Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Wick

Default Another A comes out of Hiding

Car was sitting in a shed out in the boonies in Mathews. Owner bought the car when he was 16 in 1963. He restored it,then let it sit. Got tired of looking at it,wanted to pass the Pain on to someone else. Said he never wanted to see another Model A for as long as he lived!
Shes in good hands now.
Wick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0429111833[1].jpg (38.5 KB, 480 views)
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
ratamahata

Default Re: Another A comes out of Hiding

Congratulations! Is a great looking car!!
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Richard Wilson

Way to go Wick. You are always bringing home some neat stuff.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Elcastor

Very nice!
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Nice looking car, but I'm wondering why the owner restored it, then didn't drive it and said he never wanted to see another Model A?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Nice looking car, but I'm wondering why the owner restored it, then didn't drive it and said he never wanted to see another Model A?
I have said this many times here before but maybe it bears repeating again. To some folks, driving a Model A is not fun or thrilling. To some, it is just the process of "restoring" or working on it that intrigues them. Matter of fact, in some ways I am like that. I enjoy driving a Model A for about 15-20 minutes and then I become 'bored' unless I am with a group of people I enjoy hanging out with. For the matter of the individual that just sold this car, maybe he remembers a bad experience that is associated with the car and he stereotypes all Model A's. The more we know about human minds, the more it proves they are very peculiar.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

Mongo LIKE !
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
To some folks, driving a Model A is not fun or thrilling. ......The more we know about human minds, the more it proves they are very peculiar.
First I'll start by saying all general statements are false (including this and the others statements I'm going to make).

I've also noticed that the people that like to drive like to do it as little as possible. They seem to want to get from point A to B as fast as possible. Put more juice in the engine, add overdrive etc. etc. with the sole purpose of going faster. (yes I know some feel that all is needed for safety. Read my first statement) Faster equates with less time under the wheel for a set route. Do they enjoy driving or getting ther faster?

Some say the modifications are for reliablity. How many distinctly remember driving to work today? or the any day? I don't, because nothing unusual happened. I do remeber my last flat. My last breakdown. Those are the stories I like to tell (and therefore everyone tells..see first statement). Most of us have driven long distances...and don't remeber it. We remember the sites...the destinations...the people..the breakdowns. How many Model A stories are about the drive? How many are about the problems? If the memorable parts are the problems...why remove them?

To each his own. Some like to drive, some restore, some search knowledge, some just do it from the armchair. All is what is most important and most fun...to them.

My point? Other than the one on the top of my head..don't really have one.
Go do what you enjoy...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
kelley's restoration

nice find
i agree with you brent
my dads car was restored 10 years ago. i bet he put 200 miles on it. Now that it resides at my house i put about 50 on it a week at least
tk
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Jason in TX

Congrats Wick!

Interesting points brought up here. I really enjoy the driving part of owning a Model A.

Don't get me wrong about the repair part though. I can happily spend 5 hours sanding or polishing a single part and my wife thinks I'm nuts. I do all my own work, body work, engine repair, brakes, welding, etc, but it's REALLY hard for me to disassemble a running car because I can't drive it any more.

I know other people that take every bolt apart and have no problem with it, but I try to repair small areas and get it back together as quick as possible so that I don't miss out on another weekend drive.

I guess that is why I have three of them! haha. Need to keep one running at all times while the other two are under the knife.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
MrTube

I don't know, I think I can agree to some extent. I like building audio equipment more then I like listening to music. I often enjoy building a new computer more then playing games on it.

Driving a model A is ok to me but I do like working on it more.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Chris Haynes

As I approach my 70's I want everything on my AA to work properly and easily. If that means a later steering box and upgraded engine components then so be it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

When I rebuilt my Huckster a couple of years ago, I caught H*** from my wife about doing it so fast. She wanted me to take a long time so I could keep busy with something. But being above 70, I told her I wanted to get it done so that the project would not outlast me. I just didn't want someone to have to pick up all the parts and have to do something with them.

Getting the Huckster project done, I had much time on my hands. Also being a Huckster is not a "true" model Model A, I felt I had to do something about that and the fact I had time on my hands. Plus the fact members of our club have not only one Model A but a number of Model A's. So I just had to go out and get another Model A. This time a complete 1929 Model A coupe. (I posted stuff on it before on the Barn).

Sounds like I may fit in the catagory of the person that wants to work on or own Model A's. Now with two in the family, it will take a lot of driving to work both of them.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Pa Joe

Brent , that was well said. After about an an hour, I cant wait to get out of the car. But, I get a lot of satisfaction and a feeling of acomplishment restoring old cars. My biggest problem is very seldom (unless your in the business) do you get back the tons of money you spent restoring the car. But I keep doing it over and over again. Gets in your blood. Friends say I'm nuts
Pa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
shooter54

Very cool. Nothing like pulling an ol girl out from the tomb and bringing her back to life.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
brum1

My own pattern follows the New England weather ; drive the tires off in the summer & restore in the winter
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
Wick

When Isabell came thru a few years ago this car got wet.You can still see the waterline on it. The fellow replaced the Transmission and rear because they were under Salt Water. The engine has a B crank in it. Will probley drive it this weekend.
Wick
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
JeffM

Wick, thats a neat find.
Im finding im loving working on my A, and some time ago worried that once its done, i wouldnt like driving it.
Ive never drivin an A, but ive realised that ive always loved operating any type of machinery, and i got my truck licence in an old RL Bedford army truck.
Most hated driving that big ol thing, but i loved it to bits.
Im not one for going fast, just enjoy making a machine work.
Enjoy your new car, its all about the experiance.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Roadster62

Nice find Wick, my Grandfather bought a twin to that car new. You can add me to the list of people that haven't had a restored car on the road in years. It is real easy to let the plates run out, and after two years go by you remember that was 12 years ago. Now the cost of plates and insurance are added to the cost of new tires and whatever else the vehicle needs, funds that are better spent on the current restoration/build.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #20
Wick

I get a thrill everytime I go for a drive,listen to the horn,dogs chasin ya...and folks wavein,thumbs up! Come to a stop and listen to the puc-a-dh-puc. Its fun letting the kids drive me around too! Im in the process of replaceing the top on the 30 pickup this week. My son has been painting the wood on the Speedster,and learning to adjust the timing and points (hes 27)
4 more A's on the list 2 in a storage building,1 in a shed and another under a Tarp 100 miles away. The 1 under the tarp im told says 1927 on the paper work?
Wick