Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
fred93

Default Help!--need some interior photos of 29 Tudor

Help--I need some clear photos of the finished interior upholstery panels for a 29 Tudor. Especially need photos of the upper front corners where the header panel over the windshield meets the side panels that are over the doors and side quarter windows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020.01.26 TEST FITTING INTERIOR PANELS labeled(3).jpg (70.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
Forddan

Default Re: Help!--need some interior photos of 29 Tudor

Something like this?

I had this in my phone. I can take more pictures tomorrow. 1929 Tudor

Best
Daniel
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:41 AM   #3
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
Something like this?

I had this in my phone. I can take more pictures tomorrow. 1929 Tudor

Best
Daniel
That's great--but I really need to see how everything fits together in the corner where the panel above the windshield meets the panel above the door. Need to know which one fits over the other? Plus the metal trim piece on the side of the windshield--how does it fit in the corner-does it go over the panels at the top area?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Forddan

Here you go. These are pictures of the sections you pointed in your picture. I hope it helps.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Forddan

These 2 are from the driver side:

Old 01-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
Gary Karr

Here are some more pictures. Hope they help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3002.jpg (35.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3003.jpg (37.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3004.jpg (28.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3007.jpg (30.6 KB, 57 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
These 2 are from the driver side:

Thanks--these pixs are great--they show just what I was looking for. From what I see in these pixs and what I have looked at on the parts that I have--please correct me if I am not right.

#1--Install windlace and windlace retainer to A pillar.

#2--Install left & right vertical metal windshield garnish moldings.

#3--Install upper upholstery panel (long narrow piece that goes above door and quarter window)

#4--Install header panel above windshield (not sure which panel overlaps the other panel--I have pictures that show both ways--anyone know which is correct?

Of course the more questions that get answered the more questions I have. Since the interior was all removed before I started work on the car I have nothing to go by!

I have been playing with the wind lace that goes on the A pillar (I guess it is called the A pillar) and I have found that the wind lace as it was purchased from LB seems to have a wider "selvage" than the wide of the metal retainer. See photos attached. Does that selvage need to be trimmed???

Also--the wind lace has been rolled up for years. Anyone have any ideas of how to straighten it??? I was thinking if tacking it to a piece of wood and set a heat lamp over it! I also thought of putting an aluminum rod in the center of the plastic/rubber core.

When I go to install the wind lace should I spot glue it to hold it in place. How do I make the holes for the rivets??? What a PITA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Labeled windlace.jpg (58.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg windlace labeled.jpg (65.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Here are some more pictures. Hope they help.
Thanks Gary--photos are very helpful. Please check the reply to Forddan as I would like your thoughts as well.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
Forddan

I am happy that the pictures are helping. Unfortunately the car was restored by a previous owner so I do not have idea how things go. Moreover, I learned from your pictures how it looks unfinished.

I am sure you will get all the help you need from the forum members. They are all great !!.

Best
Daniel
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #10
Bill G

Fred:

I am in the same boat in many respects, and I have just ordered my kit from Classtique but I won't have it for a few more weeks. The instructions I have seen say to install the side headers before the windshield header panel, which means that the edge of the side panels go under the overlapping windshield header. I believe the pictures from Gary Karr show that relationship. I believe Gary's is a fine point winner, so I would probably trust that his is as good as they come.

I don't know the answer to your windlace question, but I will probably be facing the same issue soon enough. Therefore, I am eager to see what others have to say.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Bill and Fred93 and other interested parties,

I think I have a piece of original windlace material showing the assembly. I do not think you want the tubed "seen" portion loosey goosey but somewhat taunt.

I have A/B pillar sections of the windlace and that above the door also...Kind of neat for examples.

One thing to note on the windlace assembly and this is important...There is sewn to the windlace, a small strip of cardboard running the full length of the windlace itself for the A(front)/B(rear) Pillar attachment. It fits within the metal strip seen in post #7. ( I will get original measurements of this cardboard peice in the morning). This strip of cardboard should be attached before putting the metal strip on (A Pillar only for metal strip...that is the front or the cowl edge of the door). Unlike as seen in post #7 where there is no cardboard strip seen. Once the cardboard strip is correctly sewn onto the windlace...Yes, it should be trimed so as not to protrude from the metal strip when installed onto the A pillar.

I used an ice pick to make the holes for the rivets. Originally, I think if I remember right, the rivets were tubelar in shape...At the time I had no tube rivets so I used split rivets with the correct looking head. (Do not tell the purists that or I will be in trouble!). NO GLUE IS NEEDED IN THIS ASSEMBLY IF DONE CORRECTLY.

Not sure if the reproduction rubber tubing is the same size as the original one gets today in those kits...something tells me the new tubing is larger than that of the original tubing but could be wrong.

As you can see from the article...the original tubing started out as 3/4 inch diameter BUT was reduced down 3/8 inch diameter.

Study this research study on the windlace in a 28-29 Tudor I did a few years ago...It may be of some help to some of you...And for some...Maybe not!

http://plucks329s.org/studies/windla...mystholes.html

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-04-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
Dan Partain

I'm posting these photos for Pluck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0699 (800x598).jpg (275.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0701 (800x598).jpg (261.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0703 (800x598).jpg (190.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0704 (800x598).jpg (175.6 KB, 32 views)
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
Gary Karr

In addition to what Steve has provided, you do not want any selvage to hang out beyond your moldings. You can trim it and if you are worried about it coming apart and fraying, you can simply use a liquid white glue on the edge, which will keep it together. For your holes, simply use a hole punch that has the wheel with multiple sizes. These should be available at most hardware stores.
Now, regarding the side and header panels, after you install the windlace and your vertical windshield moldings, you will want to install the above windshield header panel. This panel, when put into place will help you position and tighten the headliner from front to back. You will want to do some pre-fitting of all of your upper panels against the headliner before you set the tacks completely so that you can tighten and loosen the headlining material. When you then put the upper panels into place, the headliner will then be smooth and uniformly tight all the way around. You will see that when you put the front upper header into place it will pull the headliner and tighten it. After you get the headliner where you want it front to back, you can install the upper side panels and similarly tighten the headliner side to side. It takes time but not impossible to do.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Thanks Dan for adding the photos.

Thanks Gary for adding to the assembly.

To add to this story or assembly...concerning the cardboard strip between the metal garnish strip and the windlace (A Cowl Pillar)...It is approximatly 1/2 inches wide and 1/16 inches thick and however long the metal strip is. it is sewn onto the windlace. When assembling to the pillar, work your way UPWARDS thus trimming off excess length at the top but leave enough for tacking at the top.

As far as the B Pillar is concerned...THERE IS NO CARDBOARD STRIP ON THIS PIECE.

However you want to make sure to sew the best you can right up to the rounded rubber tubing...two lines of thread about 1/2 inch apart.

The original BLACK tubing measures 0.375...Just a little under 3/8 of an inch...This may have shrunk over the coarce of 90 years or so...see the article I did in the above post #11.

Now as far as the windlace assembly above the doors...ORIGINALLY the windlace was covered over a special moulded piece of rubber. No sewn threads seen on these two parts that I have which came of either a 28-29 Tudor or Coupe.

Bill...I am going to let you borrow this piece tonight at the meeting and if you could take a photo of it and put it on here I would appreciate it.

To replicate this assembly...one might just sew cardboard to the windlace so it fits nicely above the door. It is not tacked anywhere except on the ends as it slips between the upper door garnish and the metal roof rail.

The two long pillar strips of windlace are attached first followed by the upper door windlace assembly.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-04-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #15
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Partain View Post
I'm posting these photos for Pluck.
Thanks for posting the photos Dan. They are very helpful. I wish that the Tudor that I am working on was complete instead of all the interior panels & parts in a box.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
fred93

WOW! You guys are great!!! As of right now I think you have answered all of my questions and then some!

Just for kicks I made a cross section drawing of the "A" pillar wind lace parts. I hope I got it right!

I also posted a photo of the mystery hole for Steve Plucker--Thank you all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windlace cross section.jpg (17.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mystery hole.jpg (28.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #17
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Bill...I am going to let you borrow this piece tonight at the meeting and if you could take a photo of it and put it on here I would appreciate it.
Pluck
OK, I hope these pictures show well. Being so slender and long, it doesn't make for very good photos.

-Bill G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windlace 1.jpg (19.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Windlace 2.jpg (21.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Windlace 3.jpg (20.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Windlace 4.jpg (18.9 KB, 21 views)
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Thanks Bill for posting the windlace and rubber assembly that goes above the doors on the Tudor and Coupes.

Pluck
Old 02-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #19
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
OK, I hope these pictures show well. Being so slender and long, it doesn't make for very good photos.

-Bill G.
Thanks for the post Bill

Is that rubber piece preformed into a 90* angle? Or is the rubber piece just flat and glued to the fabric?

And is the rubber sewn in between the two pieces of wind lace fabric?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #20
fred93

One thing that flashed through my brain was--if I use a cardboard strip sewn onto wind lace what will happen if the cardboard gets wet?

I know the car will not be out in bad weather but when it gets washed that cardboard could get wet.