Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
bullrunmotor

Default 40 Ford-T-5 Open drive shaft conversion retaining stock rear and rear wishbone advice

Gathering info to run a Tremec 5 speed behind my 59A in my 41 pickup. Have found all parts for the open drive conversion. I want to retain my stock rear, buggy spring and wishbone WITHOUT-if possible- cutting the rear wishbone. Can anyone recommend a plate that fits along with or replaces a portion of the center section to utilize the stock torque ball end or at least-if I have to split it up front would not be a big change in angle etc with helm joints fitted?. I see kits with relocation plates forC-4 and Turbo 350 but to T-5's. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:35 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 40 Ford-T-5 Open drive shaft conversion retaining stock rear and rear wishbone ad

I've used the complete open drive conversion kit from Hot Rod Works in Idaho on several 35-40 chassis. Your 41 pickup should be the same. One of the parts they offer is a bolt on plate that goes on the X member and mounts the stock bones. I would also recommend their Torque Arm kit as the stock Ford rear bones are not designed to take the vertical torque on acceleration. They will do fine holding the forward and backward movement of the rearend.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #3
Pete

Default Re: 40 Ford-T-5 Open drive shaft conversion retaining stock rear and rear wishbone ad

You are going to have to beef up the wishbone or make new radius rods.
Attaching it/them as close to and directly under the front u-joint.
This works quite well because of the rear end not having very much travel up and down.
Remember, the wishbone or radius rods now transmit 95% (5% to the spring) of the forward force while taking ALL of the rotating force from the rear axle.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

My avatar with a flattie and T5 uses a 35-36 rear with stock wishbones attached to a home-made plate up front with about 6” cut off and tie rod ends attached to the plate. I then made another “arm” to the inside with of the wishbones coming off the rear melded up into the stock wishbone just before the tie rod ends with plates welded to both the original rear radius rods and additional rods to either side similar to the Hot Rods Works before they even came out with the kit. And I run piston shocks. It’s a stock 32 frame, lighter than the 35-40 frame, but I have had no problems after 85k + hard miles. Krylon32 knows my car as we were with the Rolling Bones @ Bonnevile in ‘13 together. I like the 35-36 rear better as I feel the radius rods are stronger and with the added bars stop the rear front “rolling” forward or back on hard acceleration and deceleration. I have run flat out at 85 mph and I’ve been totally airborne - all 4 wheels off the ground - on some pretty poor roads in the Midwest. The setup works for me. I can provide pics if you’d like ….. I run a similar setup in my 32 coupe with a Buick nailhead and Cobra 5-speed with a 9” and a 35-36 rear radius rod setup. Much more torque but the setup is super strong.

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 04-06-2023 at 10:46 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #5
tubman

Calling "V8Coopman". Calling "V8Coopman".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:43 AM   #6
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Calling "V8Coopman". Calling "V8Coopman".
Denny, Coops setup wasn’t open drive. His retained the complete torque tube......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Denny, Coops setup wasn’t open drive. His retained the complete torque tube......Mark
i know. I just thought since the guy wants to keep the Ford rear axle, he may want to keep the torque tube as well. Many out there don't think it's possible. What's the point of going open drive if you're gonna keep the original rear axle?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #8
Pete

Once again, here is the conversion to keep the torque tube with ANY transmission.

file:///RACECAR/T5%20to%20early%20Ford%20rear%20end.%20-%20The%20Ford%20Barn.webarchive
Old 04-07-2023, 08:17 PM   #9
Pete

Here are some more pics.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:46 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here are some more pics.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote