Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
av8paul

Default 11 inch pressure plate/T5..fit??

OK, I got my dead engine out and it's in the stand. I had a reply to an earlier post with doubt about an 11 inch fitting. I held the 11 inch PP against the throw out bearing and it looks very close. Anyone on here have any first hand knowledge using the 11 inch in a T5 set up? Thanks, Paul
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Grandadeo

Default Re: 11 inch pressure plate/T5..fit??

Paul, you might try Andy (thunderbirdesq ) or TomT on here and the H.A.M.B. I seem to remember them both posting about clutch/flywheel issues. I'm sure there's plenty of others too.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The only bad thing about the big 11 inch Long type pressure plate is that it's SO HEAVY. The flywheels are pretty much all the same profile on the 8BA types but the holes are drilled in different places. In the interest of time you might see if you can find a machine shop near your Arizona location that can drill the 8BA flywheel for the clutch you have on the 59A flywheel. That would put you right on track with your T5. If that's not an option, you will have to find another. What clutch is with your old power plant?

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
37fatfender

The 11 inch pressure plate may fit, but I think the problem you'll have is finding a 11 inch clutch disk with a T5 spline. Contact Cornhusker if any knows if there is a 11 clutch disk with a T5spline they will.
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
George G

The Chev astro van too an 11 clutch. Works perfect.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
av8paul

The 11 inch clutch issue is dead. I tried positioning the engine in the car without the PP installed. The crankshaft pulley sits almost on top of the crossmember. The loaner engine will have to go back to Richard.

Now I have to go in another direction......that's hot rodding.....never give up.

I'm off to the American Legion for a martini!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Pete Fl/Wi

You might want to consider having your flywheel redrilled fo a S-10 pressure plate and use the stock clutch fork modified to fit the S-10 throwout bearing. The diaphragm type clutch is easy on the leg.
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

If you were to use Skips water pumps you could run the 59 crank pully, You'd have to cut off the seal area. There might be a problem with the dist, but if you shin out the generatoe 1'4 inch it should clear. That's the system I used on Ken Schmits engine.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Walt Dupont--Me.

Hey Paul, we have an 8ba engine in my friend Ken Way 29 roadster pickup, you've seen it. It also has a T-5, I believe we used a merc B-B pressure plate because we had it with a lightened wheel. Anyways, seeing that your only going to use this set up for a few month the old Ford thro out brg should work fine with the 11in. plate. Even if your disc is smaller I don't see why it won't work with the 11in. plate. NOW, Ken has that engine in with the 8BA truck pumps. I think we cut the front shive off the 8BA pulley and he had to cut some of the lip off the A cross member. He can just about squeze a wide belt down there. I don't think he has the original Model A plate on top of the cross member that the U bolts go through and the hand crank goes. I don't know what he did on top of the member. Anyways, it's in the R-P with the stock gen in place and has an electric fan. The radiator in stock location, he didn't cut the firewall any and the stock hood on and you'd never know it had a hot flathead in it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
av8paul

Here's a shot of the mount and where the front pulley hits the cross-member. Even if all of this end got worked out, I still have to fit the 11 inch PP into the T5 adaptor. We're flying home in two weeks, for the Holidays and then we'll drive out with our good engine in the back of our truck, install the good engine (I know this one fits, it's been there before) and play thru the rest of the Winter.

Time for bed, it has been a very long day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8RT installation-no go 007.jpg (70.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Hamtown Al

Bummer, Paul. Hang in there. We're all pulling for you. Be safe and keeping working on that lemonade! All the best, Al
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8paul View Post
Here's a shot of the mount and where the front pulley hits the cross-member. Even if all of this end got worked out, I still have to fit the 11 inch PP into the T5 adaptor. We're flying home in two weeks, for the Holidays and then we'll drive out with our good engine in the back of our truck, install the good engine (I know this one fits, it's been there before) and play thru the rest of the Winter.

Time for bed, it has been a very long day.
This is your best decision in your situation and that you have the ability to rectify the situation with a known engine/result. You could make the 11" clutch setup work - I even have a 11" clutch disk - but this is not your best way to resolve your issue. Hey, you'll be spending more money than you need to spend.

Keep us all posted once you return with your engine and get everything straightened out - plenty of help here should you need it!!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote