Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
mikealex1970

Default Trying to find grandfathers 1926 Model TT

My name is Michael Alexander and I am trying to find out information about the car, and truck my grandfather J.B. Alexander sold in either 1990 or 1991, to a funeral home director in Birmingham MI and lived in the Up’s. My grandfather’s name was J.B. Alexander and his wife was Sarah Alexander and they lived in Warren Michigan on Studebaker. The car was a 1930 Chevrolet 4 dr Sedan and the truck a 1926 Model TT. I know this is a long shot but I didn’t know what direction to start looking. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. I can provide photos if it will help.

Michael Alexander
390 Travis Rd
Martin TN 38237
(731) 223-0114
[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck1.jpg (53.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg truck2.jpg (42.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg truck3.jpg (59.4 KB, 25 views)
mikealex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Trying to find grandfathers 1926 Model TT

Google says there are only two funeral directors in Birmingham MI. You can start there and give them a call.

A. J. Desmond & Sons Funeral Directors
3 reviews · Funeral Home
2600 Crooks Rd · (248) 362-2500

Lynch & Sons Funeral Directors
1368 N Crooks Rd · (248) 435-0660

Such a small town I would think one or both would know of a past/present director that owned such a truck. Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
mikealex1970

thanks for the info. I have contacted these funeral homes and no luck also sent an email to over 170 funeral homes in MI and no luck also.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
redmodelt

I would guess that there is a State overseer of funeral homes. Maybe try contacting them or see if you could look on line for the town or areas newspaper or phone directory. Google his name, maybe you can find a death notice if he has passed.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Have you tried the motor vehicle dept in MI
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
mikealex1970

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
None of the family can remember the funeral home directors name and when I called the vehicle dept in MI I was told I didn't have a good reason for them to search, and I would have to get a private investigator to try to get records and since that was before the computer era, records probably wouldn't be there. I told them the 1930 Chevrolet he sold with the model T had a pioneer plate on the front and I had a picture of the plate and they still said it was not one of the reasons that was in their criteria. Thanks for all the comments I still will not give up
Old 10-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
CharlieB

Wouldn't have had much faith in the DMV to begin with. Since it's before the computer era your chances are about zip there. No one's digging thru paper files if they even exist anymore. You have a lot more info than most trying a search like this. Tantalizing but incomplete. Your biggest problem right now seems to be knocking on the right (e-mail) door and finding someone who will talk to you. How about clubs in your area or in the area the cars were sold? Might find a helpful soul there. It's pushing 30 years. That's a career in most jobs so chances are everyone's gone and the newbee's don't know.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #8
mikealex1970

Got this from my Aunt Reanee Kalvinski. It would have been 1995 that I talked to him to try and buy the car back. J.B. had told me he was a funeral director in Birmingham and I don't remember how I got his name and number. Maybe Sarah gave it to me. But I called him and he told me that he had moved the car and truck up to the upper peninsula where he had restored a cemetery. He had even had his parents reinterred there. I seem to recall that he also restored a chapel. Unfortunately I can't remember what town in the UP. I remember he shared with me how much he liked J.B. and he would probably never know for sure if he bought them because he liked them or he liked him so much. He told me that he had had a building built to store them and even displayed his trophies there. He told me that he did not want to sell them, but offered anytime I was up there, stop in, see them and even take them for a ride. He also said he would keep my name and number with the car should they ever be up for sale after him. That was 22 years ago now. He might be gone as well by now.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
joncrane

Mike
Hopcraft Funeral Home at 31145 John R. Madison Hts Michigan (just east of Birmingham Mi.) had a collection of Model T's in the late 80's and early 90's. Don't know if they are the folks who had your T but you might contact them as a possible lead.
joncrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
mikealex1970

thanks