Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
rockfallt

Default trailering model A

Have a 1931 slant windshield model A have a chance to pick up a 7by14 enclosed trailer good choice or not?
rockfallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: trailering model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfallt View Post
Have a 1931 slant windshield model A have a chance to pick up a 7by14 enclosed trailer good choice or not?
It's always nice to have your car protected and covered when trailering it. Although the enclosure comes with a different set of encumberences. It's tight trying to get in and out of the car while it's in the trailer.
If it suits your purpose and fits your budget..go for it.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
luckyal

I say put the A in it and see how it fits. The best surprise is no surprise !
I think it will be tight also !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

A covered trailer is nice, assuming you get it big enough, because you can also use it to store your A when you are not using it. I have an open trailer and kind of wish I had put in a little more money into it and purchased a covered trailer. Being I do not have a covered trailer, I don't know if this is true but I would assume you would need more power to pull a covered trailer because of the weight, wind catch, etc. But am not sure of that so others on the Barn can give you ideas about that. If you have a big rig, they you have no problem either way.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
flatford39

That sounds really tight. Try to think about how you are going to tie it down to the floor securely and your access to that. Does it have a power winch with a remote so you can load it. does it have doors on the side so you can open them and have access to securing the front end.

Just food for thought.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
David Martin

I have a 7' x 16' enclosed for my 1930 roadster. I have to leave the top down so I can stand up to walk out of the car. I then have to slide my butt over the fenders to exit the trailer. Unless you are a thin contortionist your best bet is an 8' wide trailer.
David Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
29ModelA

I think that will be REALLY tight. Mine is a 8.5x20 and I just have enough to get my skinny butt out the door.

Length you don't need anywhere near 20', but I wanted a workbench up front. I just have not done it yet.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

agree it will be very very tight front and back and side to side. you might have to climb out through the floor boards to get out of the car unless it has a side door in that area on the trailer.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
A covered trailer is nice, assuming you get it big enough, because you can also use it to store your A when you are not using it. I have an open trailer and kind of wish I had put in a little more money into it and purchased a covered trailer. Being I do not have a covered trailer, I don't know if this is true but I would assume you would need more power to pull a covered trailer because of the weight, wind catch, etc. But am not sure of that so others on the Barn can give you ideas about that. If you have a big rig, they you have no problem either way.
A half ton truck should be able to pull up to a 20' trailer (more with a lighter load in them.), it just KILLS the mileage. I have pulled open trailers a lot with my jeeps on them, and usually got 12 or so, even flat towing. I decided to upgrade this year. My 20' trailer that I just bought towed behind the truck fine, but watching the instant MPG readout said I was getting only around 8mpg

I just brought this trailer home yesterday, I have been mounting the e-track and spare tire etc... today.

If you decide to go enclosed, and buy a steel framed trailer, make sure you get one that has a very good isolation strip where the aluminum meets the frame. I looked at a 6 year old trailer that was full of holes on the side there because there was not proper isolation.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!

Last edited by 29ModelA; 04-23-2013 at 10:06 PM.
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Donvito

I don't think the Model A will pull the trailer very well, especially up hills. :^)
Mike
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Terry Longest

Get one bigger. I was told to get at LEAST a 16'. I ended up getting an 18' vee nose enclosed car hauler and have been pleased. It is still a little tight on the sides. Looks much like 29ModelA's picture on the inside. I pull my station wagon in it with a Tundra (small V8). Gas mileage stinks unless you stay below 55 on a flat road.
Terry Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
I think that will be REALLY tight. Mine is a 8.5x20 and I just have enough to get my skinny butt out the door.
Length you don't need anywhere near 20', but I wanted a workbench up front. I just have not done it yet.
Build that work bench! I have a '99 20' X 8½' Haulmark for my coupe and it suits my needs perfectly. I built a work bench in the front with tool and spare parts storage underneath, a drill press, 6" vise and grinder/wire wheel. I wired in a connection and receptacles for 120 volt power. There's plenty of room to get in and out of the car and its plenty long enough for my steele trunk lengthwise. I pull the rig with a '99 Tahoe with a 350 (210K miles) and get 9.5 MPG (17-19 without the trailer). The trailer serves as a garage and workshop. I have used it at a couple of "away" events and it gives safe, reasonably secure, dry storage for the car at night yet I have a portable workshop with tools, parts and supplies readily available. I couldn't have a smaller trailer for what I use mine for.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
hotrodalley

I have a 7x16 v nose. I use it exclusively for my hi boy roadsters. Tops must be down, and its still a tight fit - even without fenders. I use an open trailer for my closed cars. It is however very nice to tow wiyh a 1/2 ton truck.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
columbiA

If your model A is in any kind of shape at all,why not drive it to where you want to go?They are totally dependable cars if restored properly & will cruise at 55-60 all day at low rpm if you have an overdrive.You will get much better mileage driving the A than towing it.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
John LaVoy

We did a lot of soul searching regarding a trailer. Since it is used as the sweep vehicle for the Summer Tours we put on it needed to be large enough for the Model A and some tools and parts. We went with a 20' enclosed. Scotty chose the smaller one but doesn't have the cabinets for tool storage etc in his. Mine is the one of the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAT Trailers on the road LR.jpg (56.2 KB, 70 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
rockfallt

Thanks to all for info.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
rockfallt

forgot to mention also have a 1929 closed cab pickup in pieces.Haven't started restoration yet so can't measure total height of vehicle to see if it also will fit in trailer with 75in. high door opening Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Russ B

Tight and short. You need it long enough to control/balance tongue weight a bit. I think 16 would be minimum length. I had a trailer for my '29 ccpu a few years back, before I had any garage space. The 7 foot width worked but just barely. Had to take a deep breath to squeeze out the door once you drove the car inside. Then getting off the running board and past the fenders was another tough squeeze. The trailer was my storage garage and not a good one.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Contenderizer

8X20 enclosed works for me (29 P/U or 29 Tudor); I can squeeze in and out just fine. You probably don't need the extra length, but it my case, that's where I keep my wife on long trips.

Before purchasing, be sure to check the width of the door opening as they can vary a great deal by manufacturer.
Contenderizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

It's a major investment, buy the biggest and widest you can afford. If you're like most of us, older and portly (if not, you will be) the 7' wide is going to be (become) a problem. Remember, bigger is better. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote