Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Boxcar

Default Building my own complete wood kit for 31 Coupe

The Iron Butterfly Coupe project has ventured back to an old hobbie for me...woodworking.
Taking this salvaged remnants of a kit and completely making my own kit because I'm a cheap ass.

You can keep up with build here:
https://youtu.be/6wvi2UxbWpM

Using native Fl cypress (mill is down the road from me) believe it'll be a good choice. So far, so good.
Beefed up Henry's original bow design...once 7/8's now 1" x 1 3/8ths. And I bedazzled with a routered bead along the bottom edge. I'll notch the ends after I get the main sides built. Waddya think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201205_155353_compress10.jpg (45.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20201205_155339_compress75.jpg (69.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20201205_091322_compress52.jpg (42.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Boxcar; 12-05-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: Building my own complete wood kit for 31 Coupe

I'm impressed! If you enjoy woodwork (I don't) then that is a project made in heaven for you. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Boxcar

Appreciate that Greg.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Stretch Cab

I absolutely love cypress. What have you done to be absolutely sure that it is dry? Cypress tends to want to move.

Last edited by Stretch Cab; 12-06-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Boxcar

Good point stretch... I'm at 10%.....which fits within a regional standard of 9 - 14% for this application.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201206-131843_Chrome.jpg (30.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Two or three things. #1, remember that when you deviate from original Ford dimensions on Rear Window Frame, Quarter Window Frame, Front Rail and Roof Rails, you affect how the upholstered trim panels will fit.

#2, please let me know how you do timewise (approximate is fine) on cutting & fabbing, -and on installation. I know how long it takes us, but I am curious how we compare to others.

#3 -can't remember the third thing I wanted to ask!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
Boxcar

I promise you there will be no comparison on the timing factor. As for panel fitment...my only deviation to date is the perforations of the top rails. My car is a Sport Coupe that will be grafted with a 5 window so not exactly a straightforward assembly process. I see significant challenges ahead with a few pieces (some like a spaghetti noodle) i don't have cnc...ill be getting by with a router table, plainer, jointer, and hand planes.

Your mention of panel fitment...any panels used would be those made by me...so not a factor.

Biggest motivation in building my own is that I have some equipment and time...and saving some $$ is nice too!

Last edited by Boxcar; 12-07-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
I promise you there will be no comparison on the timing factor. As for panel fitment...my only deviation to date is the perforations of the top rails. My car is a Sport Coupe that will be grafted with a 5 window so not exactly a straightforward assembly process. I see significant challenges ahead with a few pieces (some like a spaghetti noodle) i don't have cnc...ill be getting by with a router table, plainer, jointer, and hand planes.

Your mention of panel fitment...any panels used would be those made by me...so not a factor.

Biggest motivation in building my own is that I have some equipment and time...and saving some $$ is nice too!
I am unaware of any pieces for a 45B or 50B that are 'spaghetti like'. Most are robust enough.

Looking at your list above, you should consider adding a Band Saw to your arsenal of tools which would help you tremendously. We use an old 'restored' Powermatic 143 that has been 'hot rodded' with upgraded rollers, modern urethane tires, a 1½ hp motor, and a 3 tpi blade. You can rough pieces out in a hurry and then finish them on your router table or shaper.

I'm not sure on the "saving you money" part as some will tell you that for the time you spend fabricating your own wood, you can go to work part time for McDonalds restaurant and if you work the same hours, you will have enough money to purchase a commercial kit and have money left over! The real satisfaction will be that you can boast that you did it yourself.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am unaware of any pieces for a 45B or 50B that are 'spaghetti like'. Most are robust enough.

Looking at your list above, you should consider adding a Band Saw to your arsenal of tools which would help you tremendously. We use an old 'restored' Powermatic 143 that has been 'hot rodded' with upgraded rollers, modern urethane tires, a 1½ hp motor, and a 3 tpi blade. You can rough pieces out in a hurry and then finish them on your router table or shaper.

I'm not sure on the "saving you money" part as some will tell you that for the time you spend fabricating your own wood, you can go to work part time for McDonalds restaurant and if you work the same hours, you will have enough money to purchase a commercial kit and have money left over! The real satisfaction will be that you can boast that you did it yourself.
Nothing against any cook or fast food worker, BUT as for me, I would rather spend 10 hours in my woodshop than 5 flipping burgers!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
McMimmcs

I think the reference to McDonalds was an analogy rather than a job specific.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
Boxcar

My Delta Model 20 is awaiting a set of urethane wheels and a new blade.

My reference of Spaghetti was an an analogy Brent. But to be transparent.... I get it, "you professionally build these kits" ...your level of equipment exceeds mine"...."your kits components may exceed mine"..... there you go. Think of the posts I just saved you from drafting up.

!For all...Copying this original woodkit is an exercise of the possible for me with the experience, time, and equipment of a small shop. As you contemplate your future woodkit needs and you find yourself missing one or two of the components above...you may consider contacting Brent from 10 ah C.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
My Delta Model 20 is awaiting a set of urethane wheels and a new blade.

My reference of Spaghetti was an an analogy Brent. But to be transparent.... I get it, "you professionally build these kits" ...your level of equipment exceeds mine"...."your kits components may exceed mine"..... there you go. Think of the posts I just saved you from drafting up.

!For all...Copying this original woodkit is an exercise of the possible for me with the experience, time, and equipment of a small shop. As you contemplate your future woodkit needs and you find yourself missing one or two of the components above...you may consider contacting Brent from 10 ah C.
So that we are all clear, ...we don't do kits. I am excited to see your progress. Keep posting as you make progress.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
Boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

#2, please let me know how you do timewise (approximate is fine) on cutting & fabbing, -and on installation. I know how long it takes us.
Ok.......stay tuned

R/
Boxcar
Old 12-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
McMimmcs

Every time you make a part you should make two and comprise a kit. Then sell the kit to finance other parts of your build. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #15
Boxcar

That's something I've been considering along the way. May be a great way to finance my builds....less time dealing with the CEO too!!!