Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2021, 12:02 AM   #41
whirnot

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive

I made a sleeve out of Vinyl upholstery material to cover the cable shifter, and main shifter. The more I drive it, the more I love it. Have another ordered for another car.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #42
Jordan

I have seen where people mount the cable to the steering column. The cable does free up some leg room- but when I get the mitchell in the future I will choose to use a shifter. I have driven many cars with the shifter and I love it. Plus- you know where neutral is in the overdrive incase you want to utilize that.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
TerryH

I keep reading about the Mitchell shifter taking up leg room. I have had one for 15 years now in my Town Sedan....but it never gets in the way. I never seat three in the front seat, and don’t ever enter on the passenger side. I find it very natural and handy right where it is....but I guess it doesn’t work for some.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #44
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I keep reading about the Mitchell shifter taking up leg room. I have had one for 15 years now in my Town Sedan....but it never gets in the way. I never seat three in the front seat, and don’t ever enter on the passenger side. I find it very natural and handy right where it is....but I guess it doesn’t work for some.
I'm with you Terry. When the stock trans is in third gear there is not any room in that area anyway. As I mentioned earlier (post #20) I extended the Mitchell shifter 4" so it is about the same hight as the stock shifter.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #45
hermitrob

Paul Shinn made a video on installing an overdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHYlwR7eU
hermitrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #46
Ruth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitrob View Post
Paul Shinn made a video on installing an overdrive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRHYlwR7eU
See post #3.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:42 PM   #47
MickyD

I love my Mitchell in my 31 Tudor. I wish I had one in my 28 roadster but will have to wait a long time as they are back logged. I am on back log and suspect wait is 2 or more years.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:14 AM   #48
Keith

I installed a Mitchell 26% Overdrive early this spring in our 1930 4-Dor Sedan along with the Mitchell syn transmission and am extremely pleased with both of them. Steve was great to work with and along with the help of friends from our Model A Club the install went well. I rebuilt my bell housing completely, brake pedal bushings/shaft etc. before installing the new transmission. I thought my rear pinion bearing and race was good but after taking out the old drive shaft and close inspection the decision was to replace both. My suggestion would be to have new one of both on hand when doing the install of the overdrive. I had to wait a week before new parts arrived and to get my help back. Another positive is that you can have a conversation @45 miles/hour very easily as the noise level it reduced at the lower RPM.
Keith
Old 11-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #49
mitchmanfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
I love my Mitchell in my 31 Tudor. I wish I had one in my 28 roadster but will have to wait a long time as they are back logged. I am on back log and suspect wait is 2 or more years.
Good Morning!

Thankfully the waiting list isn't quite two years, though it is closer to 8-9 months. I left a pretty wordy post on why and how we are trying to close that gap on the forums a couple weeks back.

I also improved our contact page to make joining the waiting list easier than ever. I haven't hit the minimum of ten posts to have links in my forum posts yet, so maybe an admin or other friendly fordbarner can help me out and post the link to the website contact page.

I'm working a way for people to roughly check our current waiting list positions and depths in more real time so stay tuned.

Blair Mitchell
mitchmanfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #50
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmanfc View Post
Good Morning!

Thankfully the waiting list isn't quite two years, though it is closer to 8-9 months. I left a pretty wordy post on why and how we are trying to close that gap on the forums a couple weeks back.

I also improved our contact page to make joining the waiting list easier than ever. I haven't hit the minimum of ten posts to have links in my forum posts yet, so maybe an admin or other friendly fordbarner can help me out and post the link to the website contact page.

I'm working a way for people to roughly check our current waiting list positions and depths in more real time so stay tuned.

Blair Mitchell
Find Blair's post from another thread below. I was on the "wait list" for 8.5 months when I got THE CALL from Steve. Now waiting delivery.

Mitchell contact page:https://mitchelloverdrives.com/contact/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmanfc View Post
Hi Everyone,
This is Steve and Cyndi's son (Not the Cowboy). I figured it was time for them to have an account to interact with the community and help answer questions if it was ever relevant. I also decided it was time to get the Company Cars (29 Coupe, 31 Fodor, 36 V8 Sedan) up and running again and I'm not nearly as handy so also might need to post on here for some help.
Most of what everyone above has said is pretty accurate, since my Dad is more than happy to spend an hour talking "shop", but I wanted to let everyone know a couple silver linings.

Production Rate and Wait List
1. The wait list is as long as everyone says. It currently is about 8-9 Months. We aren't any happier about this than anyone else. It's been a combination of factors, though most of it has simply been staffing. We previously employed up to ~8-9 employees and currently if you count my parents we have 5 and only one of those can do any sort of machining.
2. The silver lining is that we have actually spent most of 2023 changing the production model to have the vast majority of our parts custom made by an assortment of outside suppliers, and then only doing quality control, finishing, assembly, and shipping at our Colusa facility. We are struggling to find any small independent gear cutters, so thats the one task we are still doing 100% in house. This is already allowing us to make back some ground. We really would love to get down to ~6-8 week wait time and we are getting creative to accomplish that.
3. The waiting list process is simple. You can call (though honestly it's tough to keep the phones manned right now as both Steve and Cyndi are on the floor) and make sure to leave a message, email Mitchmanfc @ Frontiernet.net , send an inquiry on the website, or heck you could even message me here. Please make sure we have the following info Name, Products you want, Make and Model of you Ford, a Phone number, and a email. We will add you to the list and let you know your current position number and an approximate wait time at that point. If you don't know exactly what you need or have more questions all of the same apply. Though for more specific questions, you'll likely have to call and talk to Steve. He's not really computer guy.
When you are roughly one month out from expected delivery, we will give you a call and work out payment details. In most cases we will take a $500 refundable deposit at that time, in some cases we might be be able to take full payment and get someone into an existing production run.
If you aren't actually ready for the unit at that time there are a couple options. We can take your deposit and schedule you for when works for you or if you still aren't sure you want to invest in a Mitchell product we can bump you down the list a month (or another multiple of a month, though we can't promise that will work out perfectly) and we will just call you back then to see if you're ready. You'd also likely be able to call in during that prtiod and we could do our best to short list you into production.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ : Email us to get on the waiting list, it doesn't cost anything until you actually get into production.

Cheers and Please Reach out if you need anything with your Mitchell Products. I'll be manning the emails as much as possible moving forward to try to take the strain I can off my parents.

Blair Mitchell
Mitchell Manufacturing

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-21-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #51
mitchmanfc

Thank you!
(Now one post closer to being able to do this myself)
-Blair
mitchmanfc is offline   Reply With Quote