Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Just Got Another Broken Generator P.O.

Thanks to the wonderful handling by the post office I just received another generator with a broken pulley. Notice the thick cardboard packing material. The seller used it on three sides, but not on the pulley side of the box. Still any normal handling should never have broken the pulley.

To try to prevent damage, the pulley needs to be wrapped in cardboard or Styrofoam. One of the best ways to protect the goods is to place them in a plastic bag, and make sure the box has two or three layers of corrugated cardboard on all 6 sides, then fill all the voids with spray foam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator 1936 Broken 2.jpg (72.0 KB, 229 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Just Got Another Broken Generator P.O.

Looks like they gave it the drop test.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would love to go undercover and follow the package through the entire trip to see how they manage to damage and loose so many things. In the early 70's I worked at UPS unloading semi trailers, and we never saw any damage like every box I get these days. Instead of hand picking a package onto a conveyor belt, I think the post office uses a front end loader, then dumps them into a cement mixer.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
denniskliesen

I've had the same problem with FedEx lately. Most of the vendors use them instead of UPS now.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I've had the same problem with FedEx lately. Most of the vendors use them instead of UPS now.
I recently learned that Fed Ex uses the post office for many of the final delivery, so now you don't know who to blame for the damage, and they can blame each other.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I recently learned that Fed Ex uses the post office for many of the final delivery, so now you don't know who to blame for the damage, and they can blame each other.
And, on the other side of the fence, FedEx transports mail for the Post Office. Here in Anchorage, the FedEx terminal is across the street from the USPS terminal. You can see the tote "trains" with the aircraft cargo containers crossing the street between the two all the time.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
I would love to go undercover and follow the package through the entire trip to see how they manage to damage and loose so many things. In the early 70's I worked at UPS unloading semi trailers, and we never saw any damage like every box I get these days. Instead of hand picking a package onto a conveyor belt, I think the post office uses a front end loader, then dumps them into a cement mixer.
I thought occasionally they do to kind of self audit. They secretly ship a box of gyroscope and shock sensors and see what the results are. Logs time of day and minute so it can be traced back to an individual if needed. Sometimes it cant be helped - rough road, turbulance, etc.

I always over package stuff. Sure it may cost a touch more but whats it going to cost for a new whatever I ship? I use anything from grocery bags, newspapers, obviously old shipping materials, etc. I would have bubble wrapped that generator and do the shake test myself. I package boxes so tight and over tape all around the outside so its bulging with packing material - if the object cant move most likely it cant get damaged.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
silversink

spray foam and plastic bags are wonderful packing supplies
Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
MikeK

Just wait 'till they start using drones for delivery.
Packaging for a 100' drop will become mandatory.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
Pickupman

Talking Re: Just Got Another Broken Generator P.O.

Quote:
Thanks to the wonderful handling by the post office I just received another generator with a broken pulley. Notice the thick cardboard packing material. The seller used it on three sides, but not on the pulley side of the box. Still any normal handling should never have broken the pulley.

To try to prevent damage, the pulley needs to be wrapped in cardboard or Styrofoam. One of the best ways to protect the goods is to place them in a plastic bag, and make sure the box has two or three layers of corrugated cardboard on all 6 sides, then fill all the voids with spray foam.
They only way to ship heavy items is by building a wooden box. It doesn't matter who the carrier is: Fed Ex, UPS, or USPS. We've been down this road with all three. Since using wooden boxes we have not had anything broken.
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Cool Hand Lurker

The biggest mistake in shipping anything heavy is to rely on paper packing. Whether it is newspaper or special packing paper it will compress when the heavy object is thrown or dropped and the packed item will bounce hard. You can't let it move at all inside the box.
Spray foam, chunks of styrofoam, cardboard folded into triangular tubes, ping pong balls, all work to keep things in place. I have sent lots of things to guys in Iraq & Afghanistan in the USPS flat rate boxes and pack them with baggies of real peanuts, Tootsie Rolls, hard candy, magazines, etc. so that nothing goes to waste. Maybe to the waist, but not to waste! They like everything in the box!
Newspapers are only good for reading or fish wrap.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
HammerSaw

I was told if you use a wood box you need to put cardboard around it, if you don't you will pay more for the exposed wood box. Go figure
HammerSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
The biggest mistake in shipping anything heavy is to rely on paper packing. Whether it is newspaper or special packing paper it will compress when the heavy object is thrown or dropped and the packed item will bounce hard. You can't let it move at all inside the box.
Spray foam, chunks of styrofoam, cardboard folded into triangular tubes, ping pong balls, all work to keep things in place. I have sent lots of things to guys in Iraq & Afghanistan in the USPS flat rate boxes and pack them with baggies of real peanuts, Tootsie Rolls, hard candy, magazines, etc. so that nothing goes to waste. Maybe to the waist, but not to waste! They like everything in the box!
Newspapers are only good for reading or fish wrap.
True
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
eagle

On the other hand, I've ordered hatching eggs and had them shipped usps many times and only once had broken eggs. Usually good hatch rates too. Also live chicks, one time the local post office delivered live chicks to me on Sunday afternoon. Maybe you need to mark your generator "hatching eggs"!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
todd3131

It always comes.es down to how it is packed I have shipped heavy things in cardboard and they got there in.good shape. Last fall we shipped the cast iron grill for the Buick to the plater in a beautiful crate but was broke when it arrived the crate was in damaged I did pack it well enough not a cheap mistake it was my fault it got damaged.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
Dave in MD

USPS has also contracted with DHL to ship some items. I had thought DHL had ceased most operations in the US.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MD View Post
USPS has also contracted with DHL to ship some items. I had thought DHL had ceased most operations in the US.
Dave
Ive noticed DHL seems to be more focused on the "between cities/countries" than the "depot to home" routes.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
ronn

Tom,

sounds like the problem is closer to your end of the post office.

Ive never come close to all of the damage you receive.

wondering if someone has a vendetta near you?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Tom,

sounds like the problem is closer to your end of the post office.

Ive never come close to all of the damage you receive.

wondering if someone has a vendetta near you?
It sure seems that way. We have a lot of bad workers at the local post office. I just checked tracking on a Delco glass battery jar, and it just arrived at the PO this morning, so I will leave in a few minutes to go pick it up. That will save one more postal worker having a chance to break it. If it arrives not broken, I better go buy a lottery ticket.

In the 80's my Popular Mechanics magazines were always arriving with torn covers and wrinkled pages. The local PO denied any responsibility, but after I complained, the damage stopped.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
1928Mik

Wow, we ship out via UPS every day and I would never pack up a heavy item in that manner.. Most people just don't know how, or they just don't think ahead nor have access to packing materials.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote