared the sxxt out of me as i came to the roadway and almost rolled the car. I remember it ran strong with a B motor. For whatever reason the owner felt no obligation to caution me.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #40
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this is a very frightening thread but valuable to us Model "A" owners. Driving in an urban area even in a modern car is stressful, with the advent of SUVs and dark windows in passenger cars that you can't see through or around;

I often think about that driving my girlfriends Equinox, such poor visibility... The massive A pillars mean you'll probably be okay in a crash but they also mean you won't see the crash coming.