Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default '34 Mechanical Brake Rods

Originally, were the straps (B-2502) used to support the front brake rods made of leather? Also, what material was used on the rear brake rods support (B-2503)? Where can the correct straps/supports be purchased....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: '34 Mechanical Brake Rods

B-2502 without a suffix was the initial front brake rod support for the '32s and it was made of spring steel wire. An 'A' suffix was added to that part when the support was redesigned and released as B-2502-B which was made of fabric-reinforced rubber fashioned in a loop, not leather. It was used through the end of '34 model production.

The rear brake rod support for '33-'34 (40-2503) was of the same design as the second '32 version (B-2503-B) but slightly longer reflecting the longer wheelbase of the 33-34s.

The attached photo is of '32 brake rod supports, but except for the overall length, that shown in the upper left hand corner is the design of 40-2503.The front support, B-2502-B is shown in lower left hand corner.

I believe that both the front and rear supports are available as reproductions, although that for the rear is only fair at best as the base does not conform to the curvature of the rear axle radius rod cross section where the support is attached, unlike those in the photo below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 130.jpg (27.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 12-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
petehoovie

Exactly the information I needed.....Thank you, David....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
DavidG

You're welcome!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
B-2502 without a suffix was the initial front brake rod support for the '32s and it was made of spring steel wire. An 'A' suffix was added to that part when the support was redesigned and released as B-2502-B which was made of fabric-reinforced rubber fashioned in a loop, not leather. It was used through the end of '34 model production.

The rear brake rod support for '33-'34 (40-2503) was of the same design as the second '32 version (B-2503-B) but slightly longer reflecting the longer wheelbase of the 33-34s.

The attached photo is of '32 brake rod supports, but except for the overall length, that shown in the upper left hand corner is the design of 40-2503.The front support, B-2502-B is shown in lower left hand corner.

I believe that both the front and rear supports are available as reproductions, although that for the rear is only fair at best as the base does not conform to the curvature of the rear axle radius rod cross section where the support is attached, unlike those in the photo below.

What do people use for those of us that have twin rear rods -One for the e brake and one for the normal brake -I believe was a requirement for some countries -Karl
Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
DavidG

Karl,

It was similar to the single rod support, but of course accommodated two rods. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of one.

A while ago, Michael Driskell (thirdgenautomotive.com) had some NOS ones.