Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Afordman31

Default Re: High cost of licensing a Model A

Michigan antique plate $37.00 for 10 years, but the state also charges $39.00 per antique car each year with historic plate when you insure the car.
If you don't keep the insurance on the vehicle you are supposed to turn in the plate. Afordman31

Last edited by Afordman31; 11-24-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added a couple of words to sentence
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
Keith True

Joe,you must be getting your plates through the town clerk instead of going through the DMV.It avoids going to the DMV,but you pay fees for it.I just renewed 4 antiques,they were $15.per month each.The town part was $9.each,and the state part $6.each.The state bases it on 50 cents per month.I added two new registrations,it was still $15.total each.Most towns are now plate outlets for the state,but they all have varying fees to do it.There are no plate fees through the state.Depending where you are it can save you a lot of time.I'm in Epping,one mile from the registry.No tax,(well,the town tax that is in the $9).YOM plates are free.Just show them the plate,they record it,and hand you a hand written certificate saying you can use it.I don't know if you are aware of it,but no inspection is required when the vehicle reaches 60 years of age.Unless the word has gotten out most police officers will tell you that the inspection law says pre-49 is exempt.Most are unaware that the law was amended to set the age at 60 years and moves up every year.I have the amendment printed out and carry it to show.The state website is horrible to navigate,there are lots of laws that are couched in other voted in blocks that are hard to find.Seat belts aren't required for kids either,but the year cutoff for that has bounced between 1966 and 1968.Most seemed unaware of that too,so I carry a copy of the seatbelt law with me.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #23
ronn

In New Jersey one time tag 28.58 New Jersey is not a creep state good luck

Billwill-I am paying 46. one time- do they give you some sort of discount in Cape May.......?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #24
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Joe,you must be getting your plates through the town clerk instead of going through the DMV.It avoids going to the DMV,but you pay fees for it.I just renewed 4 antiques,they were $15.per month each.The town part was $9.each,and the state part $6.each.The state bases it on 50 cents per month.I added two new registrations,it was still $15.total each.Most towns are now plate outlets for the state,but they all have varying fees to do it.There are no plate fees through the state.Depending where you are it can save you a lot of time.I'm in Epping,one mile from the registry.No tax,(well,the town tax that is in the $9).YOM plates are free.Just show them the plate,they record it,and hand you a hand written certificate saying you can use it.I don't know if you are aware of it,but no inspection is required when the vehicle reaches 60 years of age.Unless the word has gotten out most police officers will tell you that the inspection law says pre-49 is exempt.Most are unaware that the law was amended to set the age at 60 years and moves up every year.I have the amendment printed out and carry it to show.The state website is horrible to navigate,there are lots of laws that are couched in other voted in blocks that are hard to find.Seat belts aren't required for kids either,but the year cutoff for that has bounced between 1966 and 1968.Most seemed unaware of that too,so I carry a copy of the seatbelt law with me.
Mostly the wife has done the town plate stuff, so yes.

I still have my Antique Auto NH plate from 10 years ago. I suppose that one might be used now and save the plate fee. I've been looking over Ebay to see about buying a 1929 pair of NH plates. Christmas is not far away!

The 60 year exemption makes sense: the last time I showed up at Sullivan Tire for my annual inspection, the tire jockey was seeking guidance from the manager on HOW EXACTLY to do an inspection on a car with mechanical brakes.

"Just put the sticker on and don't worry about it" the manager says to him in a hushed voice.

I'm sure the environmental inspection was done to the same high level of quality.

If you can scan those two printouts (red above) you give the fine officers, I would appreciate your effort to send them to me. It's been 10 years since the Model A has been on the road (gosh time FLIES when you're not having fun also - maybe fun or not fun makes no difference?)

I'll send you a PM with my Email addy.

Joe K
Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
It has tripled here in Alaska in the last few years on Historic Vehicle plates.

Up to $15.00 for a permanent plate and registration, Titles are also up to $15.00.

Most modern everyday vehicles are $100.00 for a 2 year registration.

This is online, if available, it will cost you an extra $10.00 if you show up at DMV to see a smiling face.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Temps are rising up to +7

At least you can walk out of the DMV with a title when doing a transfer. I've never lived anywhere else that printed the new title on the spot.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #26
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Bill, does that mean you are issued new plates every 5 years??
No, you keep the same plate and you are issued a date sticker every 5 years. All Horseless Carriage plates expire at the same time.
YOM plates follow the same

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
Keith True

I have the RSA for the inspection amendment,it is,RSA 266:62-A.It takes me hours to make my was around the state laws online.Then,to top it all off,at the bottom of the pages it tells you the online version is a guide,and to refer to the bound versions for the whole and in-effect laws.The tire shop is after your money,if you tell them you want an inspection they feel who are they to say no?We don't have any environmental inspection,the closest thing we have is the OBD plug in for 1996 and up cars and trucks under 8800 GVW.They may be calling it environmental inspection,it sounds important and a lot of people like the sound of it.Besides,it is a good excuse to peel some more money out of your pocket.Sullivan is no worse than any other chain automotive shop,they exist to part you with every penny they possibly can short of robbery.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #28
Franchise_24

Ohio has historical plates you can get that are good for 50 years. I forget how much again, I was thinking around $40.00
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #29
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wendell View Post
Moan and groan all you want, I wish I could pay $12.67 a year. MY '53 F100 cost me $110.00 this year.
Just paid $130.00 for YOM plates for my Model A.

Ed
The groaning was in jest, and actually it is $12.67 for 5 years.
I king of figured there woul be more disparity than there is.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #30
marc hildebrant

Minnesota has a one time charge for pioneer plates. I think I spent $25.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
barkleydave

KY 60 bucks one time. (renew annually so tax is paid!)
Dig is the personal property tax.
My MGA was .61 cents! went up to 27 bucks in one year!
Not sure what the A will be
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #32
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Illinois has two categories, Antique Vehicle, $6.00 a year or Extended Antique Vehicle, $51.00 a year. Difference is the months and reasons when your can drive on the roads. AV is for driving to and from gas stations, to and from events or shows only, year round. EAV has those same restrictions from 1 Nov- 28 Feb. From 1 Mar-31 Oct , no restrictions apply. Personal or Vanity Plates for either AV or EAV is a total of $90.00 a year.
Don't forget normal passenger plates at 115. No restrictions.

Had a great time playing in the snow last week and the rain this past weekend. (have to get a fan for window defrosting...but other than that it was great)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
Fred K-OR

In Oregon it depends on the type of old car plates. The ones I have are for parades, short drives, etc. and they were somewhere around $200 for one time fee.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #34
mshmodela

In Ohio a one time fee for a historic plate and a 1931 Ohio plate cost me ~$40.00 --this past spring.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
Bob C

I just got the renewal for one of my A's and it was only $126.00
got to love CA.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #36
31 Woody

The California renewal is actually $10 per year, but there is a "12 month enjoyment tax" of $100 for a total of $110.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #37
Bib Overalls

Arkansas is $25 one time. Vehicle must be 25 years old or older and in original condition. That means anything built in 1988 or earlier is eligible. See a lot of daily drivers tagged historical. Several years ago a state representative said a lot of people were flaunting the 2,000 miles per year restriction that went with historical registrations. He wanted to eliminate the historical registration program. The legislature concluded the program should continue and that the 2,000 mile annual restriction was "unenforceable" and it was dropped. I like Arkansas.
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #38
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 woody View Post
the california renewal is actually $10 per year, but there is a "12 month enjoyment tax" of $100 for a total of $110.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #39
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
The legislature concluded the program should continue and that the 2,000 mile annual restriction was "unenforceable" and it was dropped. I like Arkansas.
Exactly, How can a mileage restriction be enforced, just another toothless rule.
Hster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #40
C4engr

I have just renewed two Model A Fords for yr 2015

1931 Street Rod 4 Door S/W Sedan....... $129

1931 4 Door Sedan ..............

Both have YOM plates

Gotta love CA DMV..

Roger
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote