Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
todd j

Default Suggestions for Model A body on rotisserie

I have a '30 Brookville Model A roadster body that needs some work on the bottom of body. I plan to set it up on my Whirly Jig rotisserie. I am looking for suggestions on how to avoid flexing of the body when I do it. I plan to leave the doors on with a ratchet strap to hold them shut. I will also bolt in or tack weld a brace from side to side or from front corner to opposite rear corner. The floor pans are also still in car.

Any suggestions/recommendations to prevent flexing? Pictures of what you have done are appreciated.
Thanks
Todd
todd j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:23 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Suggestions for Model A body on rotisserie

I restored a 31 roadster using a rotisserie. I made bracing for the inside of the body to stiffen it.
I used the 2 holes in the rear jam that attaches the dovetail to attach the brace across the door opening. I welded a 1/8 inch plate with holes in it to the edge of the front door jam. this can easily be removed when finished or as I did, I just left them in place as they are covered by the kick panel. The braces across the door opening is inset so the doors will still open and close. I have a cross brace between the rear door jams that I bolter to the door opening braces. This arrangement worked very well.

I hope this helps,

Chris W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2489 (640x480).jpg (179.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2515 (640x480).jpg (157.1 KB, 71 views)
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To brace, -or not to brace. We actually do them both ways on a rotisserie, as they do not flex enough to create issues. The common denominator for us is we do not leave the doors on. You really need that area for accessing the inside of the body. I have included pictures of a few 40B bodies we have done showing our basic method of bracing.

With the above said, if you are doing floor sill work, I would recommend that it NOT be on a rotisserie. It needs to either be on a frame, -or a jig that replicates the frame. This allows you to tie the body at each of the mounting positions, and it allows you to keep the body square at all times. As you are likely aware, the typical rotisserie has flex in all directions so it can actually rotate the body. If you are insistent on being able to rotate the body, then consider mounting the body to a jig or frame, and then mount the frame/jig to the rotisserie.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01186.jpg (86.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1287.jpg (45.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5014.jpg (65.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02102.jpg (83.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02120.jpg (84.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01667.JPG (138.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01707.jpg (100.4 KB, 60 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
KenBolton

Don’t know where you are Tod, but I have a build frame on legs and rollers I would consider selling in NW Wisconsin.,
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote