Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
Shrek55F250

Default 1935 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck Brakes

2 Questions:

1) Is there any info on rod mechanical brakes out there?

2) Would it be easy to change over to hydraulic brake upgrade?

I would like to know any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you very much! Chris in TX
Shrek55F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1935 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck Brakes

Page 3 of the 1932-37 Service Bulletins has information on the truck brakes.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:09 AM   #3
GB SISSON

I have pondered this many times. I love the bigger trucks and have owned 5 or 6. I solved it by selling a really nice '37 1 1/2 ton and buying a '47 2 ton. After that I was more comfortable hauling loads on my steep mountain road. I wish I could steer you to a kit or easy solution. Maybe later model backing plates would bolt to your axles like the car/pickup guys do. Chucks Trucks in Conneticut might have the info. Call him? He's very knowledgeble and a nice guy.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Model51

Chris - It sort of depends on what you intend to do with your truck. Mechanical brakes work very well as long as there is no the slop in the pivot points, they are properly adjusted and the truck has good drums and good quality shoes. If you plan to haul heavy loads, drive fast, drive in traffic, then you might want something different. A 1935 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck was meant to be driven at a more relaxed pace but also haul amazingly heavy loads. One option is to add a vacuum booster which was an option back in the day. These systems used the same rods and shoes but significantly increased the effective pedal pressure and were used on bus chassis and other heavy duty applications. I'm not sure where you could obtain the air brake components, so that's a limiting factor. Before you make significant modifications to your truck, carefully work though all the clevis pins and components and replace anything that's not tight and also look at your brake shoes and drums. Once all of that is sorted out, you may be pleased with how they work. If not, then maybe a different truck would be the easiest solution.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote