Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Repop Parts
Do like the idea 29 55.77%
parts are fine but should not have original name on them 11 21.15%
dont like the idea, devalues original parts 1 1.92%
parts should be dated 7 13.46%
state opinion 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
1934calkid

Default Repop Parts

I am sure this has been discussed but lets take a poll, recently in the last few years there have been a lot of remanufactured parts, lets use the "New Ron Hogan twin plug Heads as a example" do you people think that these parts should be remade and sold as Ron Hogan Heads ? even if they are NOT made by him ? if I was spending all that money to put a product out there and It was of such high quality wouldn't you want your very own name on the parts ? or if the part had no name to begin with, I.E a un-named Angle drive of high quality would be fine ? vote as you see fit with comments if possible.....
1934calkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
itslow

Default Re: Repop Parts

Who now owns the trademark?
How exact are the reproductions to the originals?

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
1934calkid

It's not rocket science.....it a poll on repop parts...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
19Fordy

Reproduction parts are fine as long as they are of high quality, made to OEM specs and actually fit as the originals did. In fact, they may even be better than the originals, such as the reproduction ARDUN conversion kits. If parts are reproduction, they should never be sold, advertised or presented as original OEM parts, even if they have the original FoMoCo logo. Just think of all the reproduction sheet metal now available, thank goodness. (By the way, punctuation checker is your friend.) http://spellcheckplus.com/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-29-2016 at 10:47 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
SofaKing

What you are describing sounds like false advertising with the intent of committing fraud by representing a product as something other than what it is. It is grounds for a lawsuit here in Utah, all other states I expect.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
1934calkid

Not even close, the parts are represented as there name on the parts, but we're not made by the original person, what are they ?......
Old 03-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
petehoovie

We need parts. Never discourage the manufacture of quality 'Repop Parts'. I don't care who's name is on them as long as they fit and are durable. Like 19Fordy said above....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Barry-ct

I agree with 19Fordy. Unfortunately, we are getting some low grade stuff.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
peewee2you

Imagine if no parts were reproduced, the cost we'd have to put out to get even a good useable part would be thru the roof. I'm happy to work with a part of good quality even if they are made in a mass' which reduces the cost of the item, so that it is affordable to get these cars back on the road or maintain them as they are. just my opinion
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934calkid View Post
Not even close, the parts are represented as there name on the parts, but we're not made by the original person, what are they ?......

So your saying once the original individual is no longer producing their products such as Hogan his name should no longer be used? Hogans patterns were sold and the rights to using said patterns and name are part of the deal. Are you saying their quality is not the same as original? How about Navaro should his name be stricken from his pattern also? Or Austin the list can go on for a long time. Continuing production using the original name has been going on for a very long time.
Are you so sure that Hogan did not reuse another individuals pattern made by another hot rodder from NZ or maybe Australia.

The answer to your question above the word is reproduction.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

[QUOTE=Ronnieroadster;1267186]So your saying once the original individual is no longer producing their products such as Hogan his name should no longer be used? Hogans patterns were sold and the rights to using said patterns and name are part of the deal. Are you saying their quality is not the same as original? How about Navaro should his name be stricken from his pattern also? Or Austin the list can go on for a long time. Continuing production using the original name has been going on for a very long time.
Are you so sure that Hogan did not reuse another individuals pattern made by another hot rodder from NZ or maybe Australia.

Agree 100%. Seems odd. People already bitch about the price of parts and cars. Imagine if ONLY NOS parts were available to the hobby. The only guy able to afford it would be D. Trump.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
39topless

Quote:
http://spellcheckplus.com/ (thank you 19fordy)

Last edited by 39topless; 03-29-2016 at 05:25 PM.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Funny as heck. The incantation not lost upon me
Old 03-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
jimTN

I also agree with 19 Fordy. What ever is made should be at least nearly as good (durable) as the original and must FIT!
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
itslow

Quote:
It's not rocket science.....it a poll on repop parts...
Your example is someone reproducing parts and then sticking a name on it that they may or may not have trademark or design rights to use. If they have the rights, it'd be a legitimate part whether from the original production run(s) or not.

If someone is going through the trouble to make an exact duplicate, then why would they want to put their own markings on it instead of matching the originals? That'd defeat the purpose of all the work to duplicate all of the other features. Of course, this now gets into intellectual property rights issues, assuming they are still applicable and have not expired.

The whole topic is not as simple as voting on a list of arbitrary options. Is the subject matter something like the Ardun heads, a complete '32 body, random small parts, etc, etc?

Personally, when it comes to reproducing parts such as heads, intakes, etc, I'm fine with the practice but like the idea of some sort of date code or other distinguishing mark that indicated it's from a modern production run and not an "original" from "back in the day".

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
imagine if no parts were reproduced, the cost we'd have to put out to get even a good useable part would be thru the roof. I'm happy to work with a part of good quality even if they are made in a mass' which reduces the cost of the item, so that it is affordable to get these cars back on the road or maintain them as they are. Just my opinion
x2!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I believe Hogan's parts are now being made by his son here in New Zealand.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:55 AM   #18
Knezevic

Let me see, you are suggesting a revolutionary shift in the way the flathead speed equipment market is currently operating?? Hmmmm, let's ponder this thought.....
As already mentioned aftermarket products such as Navaro are marketed outside of original manufacturer and why not if legal to do so? I personally want and enjoy provenance with the products I purchase. Having the name Navaro on a pair of heads, even though repop, is absolutely a key feature. Product quality and representative name mean everything. Can I pease ask why are you singling out the Hogan twin plug heads to establish your argument???? Seems odd as the aftermarket flathead speed equipment industry has been around for years to the benefit and enjoyment of all flathead devotees. Seems that you have allot of time on your hands mate.
Knezevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #19
Automotive Stud

As it is there are parts repoped with original logos, some by the the original manufacturer and some not. Then there are guys like Charlie Price who make stuff with his brand on there now. I think that's fine too. I'm grateful that there are aftermarket parts still available for us to keep these cars on the road, and there are different options available for whatever you feel comfortable putting on your ride.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
edhd58

I fully support repop parts. I have reproduction ignition coil on my car because I wanted 12v coil and oem was 6v. It looks like oem but is not, nor will I say its original.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote