Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
oldf1guy

Default 1949 F2 Pickup

Hey guys, I have got alot of GOOD info and advice from you guys in the past on my old Fords. My friend has found a 1949 F2 Pickup. It is all there and has the Flathead V8 and 4 speed in the floor. I haven't seen it in person yet, I am going Thursday to look at it. My friend who called me about it said it has some rust on the front fenders and hood but not bad at all, it's red but the paint is faded. He said it has been sitting in a shed for about 20 years, but the motor turns. I know the truck will need work, but I would like your thoughts on buying a F2. I have only seen 2 in my life and I am 59 years old. I know most people like the F1 because the short bed just looks better than the long bed F2. I think a little different from most people and think a F2 would be cool just because you don't see many of them. I need to tell you guys the truth and tell ya'll that I don't plan to keep the truck just get it running (if it will) and put it up for sell even if it won't run. I am dissabled and on a fixed income and I am just going to try to make a dollar or two, because dissability dosen't pay my bills. So what do you guys think, is there a market out there for a F2? Or would I be wasting my time AND what little money I do have!!! Any input from you guys would be more than welcome!
oldf1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: 1949 F2 Pickup

F2s and F3s do not have the market coverage that is enjoyed by the F1.

First of all, an F2 has a non-synchonized four speed; it takes getting used to, ie double clutching.

Secondly, there is the rearend ratio, which is a whopping 4.86:1, think 50-55 mph. Finding the elusive 4.11:1 gears to make it highway friendly is tough. Many people will swap in a later Dana 60 from a Ford to get highway friendly gears.

Thirdly, finding replacement parts for the bed, if needed, is difficult as no bed parts are reproduced for the express.

In general, the 3/4 tons don't have the following as they are bigger, slower, rougher-riding, and aren't sought after by the dark-siders for street-rodding.

But, if you are like me, the above reasons are why I wanted my F3, in addition to the fact that is a Marmon-Herrington 4wd. You will not be one of the herd.

Other than the cab, doors, and hood, no other external body parts interchange from the F1 to F2-F6s.

There has been a bit of a surge in popularity for the F2-F3s. My estimation is that for now, you probably wouldn't see the return on your dollar with an F2 like you would with an F1. Just be sure you are going into it with eyes wide open.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
mtflat

I agree with 1952henry - if you just want to flip it your market isn't very large. Unless you can get it for next to nothing, it would probably be worth more parted out as guys are always looking for boxes, tailgates, running boards, shock/spring brackets and any other F2 specific parts.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
I agree with 1952henry - if you just want to flip it your market isn't very large. Unless you can get it for next to nothing, it would probably be worth more parted out as guys are always looking for boxes, tailgates, running boards, shock/spring brackets and any other F2 specific parts.
Good point! Sad, but true.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

I have owned a few F2, 1951,52. Had no trouble selling them, local guys use them as Saturday trash and treasure haulers. The 52, a friend of mine bought-he was bug bombing the truck in his driveway and his neighbor bought it off him for something to run around his parents farm. Send me some pictures and I will ask around.
[email protected] I live in Western SC
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
ford1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
sadly what was posted is true, no one seems to want the long beds, not even the more modern trucks 60-70's, all want the short boxes, that one is a crape shoot as to making a few bucks
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
oldf1guy

Thanks for your opinions on the F2. You guys are always a big help. I kind of had the same feeling, but I was hoping it would not be this bad. I figured they were so scarce because they were REAL farm or work trucks back in the 50's and were thinned out because of that. I found out this morning that the truck has no title just a bill of sale! He is only asking $500.00 for it, but with the title issues and what you guys have said I guess I will pass on this one. Wish it was a F1 it would already be at my house!!!!
oldf1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldf1guy View Post
Thanks for your opinions on the F2. You guys are always a big help. I kind of had the same feeling, but I was hoping it would not be this bad. I figured they were so scarce because they were REAL farm or work trucks back in the 50's and were thinned out because of that. I found out this morning that the truck has no title just a bill of sale! He is only asking $500.00 for it, but with the title issues and what you guys have said I guess I will pass on this one. Wish it was a F1 it would already be at my house!!!!
i ve had f1 f2 f3f1 is the only way to go goodluk.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Brendan

i think a rough riding double clutching old ford truck would be neat!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
38 coupe

I really like my F-2. A heavy three speed can be swapped in instead of the 4 speed crash-box, if you must have synchros. I admit to purchasing a Dana 60 to put in mine.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
46ford

I loved my F-3. Paid next to nothing for it. Got lots of offers to buy it after I rebuilt the brakes and put a new clutch in it. Learned to double-clutch on that truck. Actually had a usable bed and good load capacity, but mine did maybe 45 mph tops.

I miss it.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Brendan

i think that driving the crash box would be half the fun!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
makemc

they drive rough, ride rough, go slow and just beat you to death,
which is great, reminds me of my days as a kid riding in my dads
old farm truck down the dirt roads of southern alabama....Ernie
makemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
mtflat

Don't get me wrong, I have a 52 F2. Also have a 48 F1, 48 F6, 50 F4 and a 52 F6. Grinding gears is normal activity and can be entertaining. Obviously I like the big trucks! The short F1 isn't very practical for hauling - mostly just a 2 seat run-about.

fwiw: I just finished getting registration completed on the 50 F4. Bought it with just a bill of sale. Then the fun began. Had to go back and get a notarized bill of sale on the state approved form, have a police report done verifying the serial number, another paper telling how I tried to find the last registered owner, and finally an insurance bond because I paid more than $500 for it. The bond cost me another $100.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
alanwoodieman

if you don't want it send me the name /number for it
[email protected]
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
denverslim

Smile Re: 1949 F2 Pickup

All the reasons for making the F-2 so doggone unpopular are exactly why I love mine. Rough-riding, rear-end-whining, looks-like-grampaw-going-to-town, all the character of an old prize fighter, I put a Hone overdrive in mine, it'll go a lot faster than the old brakes will stop it!
We don' want no stinkin' chrome-bumpered, girley-man, half-ton!...slim

Last edited by denverslim; 01-26-2011 at 08:48 AM.
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post
All the reasons for making the F-2 so doggone unpopular are exactly why I love mine. Rough-riding, rear-end-whining, looks-like-grampaw-going-to-town, all the character of an old prize fighter, I put a Hone overdrive in mine, it'll go a lot faster than the old brakes will stop it!

thats what i mean, that is a cool truck!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post

i don't think the lady in my avitar,Barbra Stanwyck would not like to ride in a f-2

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
mtflat

Slim, thats a twin to my 52 w/ regards to color and the amount of paint left on it. I like your "when pigs fly" hood ornament : )

I have recently acquired running boards and have another front valance to replace the ones chopped by the logger who used to own this...

Last edited by mtflat; 01-26-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #20
F6Forrest

Like the name sez...................
The big ones are a hoot!
F6Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote