Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: '39-'40 Hood alignment

I have assembled 4 different 40 front ends. 3 of them took days to get to get the hood to work right tweaking all of the above mentioned places on the hood and hinges. I just finished my own 40 wagon and was using a pair of NOS hinges, NOS brackets with springs and both front fenders were NOS. I bolted the fenders on just snugged up, brought the hood down slowly for a test fit and everything fit perfect the first time! I was shocked. Must have been how it was on the assy line, they didn't have time to fight stuff. I know it is obvious but if you can find any NOS parts they will be superior to any of the repro stuff, even if they were taken off the line due to some minor defect.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Fourdy

Default Re: '39-'40 Hood alignment

I have the repops on my 40 with the same problem of fitting. One evening after a big car show I closed the hood and the nose of the hood promptly came down between the center of the grille and the driver headlight. wth! A rivet on the passenger side had come out.

Long story short. The rivets had been rotating in the hole and worn down the miniscule pounded rivet flange. (what do you call it?) The part that was supposed to move, didn't and the part that wasn't supposed to move, did. Took everything apart and welded the rivets. All works smoothly now but still does not align properly. I too will be looking for some old stock hinges.

Just my .02

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)