Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
dlevy

Default Repro 1930-31 Front Fenders

Hi,

I know this topic has come up before, but it has not recently so looking to see if there have been any changes.

It is my understanding that Gaslight is the only company that makes the 1930-31 Model A front fenders (they even sell to Howell's) and they are using one of the original dies to stamp them.

I have also heard that in the past, the fit is not so good and they require a lot of work to make them fit.

Anyone know if this is still the case and if so, what are the areas where they do not fit correctly/need work?

Thanks,
Dave
dlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Repro 1930-31 Front Fenders

it is here............

Considering buy new fenders for 30 coupe... questions

just enter new front fenders in search............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
darrylkmc

Default Gaslight Repro 1930-31 Front Fenders

Gaslight is the manufacturer of the '30-'31 Front Fenders, attached is what Snyder's writes in their catalog as of 2016 regarding the Fit and Finish of the Gaslight fenders. Generally, l am happy that Snyder's describes what they sell, l have learned to Read Into the description of certain items though.

I was fortunate to get a set of the First run on these fenders, l got the left and had to wait 6 months to get my right fender once they got production going, then they had both in stock.

My experience differs greatly from what l have read regarding the Fit and Finish of the fenders which have been produced for Several years here, there are numerous previous threads regarding these fenders.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...4779&showall=1

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68399

There are more threads, l Googled "fordbarn.com Gaslight" and found numerous examples. Results seem to vary, A fender is better than no fender.

At the time l was building a '31 pickup, l ordered Rootlieb Splash Shields and Running Boards and the fit was about as perfect as one could hope for. Also Attached is a photo from the mid-80's of my project.

I do recall, because the fenders must be shipped by Truck, that at the time it cost me nearly $1,000 per fender by the time l got them to Interior Alaska. So l was very happy that they fit so we'll.

Hope this is helpful

Darryl in Fairbanks
25f degrees below Zero in the Interior
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signal-2021-01-27-061528.jpg (77.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg user9967_pic24188_1385058581.jpg (42.2 KB, 44 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Dave, Ronn is pretty spot-on as Bob McConnell has not had new fender dies made. At his age, the ROI is just not there.

As far as the areas that do not fit, mostly around the body apron attachment area. Also, while not a fitment issue, there is also an issue around the wire-edged detail portion where the edges are not vertical original. Somewhere out in cyberland is a couple of write-ups where I show how to make appropriate modifications to make them serviceable. For someone who is decent at fabrication and welding, these repro fenders can be made to work well. Just don't expect to have them bolt-on right out of the box.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
Stretch Cab

I have thought that someone could make a couple bucks if they could buy the new fenders at a dealer's price, make the corrections and offer them ready to bolt on. The price would turn many away but I think if the correction was good there would be a market.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
Bob C

Here is Brent's article. http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/fender/fender2.html
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
ronn

Stretch,
though these cars were mass produced, I doubt you could just make the same corrections on all of the fenders and expect them to "just fit"

I may be wrong in that and I understand the principal, but most guys today want things to fit better then factory. Doubt that the factory paint job would be anywhere
close to a 25k paint job today. Just my opinion on how things change and expectations.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I bought some Fenders for my ‘30 Roadster from Brookville but haven’t put them on yet. Does anyone know if they are a problem also?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
jwmckenzie

I understand that Brookfield has the Gas Light dies and is doing the stamping. Gas Light is then putting the wire in. Brookfield guy told me this at Carlisle this last fall.

I expect the same problems exist as always.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmckenzie View Post
I understand that Brookfield has the Gas Light dies and is doing the stamping. Gas Light is then putting the wire in. Brookfield guy told me this at Carlisle this last fall.

I expect the same problems exist as always.
Thanks JW. I notice that a lot of those restoration programs on TV point out that most aftermarket sheet metal is rarely a bolt-on situation. Most after market stuff has to be massaged to fit.

I would think that I could make pattens from my old fenders and transfer them to the new ones to simplify the fitment. I’m just going to go to a body shop to fit them as I don’t have the skill to do it myself.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #11
jwmckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Thanks JW. I notice that a lot of those restoration programs on TV point out that most aftermarket sheet metal is rarely a bolt-on situation. Most after market stuff has to be massaged to fit.
Never put a repo panel in that didn't need some work. Original iron for that matter either.

Good Luck. I am working a set of original fenders now, keep looking at the repop but can't justify the cost. I am not paying shop rates for sheet metal work, I am on my $0.05/hour rate.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Hi-jacking this thread a bit, ...is there a difference between a 'patch panel' and a 'repair panel'? If so, what is the difference?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
alexiskai

My understanding (which could be wrong!) is that all patch panels are repair panels, but not all repair panels are patch panels – for example, a backing panel.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote