Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Broke Down

Updates are good. So, is Momma's appetite for cackleberries & grits back on for next Sunday? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
CaliforniaBorn36

Great thread. Could one of the experienced Forum members outline the procedure on the 6 ft. jumper wire idea?
1. Using a 6 ft wire with alligator clips, where does it get hooked up?
2. What issues can one run into, is this good for a short 10 mile run back to the
garage or longer if you are out somewhere without access to replacement parts?
3. Is the Condenser with alligator clips just another option or is that the temp fix for
a different issue? Is this using the Napa IH200 Condensor? Again, what would be
the hook up?

If it makes a difference, I have a 36 with the tube type coil conversion, otherwise stock mechanicals setup, ( 6V Pos ground, with battery under floor)

Sorry if these seem like elementary items, but I am returning to the flathead world after a 35 year absence and I want to start building up my confidence to make longer trecks from home. Car broke down twice right after buying and one of those times, it sounds like the jumper wire would have gotten me home instead of arriving home on the back of a tow truck.

Thanks
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
gkgeiger

My thoughts are that the 6' jumper wire will only help if you aren't getting juice to the coil, which I was. With a bad coil the only thing you could do would be replace it. As far as the condenser with a jumper wire that would help if the condenser was bad and causing the problem. I will be carrying spares with me.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
OLD...BILL

Yes a temporary (fix) or a patch, but will it get you home, yes if done right. the 6 ft. jumper wire, is just that. You clip on the hot side of the coil, hot side would be the wire coming from the ignition switch. The other end of the jumper wire clips on the hot side of the solenoid, that would be the side with battery cable on it, ( should have other wires there also ) the other side of the solenoid, goes to the starter... you will be bypassing the ignition switch, the resister, the wire from the ign.sw. to the resister, the wire to the coil,... they all or one part can be part of a let down, sooner or later .... The jumper will not fix a bad coil, however full 6 volt may wake it up. for short time ?? IF I were to make up the jumper wire, I would fix a new resister on one end with the alligator clip made up ready to go on the coil. I would take a close look at how long a wire do I need, a full 6 foot seams a bit to long, I would run it along side the intake back to the fire wall, to the solenoid, and make it just long enough, ie No extra wire under there after I close the hood and get under way....
I'll try the condenser later... "" it goes between the coil and ground on the dist. side of the coil"" ,.???.....OLD....BILL

Last edited by OLD...BILL; 09-03-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling fix
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote