Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Dennis Pereira

Default Bending Door Hinges

I'm trying to fit a passenger side door on a 1929 coupe . The problem is when closing theres resistance about 1"inch from snug on the B pillar . I can see a small mark where the lower inside half of the door hinge is hitting the cowl post . Do I need to bend the door hinge towards the front ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Door Fit 001.JPG (62.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Door Fit 002.JPG (85.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Door Fit 003.JPG (98.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Door Fit 004.JPG (69.7 KB, 142 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
unclerichard

Default Re: Bending Door Hinges

It looks like your door gap at the cowl is already very narrow. Moving it forward would only close an already minimal gap. Are those the doors that came with the car or a door your are trying to fit? Possibly the wrong door??
unclerichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Marco Tahtaras

It's tough for me to tell what's happening or exactly what your problem is. However there is one thing that I've found most folks overlook. From past door tweaking, it's not unusual for the doors to be damaged along the jams. Inspect your door gaps INSIDE the car. They should be quite even top to bottom. It may not be quite as evident with your '29 Coupe due to the front windlace flange. The inside edges of the doors SHOULD NOT be bowed fore or aft.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Dennis Pereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerichard View Post
It looks like your door gap at the cowl is already very narrow. Moving it forward would only close an already minimal gap. Are those the doors that came with the car or a door your are trying to fit? Possibly the wrong door??
These are just some doors I'm trying to fit .
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
desotoguy

When all is "right" with the hinge alignment, both the door and the a pillar, the holes in the hinges will align. Check and recheck with a small laser, long straight edge or the like before you start bending the hinges.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Dennis Pereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerichard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
It's tough for me to tell what's happening or exactly what your problem is. However there is one thing that I've found most folks overlook. From past door tweaking, it's not unusual for the doors to be damaged along the jams. Inspect your door gaps INSIDE the car. They should be quite even top to bottom. It may not be quite as evident with your '29 Coupe due to the front windlace flange. The inside edges of the doors SHOULD NOT be bowed fore or aft.
Marco I visually checked inside alignment things seemed to fit good as far as vertical and horizontal but I found a few things I need to finish . Such as finish B pillar wood fastening and maybe the Door opening cover strip at the top . When I pull the door closed it hits at the bottom left and the top right corner with about 3/16 " of an inch 3/4 of the way down before it gets tight at the bottom .
Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Dennis Pereira

I know its hard to guess at a problem from some photos . And because I started at the sub rails it could be anything . I done a lot of welding and wrinkle removing .
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Logan

Is your car on a frame? or a squared up surface? In the photos it looks like it is just sitting on some stands. This will cause the body to tweak a little bit, so door gap will get messed up.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

My 29 Tudor does the same thing. I'm sure due to the missing check straps the wind caught it and slammed it too far open, bending one of the hinges. This happened before I bought the car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
Gus

Dennis,

I am facing an almost identical problem as you on my 29 Tudor. I too have replaced full length subrails, rear cross channel, cowls, and the lower 6" of all body panels. That means I am aligning everything from scratch.

I notice your body may be temp mounted on wooden blocks/frame? I would suggest not bending anything until it is mounted on the chassis so you can align the doors when they are in their 'final' position.

My probelm door has been cracked around the check strap mount so the front edge hinge 'face' isn't square any more. I will repair this first. Also, is your A pillar bolted in its final position? If it is slightly twisted it will affect the hinge alignment.

If you need to 'open' the lower hinge to allow room, consider that the door will be slightly lifted at the back edge. A rag in the hinge when you close the door can do the job nicely so I am told.

Good luck.

Gus
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
RHD

Try placing a small block of metal 1/2" x 2" between the door and the hinge and gently try closing the door. You may have to do it in a few places. I have seen it done with problems like yours and it worked extremely well.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
V4F

on doors , not trying to steal the thread ... my drivers door is out at the bottom , but good at the top . 1931 (early) coupe . how can i close the gap at the bottom ? .. thanks .. steve
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
Dennis Pereira

Thanks for the help the body is on a steel tube frame that helps keeps things level and plumb . I have one more door to try before I decide which one to tweak to fit .
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
on doors , not trying to steal the thread ... my drivers door is out at the bottom , but good at the top . 1931 (early) coupe . how can i close the gap at the bottom ? .. thanks .. steve
As a bodyman , I have had to put a twist in doors that fit like yours. It really doesn't take a lot of force. Do this at your own risk... I would hold the lower bead of the door against my knee while pulling out on the upper rear door frame. I would do this with the window down so as not to put pressure on the door glass. It will be trial and error untill the door fits as needed. If you go too far , just reverse the procedure Most model A door adjustments are made by shiming the body, springing the door, as in bending the hinge or twisting the door. Modern cars have adjustments but many times also need a slight twist to properly align.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Steve Wastler

My Fordor drivers door is a little hinge bound about an inch from closed, obviously due to the wind effect blowing it open, actually broke the check strap. This was done before my ownership, my fix, if I get time to enjoy working on it, is going to be a wood dowel between the hinges and a little body pressure, should be able to tweak it back.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
Tinbasher

It looks like the hinge has rolled forward so you need to bring the hinge back. One way to do this is to put a small hardwood block in the hinge and put pressure on the back of the door. This will roll the hinge to the rear. Go easy so you don't bend the door frame. If the hinge won't move you may have to use a little heat to help it along.
Do one hinge at a time and work towards getting about 3/16" gap top to bottom.

This should solve the problem. The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: Bending Door Hinges Update

Several FORDBARNERS suggested placing a block of wood between the hinges and cowl post this helped. Along with adjusting the 1/4 window sheet metal at the reveal where it meets the B pillar the corner was sticking out a little . And I loosened some of my top wood kit I think it was bowing out at the curved panel above the Door . The door will close with out spring back now. There's one small spot the size of a pencil eraser that's rubbing on the B pillar when I close the door . I'm going to finish the wood kit and tighten every thing and see whats next . Thanks