Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Jordan

Default My car

I have been very hesitant to share photos of my car on this website for the fear that someone sitting behind their computer screen would try to hate on it just because it's not a points car; but then i realized--I don't care what people think of my car because after all, it's MY car. Anyways, this is my car Josephine.

Let me give you a little history, this 1930 town sedan was restored in 1977. In July 2010, my grandpa gave me this car because he knew how much I enjoyed it. I have been an active Model A're my whole life. I started going on Model A trips before the age of 1, and haven't stopped. I remember being a baby and riding in the rumble seat of my grandparent's coupe while grandpa sat with us to hold us in, and grandma drove. Every childhood memory seems to have a Model A in it. Last May, my grandma had a massive stroke leaving her paralyzed on her right side, removing a lot of her speech & erasing a lot of her memory. She has since recovered a little physically, can talk pretty well, and her memory is starting to get better. One thing she always remembers is the Model A's and how much she loves them. Every time I talk to her about it, a big smile comes to her face. On top of this, my grandpa passed away in October. So the Model A is basically the only part of them that I have left. This was one of their cars that they loved, and I'm glad to continue on in their legacy of the model a hobby.

More about the car:
-It has an Inserted motor from Rich in Skokie.
-Although it has a downdraft, if you look closely it's actually running an updraft. (soon being changed to a Weber)
-12 v system
-AC from Ken Davis
-Electronic Ignition from FS
-CB
-Custom trunk from a friend built to match my car
-LED tail lights
-6 blade fan
-Modern VT core radiator that is pressurized
-Look at my tires. They are size 550 BF Goodrich Silvertowns. They are wider & taller than average model a tires.
-Will be installing a 4 speed overdrive this weekend.
--side note. I placed two white magnets on the dash that I could write on like a dry erase board. I wrote instructions on how to start the car for family members who may not know how to properly start it, incase I'm not around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1165.jpg (110.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1166.jpg (41.2 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1168.jpg (78.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1169.jpg (85.3 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1171.jpg (80.5 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1174.jpg (89.8 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1178.jpg (81.3 KB, 358 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31
Default Re: My car

Beautiful looking model a but its just.. you know.. like a regular car...they have shays for stuff like that. Its just not my cup of tea. Srry man.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Stretch Cab

What I see from the little (extras) you have installed is a person who loves their car and probably will drive it more than most. If there is any hate I guess it would be from wanting one like it!
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
What I see from the little (extras) you have installed is a person who loves their car and probably will drive it more than most. If there is any hate I guess it would be from wanting one like it!
I can tell you I do drive my model A a lot more than the people who are on here preaching to stay all original. I drive about 10,000 miles a year.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
700rpm

Not my style either, but I commend you for taking the care to do it cleanly. Mine's stock, and I drive it about 5000 miles per year. I'd drive more, but the weather doesn't cooperate. A stock Model A in itself doesn't limit your miles, if you have the time.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Jordan

Here is a picture of my grandparent's in their coupe that they owned since 1958
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granny_papaw_coupe.jpg (24.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
400A-64

Way Ta Go JORDAN !!! I know that you must have a smile on your face each time you get in your car. Keep up thje pride and enjoy your drive !!
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Steve Wastler

Can't knock you for having a driver, I too can tell you really like driving it. Keep on 'A'ing!!!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelakid31 View Post
Beautiful looking model a but its just.. you know.. like a regular car...they have shays for stuff like that. Its just not my cup of tea. Srry man.
You missed the entire point of this post
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch cab View Post
what i see from the little (extras) you have installed is a person who loves their car and probably will drive it more than most. If there is any hate i guess it would be from wanting one like it!
AMEN !

What is your source for the 550 tires?
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Dave in Boise

Your title says it all ... 'My Car'

It's your car to do with as you please, and I think it's pretty neat! You do have a lot of 'stuff' on it, but then some people are minimalists, and some are accossorizers.

I have a bone stock, minimal 28 Special coupe. Only accessory is a fuse on the starter, and I also have a 31 deluxe coupe with bluedot taillights, chrome doodads, motometer with wings, dual sidemounts, flags, raccoon tails and the lot. I like them both for being what they are.. Unique in their own ways...

Welcome to the forum, and I like your tires.. Are those radials like the guy from Hagerty 365 days of 'a' was running?

- Dave in Boise
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
al's28/33

That's right...it is your car and it's good to keep driving it. I hate to see a perfect clean example chopped up into a hot rod.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
peters180a/170b

OK , its your car....So now i have 2 questions??? 1# 550 tires[ taller/wider....] Do you hit the brake rods in front when turning sharp? and What did you do to fit them in the fender wells? #2 not much leg room with the AC unit there...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Tom from Drippin'

Please explain the downdraft / updraft intake manifold?

OR ..... Is the webber just balanced in there for the photo?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
zzlegend

Good looking car Jordan. Don't listen to people on here that try and pick it apart. It's yours and thats what counts. It does not even come close to a shay. Drive it and enjoy it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Drippin' View Post
Please explain the downdraft / updraft intake manifold?
For people that dont know, this is my brothers car so this is how i know about the intake

That is a holley carb off of a 6 cyl ford falcon i believe. At least thats what i was told when I bought it. They took a stock intake manifold, drilled a hole in the top, and i guess they brazed an adapter on the top for the down draft carb. The beauty about this intake is if your down draft starts acting up, or for some reason you want to go back to up draft, you just instal a block off plate on the down draft and go back to the stock carb which is what the car is running right now. It sits to high, so it needs a fuel pump, which is in the mail as i type this. Its a pretty cool set up, a lot of people look at it and think its using both down and up draft at the same time.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I have been very hesitant to share photos of my car on this website for the fear that someone sitting behind their computer screen would try to hate on it just because it's not a points car; but then i realized--I don't care what people think of my car because after all, it's MY car. Anyways, this is my car Josephine.

Let me give you a little history, this 1930 town sedan was restored in 1977. In July 2010, my grandpa gave me this car because he knew how much I enjoyed it. I have been an active Model A're my whole life. I started going on Model A trips before the age of 1, and haven't stopped. I remember being a baby and riding in the rumble seat of my grandparent's coupe while grandpa sat with us to hold us in, and grandma drove. Every childhood memory seems to have a Model A in it. Last May, my grandma had a massive stroke leaving her paralyzed on her right side, removing a lot of her speech & erasing a lot of her memory. She has since recovered a little physically, can talk pretty well, and her memory is starting to get better. One thing she always remembers is the Model A's and how much she loves them. Every time I talk to her about it, a big smile comes to her face. On top of this, my grandpa passed away in October. So the Model A is basically the only part of them that I have left. This was one of their cars that they loved, and I'm glad to continue on in their legacy of the model a hobby.

More about the car:
-It has an Inserted motor from Rich in Skokie.
-Although it has a downdraft, if you look closely it's actually running an updraft. (soon being changed to a Weber)
-12 v system
-AC from Ken Davis
-Electronic Ignition from FS
-CB
-Custom trunk from a friend built to match my car
-LED tail lights
-6 blade fan
-Modern VT core radiator that is pressurized
-Look at my tires. They are size 550 BF Goodrich Silvertowns. They are wider & taller than average model a tires.
-Will be installing a 4 speed overdrive this weekend.
--side note. I placed two white magnets on the dash that I could write on like a dry erase board. I wrote instructions on how to start the car for family members who may not know how to properly start it, incase I'm not around.

Very, Very, clean up date, and nothing Original hurt. Jordan, I wish I had that one, and you had a better one. Happy Trailing this summer. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You missed the entire point of this post

oh well thats too bad then
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
Louis

How does that reynolds wrap [alum. foil] work where your exh. pipe connect's to your exh. manifold, how long does it last ?
Nice looking car.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
Brubaker

As long as it can still ahoooga!, more power to you. The fact that it will spend a considerable amount of time on the road is helpful(IMO) to the hobby in general. Most non-A folks don't know the difference. Maybe someone younger(or older for that matter) will see it and become interested in the hobby/obsession. Good 'recruitment' tool.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote