Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default I rebuilt my transmission (With a lot of Help)

I see several posts about transmission issues and thought I would offer some encouragement. I have owned my 36 Fordor Deluxe for about 50 years. Somewhere in the early years first gear got ground off pretty good. Chipped might be a better word. The car has been in storage until recently when I am starting a complete restoration.

Knowing first gear was bad I knew a rebuild was in order so reading posts here steered me to Vanpelt's website. I was torn between rebuilding the transmission myself or having Vanspelts do it. My wife bought me the rebuild book so I decided why not. I opened the case up according to the illustrations, ordered the parts and put it back together twice. I forgot a little tiny pin the first time. My wife paid for the parts too, Father's Day gift early!

I had to email and call Mac a few times but each time he was quick to answer and I am very happy I rebuilt the unit myself and am very pleased with Vanpelt's book, parts and help. It will be a long time before its back on the road but another big part of the puzzle is done!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: I rebuilt my transmission (With a lot of Help)

Stretch.......VanPelt is a great6 guy with a wealth of knowledge....be sure to get his catalog.....if VanPelt doesn't have what you need, not just trans goodies he'll tell you where to get it.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
19Fordy

CONGRATULATIONS on the rebuild. Gives a great feeling of accomplisment.
Mr. Van Pelt can't be beat.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gives a great feeling of accomplisment.
Mr. Van Pelt can't be beat.

Wellll……...They say Charlie NY doesn't do too bad. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
flatford8

Congrats on your job well done!!.....when it comes to transmissions and carburetors....I hide under the bed!!....like your tag line under your posts!!....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Great Job - glad you tackled it . . . is not that difficult if you have the right parts, the right tolerances, etc.. I have a precision 'surface grinder' that really helps me set the main-shaft end-play (minute work on the thrust washers) as well as the cluster gear back-lash. It can remove .0005 or less at a time. I keep the tolerances on the lowest side of the specs.

I buy a lot of parts from Mac - he's a solid dude. I just sent Charlie NY four loaded main-shafts to do some magic on the 2nd gears. He, Mac and I all believe that having very tight tolerances/fitment in the main-shafts, cluster shafts and second gears is critical to stopping the all too common "it pops out of 2nd gear on heavy deacceleration" problem that so many folks experience.

I'm currently rebuilding four 39 transmissions, two with 25T LZ gears (need spares for my HotRods . . . ). I actually wish I had a better transmission option for my 32 Cabriolet - but I don't want to modify the dang frame. I only wish I had a 37 LaSalle transmission that was modified to fit in a 32 with a stock torque-tube. Anybody have one laying around???
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote