Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Anyone with the "Dirty Word" knowledge

I've been asked to look over, inspect and give advice on a 1932 Chevy 5 window business mans coupe. ANY have a clue as to how "unusual" a 32 Chevy is....I would have to think its up there given all my years of being around old cars I don't think I have ever seen a 32....Plenty of 30-31's but not 32's???? Its a true "barn find" (garage find) type car, looks to have last run about 1975/76. Just looking at Ebay there were NO 32's of note, plenty of 31's. Given what I saw, A restored version I would think might be in the 30ish to 40ish plus thousand (asking)???? Any thoughts welcome.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Anyone with the "Dirty Word" knowledge

Pat Ganahl fixed one up back in the 70s or 80s. He ran a 6 cylinder in it. I remember the body had a lot of wood in it when compared to a Ford.
When it comes to value it's anyones guess?
How many Fords are still worth what we hope they are?
I think the Chevys are probably rare due to lower survival rate due to the wood, and the relatively lack of popularity that we have always had with the Fords.

You could try shooting Pat a pm. He's pgan on the hamb.

Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Pat Ganahl fixed one up back in the 70s or 80s. He ran a 6 cylinder in it. I remember the body had a lot of wood in it when compared to a Ford.
When it comes to value it's anyones guess?
How many Fords are still worth what we hope they are?
I think the Chevys are probably rare due to lower survival rate due to the wood, and the relatively lack of popularity that we have always had with the Fords.

You could try shooting Pat a pm. He's pgan on the hamb.

Thanks Mart, more effort than needed at this point as I still have nt physically seen the car. Yes I also know they had a lot more wood to them than our beloved Fords!!! NOTE my avatar was the same, way more wood than a "normal" 32 Ford SO I have a "great" education as to what and how to look at it from that stand point!!! I know how the "old car" market is SO.....I will keep posted IF anyone is so Interested!!!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
jimTN

The 32 Stovebolt is definitely a good looking car with its chrome horns, doors in the hood and so on. Drawback is the wood. They do not command the price of a Ford and usually would require a buyer that has a thing for Stovebolts. Not a 30 grand vehicle.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

I believe they have wood sills which 80+ years later can be a problem.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:57 AM   #6
Aarongriffey

My Dad always had a fairly new model T Ford in the T times, even bought two new ones the same day.
A roadster without battery and starter and a ford or with battery and starter.
But after Chevy came out with the six cylinder engine he decided to try a Chevrolet so he bought a 1932 Chevrolet roadster.
I can’t remember riding in it,although I did many times, I do remember my mother opening the kitchen door and hollering at the goats to get off the roof though.
Around 1939 the folks traded it for a used ‘36 fordor at the local Ford dealer. I remember us going home with it.
That is the first time I remember riding in the back seat all by myself. we were stuck with the used Ford all during the war until January of 1947 when we got a new sedan coupe, or was it a coupe sedan? and he bought nothing but Fords and Mercurys ever after. Always new.
The Chevy was hard to start at -40F. The Fords and the 9N would always start. Even the flat six F5.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
35fordtn

I owned a 32 chevy coupe for a day. Very nice original unrestored running car. Found out a “good” wood kit cost $9200 so I sold it at a loss. They are neat cars but are not worth much. That same car I had, had the wood replaced and was sold again last year and only brought $7800
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
rockfla

Here are a few pictures of how the car currently sits IF that helps!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32Chevy1.jpg (77.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 32Chevy4.jpg (36.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 32Chevy7.jpg (41.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 32chevy8.jpg (24.4 KB, 134 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
corvette8n

Not a bad looking car, I had a ‘36 Pontiac 2 door sedan. Lots of wood inside, passenger door was off, the wood was all rotted. I cleaned it up and sold it off.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
richard crow

it,s a gem. i would just clean it up fix what is nessary a drive it as is
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
it,s a gem. i would just clean it up fix what is nessary a drive it as is
Depending on the inspection, OR as of right now, This is my exact feelings too!!!!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
flatford8

I know this doesn’t help with your question, and I’m not sure if you’re only interested in restored cars but, a friend of mine has a ‘33 Coupe Cxxxx Hot Rod. He replaced all the wood with square tubing. He’s been running it off and on for probably 35 yrs......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

... posted on wrong thread!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
DavidG

If the doors don't sag or fall off when you open them, that's a good sign as there isn't a single piece of body structure made from steel in the entire body. Good looking in their own way, but it's the extent of the wood used in their construction that accounts for their low survival rate compared to their Ford counterparts, even though there were more of them produced than Fords.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
jimTN

What you have there isa 32 series BA Confederate fairly early Standard coupe. Later in 32 they offered side mounts and dual horns. It appears to be missing the horn(s) and front bumper. I would place the value less than 10 grand. NADA low retail is $8,000 medium retail $14,050. Repop parts are few and far between for early stovebolts.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
RB

A top notch 32 Chevy 5w coupe with 48,000 miles, original paint /top/& interior sold at the Greenfield Ia.swap meet 2 years ago for 17,000 was a really good buy in my estimation.
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #17
Frank Miller

What does the person buying it want from the car? If they expect to just be able to get in it and turn the key to take the kids for ice cream forget it. These cars require constant maintenance, especially as this does not look like a fully restored vehicle. If it has provenance from new that might mean something. I've seen so many cool looking Chevrolets, Pontiacs and Plymouths from the 30s and nicely restored their prices come no where near what a Ford is worth.
Remember this could be a 48 year old restoration on a 40 year old car. Seems like a new category since I was a kid.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
Ol' Ron

I had a 33 in high school, Paid 40 bucks for it. Had a rumbule seat in back. Pretty fast car for the day.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
What does the person buying it want from the car? If they expect to just be able to get in it and turn the key to take the kids for ice cream forget it. These cars require constant maintenance, especially as this does not look like a fully restored vehicle. If it has provenance from new that might mean something. I've seen so many cool looking Chevrolets, Pontiacs and Plymouths from the 30s and nicely restored their prices come no where near what a Ford is worth.
Remember this could be a 48 year old restoration on a 40 year old car. Seems like a new category since I was a kid.
Frank
The person who has the car inherited it from his Grandfather (or Grandfathers Estate). He has a real estate business here in town and would like to have it "Restored" and use to park in front of houses in the "historic" section of town to take pictures with as well as having a "keepsake" from his Grandfather (so I believe there is a "history with the car). I have not met personally with him yet!!! I was contacted by a neighborhood friend for many years and asked IF I would look at it and give him my advice on what to do!!! SO It's my intention to A) Find out from him what "restored" means to him? What his expectations are of the car within his framework of "restored"? Then advise him of the cost of replacement parts, rebuilding parts, etc etc and a relative value of the car from all points of from where it sits to 100% concours restoration!!! Then he can make his mid up as to what he wants to do!!!
Old 09-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #20
Ggmac

Checkthe wood !, termites , ants , rot .
I have a 30-31 on a ford 34 frame . There was no wood left saving . The entire body is tacked / nailed to wood frame ( coachwork ) i used angle iron inside and only had the 34 frame ready and running so its a 30-31 3 window on a 34 ford frame = a 31 3 window doodlebug .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote